Dining room inspiration needed!
carriescott
I'm looking for some inspiration!

This is our dining room. We need a table, chairs, rug, chandelier and curtains. The only thing that stays is the buffet and the sheers.

We live in Switzerland and renovated this house, which was built in 1910. A square motif is carried throughout starting in the doorway wainscoting, on the foyer tiles and on the dining ceiling. It is a strong house with structure and character.

We have a 4-year old son, and a baby on the way in January. So we need to be able to clean the table, chairs and rug.

The dining room is the center of the house, so I'm really hoping to get it right. As you can see in the photos, you can enter the room from the kitchen, back porch, living room and foyer.

I'm looking for some inspiration! I'm looking for a room where people walk in and say, Oh wow what a great space! Thanks in advance.
elisesutton
Beautiful floor and ceiling a coloured rug could brighten the room and make the floor stand out a bit more.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 4:33PM
elisesutton
My instinct would be to lose the curtains and go for blinds in a dining room. A colourful chandelier would attract the eye to the great ceiling. Kids thrive on colour and fun. If you are into it, Fung Shui may have some colour ideas for you. Good luck. Beautiful House.
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 4:37PM
closetdecorator
LOVE LOVE LOVE the ceiling! I would definitely leave it white. Start with a rug that you fall in love with and go from there. You can pull a darker paint color from the rug you select and that alone would make the ceiling and floors really pop. For sheen/texture I have always had great luck with long silk panels in my dining room. And....I have three little one's. The panels are not in a walk way and have never been an issue. And the finishing piece would be your selection of chandelier. It truly is like finishing off an outfit with the perfect piece of jewelry. Something sparkly would really reflect the light up into the beautiful ceiling. Have fun and good luck!
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 4:52PM
Here is an example with more traditional dining set to work with the existing buffet unit.

1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 6:07PM

Love your room…herringbone flooring and that great ceiling. Parson style dining table and a great chandelier which will draw the eye upward to appreciate that ceiling.
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 6:14PM
Aggie Purvinska
OMG, a herringbone floor! Wow does it call for the New Restoration Hardware Tables and maybe the Louis Chairs??? Or maybe Black? Love your Buffet! I would recommend no rug here.

[houzz=Maxwell Dining Table]

[houzz=Philippe Starck Style Louis Ghost Chair, White]

[houzz=Black Magic 10 Arm Chandelier]

[houzz=Restoration Hardware]
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 6:21PM
Hibbler-Properties
Absolutely, beautiful features in ceiling and floor. I'd leave the ceiling and trim as is and look for a mid-tone color that will compliment the flooring. Sherwin Williams paint makes some beautiful grays for a more classic style. Go with venetian blinds for a more eclectic style or long drapes (slightly darker hue than walls but not too dark) for a more formal look. Pull it all together with a medium/large chandelier beautiful chandelier that would become the rooms focal point and really make the room stunning. Good luck!
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 6:35PM
MUMMEINTERIORS
Great bones and architecture. I can picture this room eclectic mixing the old with the new. A wonderful printed wall paper would be great on the walls, large rug, interesting chandelier. I would do a distressed would table, it is a little more forgiving with children. Accessories will bring everything together. Good luck. I will attach some samples for inspiration. (The small star chandelier I could see a grouping of three) The dining chair I would put a modern finish and tailored fabric on.
Good luck! Matt

For more design inspiration visit my blog: http://mummeinteriors.wordpress.com
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 6:53PM
MUMMEINTERIORS
I am posting a range of fabric samples for inspiration to go with chairs and finish on previous post Matt
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 7:03PM
katewest60
Love the idea by Dytecture-The first picture-Walls not painted grey (I think everyone has had enough of that color), and animal prints are simply an easy way to get out of looking for more attractive fabrics and textures!

It will look beautiful when finished-A lot of great ideas here-Depending upon whether you like Traditional or Modern !

Depends on how much your budget is-Restoration Hardware can be very costly - The Loius chairs are nice as well as not too expensive-Depending upon which fabric you chose?!!

Of course, one starts with a great rug, and finishes off with a chandelier!

All above are great ideas!
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 5:47AM
katewest60

All above are great ideas!
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 5:47AM
Would love to see your floors done as below. Is the one wall wood? Can't tell much about it in the pic.

0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 6:04AM
MUMMEINTERIORS
Regarding animal prints. As an artist I love using animal prints as accents. There are so many different textures, colors, and animal prints it is just as challenging to select. Fabric samples above are for inspiration and to get the mind think outside the box. Hope everyone has a great Friday!
Matt
0 Likes   November 9, 2012 at 6:20AM
Need inspiration for small dining room
Just took down the old wallpaper and now stuck. Looking...
Formal Dining Room needs inspiration!
My formal dining room is off to the right as soon as...
Need inspiration for dining room!!!
Currently re-designing a contemporary dining room. Have...
Inspiration and ideas for lounge/dining room.
Hey :) I just bought this established unit. I am now...
What should we do with this master bath?
Just bought a 1959 split level colonial that is in...
I need help selecting a sleeper sofa for my den
I have a small den (10' x 13'). One long wall has...
Room function division
Trying to find furniture that would divide and visually...
PLEASE help! Looking to refinish & fill-in grooves on hardwood floors.
My hardwood floors have grooves in between each board....
Benjamin Moore Dove White-- the right white?
Thank you everyone in advance for your input. I appreciate...