Help with living room
paglezr
What window treatment should I use in this room? Would dark brown, sheer, floor to ceiling panels look good? Would grommet top panels be appropriate? Also, I really want to hang up some family pictures on each side of the sliding door but I am not sure if it would look balanced because the left side is smaller than the right one. We have built-in shelves on the left corner with picture frames on them and on the right side you can see a dark brown accent wall and there is a fireplace too. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
smldesigns
I think whatever you use for draperies, they don't need to go all the way to the ceiling, but 8 or 10 inches above the door and several inches to the left and right. You have to consider two things - one is do you need more light or privacy - i.e. will you have to close them? That will also determine if you use sheer or opaque. From what little I can see of your furniture draperies with grommets would look nice - though I don't know if they make sheers with grommets.

As for hanging pictures - I don't think they should be hung anywhere (whether photos or art) unless they are hanging over something - exception may be a long hall or looking in a room over a DR table.
November 8, 2012 at 9:22PM     
houssaon
I would not do dark brown sheers, but I can see grommet top panels. As for the grouping of pictures, I think that they can be of different sizes, but there should be something that ties them together, like this group of all black and white photos (one is missing) with the same frames: Decor by Jennifer Inc Or this: Shoshana
November 8, 2012 at 9:35PM     
paglezr
Thank you! This really helps.
November 8, 2012 at 9:36PM   
JMittman Designs
I don't mind seeing dark brown sheers. Grommet panels would be fine. And yes, you have a lot of space from the window to the ceiling, you don't need to take them all the way up here. I also like the picture groupings shown above. I have something similar in my own home.
November 9, 2012 at 6:29AM   
paglezr
Do you think I should use a valance too?
November 9, 2012 at 7:55AM   
houssaon
I would not use a valance.
November 9, 2012 at 8:04AM   
JMittman Designs
Ditto @houssaon
November 9, 2012 at 8:25AM   
Nancy Hehmann
I also would not use a valance. Look on JCPenney.com -they have a large selection of draperies with grommets. I would also buy them before I get the drapery rod b/c, grommets come in different sizes. For nice drapery rods, go to Lowes or Home Depot.

I have similar patio doors with the same wood colors and I do have dark brown drapes. I like them. Mine are not sheers though. I leave them open a lot; but in the winter if they are heavier than sheers they cut down on heat loss. Have fun!
November 9, 2012 at 8:34AM   
smldesigns
Agree - no valance
November 9, 2012 at 9:40AM   
You have plenty of room either side to have a "stack back" for the treatment. Once the depth of the stackback when open is determined, you'll probably have room for two nice size family pics hung one above the other on each side of the door. Be sure they are matted and framed and are of the same size for balance. Then, I don't think the difference in the two sides of the window will be noticed.
November 9, 2012 at 10:11AM   
Transforming Rooms
You can see lots of before & after photos (with window treatments added) on these two
sites:
http://www.Transformingrooms.com - window treatments are in all areas (not just wind treat section) http://www.Interiordesigngreensboro.com - in search box top corner, type in window treatment ideas

If you need privacy, you could put wide panels that open and close (or roman shades that raise and lower). Or, you could have single width panels that are will make your room feel finished (add a nice texture & color, and they would make the ceilings feel taller). You'll learn a great deal on this web site and blog. Have fun with it!

Here are examples:
November 9, 2012 at 11:06AM   
Very blue tiled retro blue bathroom
Need ideas for wall color & decor!! Any help would...
What's the hardest thing to clean in your house?
Surely there is something in your house that involves...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Icky Decor; Cool Room
Hi from Louisiana! We moved into a much bigger house...
Lost with this living room!
Love this room but at a loss as to how to furnish it....