Help with Kitchen tile
minellicoyle
I am getting rid of laminate floors and changing over to porcelain tile. Does this calacatta white tile in a diagonal pattern match my kitchen? I was thinking of using gray grout. I've attached current pics of kitchen.
minellicoyle
Other view of the kitchen and tile
November 9, 2012 at 6:38pm   
A recent poster has tile like yours with gray grout and HATES it. She says it ends up looking like dirty grout. How about a tile that looks like wood...with barely discernable grout lines instead?
November 9, 2012 at 6:42pm     
minellicoyle
We have laminate bamboo floors in the rest of the house. It will be hard to match tile that looks like wood with it, and I want to stay away from laminate in the kitchen.
November 9, 2012 at 6:45pm   
Heidi Ross
What about a multi color slate that ties both your counter /backsplash and grouted in a coffee color? In the picture the tile you have looks way too light
November 9, 2012 at 7:34pm     
Ahhh. How about cork squares or slate? I only say this because I know several people who have what you are proposing and they want to replace it. Search "slate floor" or "cork floors" and there are quite a few beautiful options that may work with your cabinets and nearby bamboo flooring.
November 9, 2012 at 7:36pm   
I'd go with a somewhat darker tile. I also advise you to take a bottle of water with you to the tile store and splash water around to check each tile you're seriously considering to see if it's slippery. Test with your bare foot or palm of your hand.
November 9, 2012 at 8:15pm   
olldcan
Stay away from the diamond pattern, it's been out for ten years. I think a tile that's a bit more grey no pattern would be good. Go large 12x24, 16x16, 16x32 the white is too stark and a bear to keep clean.
November 9, 2012 at 8:25pm     
minellicoyle
Hubby absolutely loves the white tile....I'm starting to rethink the wood looking tile. Maybe something gray, and run same direction as the bamboo flooring in the rest of the house?
November 10, 2012 at 6:04am     
olldcan
That grey is nice, has a soft pattern to it and would definitely compliment your kitchen. As for the white, yes it looks nice however it's a bear to keep clean. Every piece of hair, crumb, lint shows, it's enough to drive you mad.
November 10, 2012 at 6:10am     
anitajoyce
Nice tile. Do you like cleaning floors a lot. If so, then get the white tile. The white tile makes the room feel cold. You could choose a floor tile that has a warmer color like the colors that are in the countertop or backsplash instead and this will still look great in the kitchen.
November 10, 2012 at 6:39am     
mpoulsom
I have bamboo floors in my house and they extend into the kitchen....I have LOVED it! The white tile looks good with your other things, but I wouldn't want a white floor personally. I DO think I would go to a darker color! Just my 2 cents. If your husband will clean the floor, then let him get it! lol!
November 10, 2012 at 7:20am     
minellicoyle
Decided on this 12X24 tile. It's silver/white in color and planning on using delorean gray as grout. Grid or staggered pattern? Thank you!
November 14, 2012 at 5:38pm     
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
Brick joint (staggered)
November 14, 2012 at 6:11pm   
anitajoyce
The tile pattern on the right.
November 14, 2012 at 6:54pm   
simplify52
I have two things to tell you. First, I had tile that looks just like what you want to put down. It was VERY slippery. The least little bit of water and you are on your butt. Second, in the next house we had white tile that was not slippery, but it was a bear to keep clean. I mopped it every day. Just make sure you know what you are getting into when you commit to "whitish" tile. Good luck to you!
November 14, 2012 at 7:33pm     
myfanwyb
We have o floors that are five yrs old and replaced old ceramic tile in large kitchen with 24x6 porcelain tile that looks almost like bar wood or driftwood. it looks fabulous ,,,a pleasant contrast and similar aesthetic...grain, some of the coloring. Advantage, resilient, low slippage, durable, narrow grout with same coloration for a seamless look which adds to illusion of more space. Did I mention...almost nothing shows on it!
November 14, 2012 at 8:08pm   
myfanwyb
Door I meant to say bamboo...
November 14, 2012 at 8:09pm   
mpoulsom
I like the grid personally
November 15, 2012 at 8:24am   
Trends in Tile
I would go with the staggered (brick) joint. Be sure to seal your grout, unless you are using epoxy. Nice kitchen!
November 15, 2012 at 8:58am   
Kim D
I have a white tile floor in my kitchen that I hate, I feel like the white tile with the rest of my wood floors looks very dated. Also that much stark white against the dark cabinets might be to much of a contrast.
November 15, 2012 at 9:02am   
Need help with tiles in the kitchen wood look like porcelain or 12x24 tiles
I am doing my kitchen and the cupboards are white countertop...
need help for kitchen tiles floor and for backsplash tiles.
Does these tiles color match together as brown floor...
Need help old kitchen tile backsplash. Can u paint glazed tile??
Purchasing older home. Kitchen needs renovation. Trying...
Need help on subway tile color in kitchen-
I am having Benjamin Moore Linen White cabinets. I...
Preschool Building Help
My husband and I are purchasing this commercial building...
Hiding a patch!
I just ripped out the old bushes all in front of my...
New set up for living room
Need some help on what sofa set up to get with this...
To paint wood beams or not to paint wood beams
In a dilemma! We have recently moved into our new...
Updating a transitional to MCM living room
I would love suggestions on how to update my living...