How many sconces in a great room?
dkdyche
I don't have any photos yet, but my great room is 30 by 25.
Fireplace to the ceiling on the north.Two 4x6 large windows flanking
the firplace, then two more of the same size windows on the east wall.
My question: I already know that I want to use two sconces on the east wall close to each window's side. Do I want to use two more of the same sconce flanking the tall fireplace on the wall beside those windows or is this too many sconces?
viennas
I'm not sure Im the one to help you, but I did want to share that I too, am a "sconce freak" :) so I feel your pain, I love them and have many, different sizes etc everywhere in my home. I would love to see a photo. I don't think four is too many, and mine are usually all a dark iron, so they coordinate with one another. It's your house, so you're the boss right? Do what you love!
November 10, 2012 at 5:20AM   
Shawn Lagemann
I'm all for doing what you love, as long as you don't mess up something else down the road. Will you have enough room to stack drapes off of the windows with the sconces? Do you have any room left for art? Where will you place a TV if you'll have one, will the sconces glare into it? Do you have any plans for other ??furniture pieces besie the fireplace? Can you put the sconces on a seperate switch with a dimmer? You have a very large room, I don't think that it is too many sconces if that's what you like. Just wanted to give you something to think about.
November 10, 2012 at 5:31AM   
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the light that sconces cast in a large room even though I think they look pretty. The light from sconces is decidedly better than overhead lights, but not as warm and cozy as floor and table lamps. We have sconces flanking our fireplace that I rarely turn on for that reason.
November 10, 2012 at 5:35AM   
dkdyche
Thank you so much
November 10, 2012 at 9:59AM   
Aggie Purvinska
Without pictures it's hard to say, but there are other options for wall mounted lighting except for the sconce that lends itself to pairs. If the sconces are small and dainty, four may be ok, if they are large, I would stick with them in one area, like the East Wall and use a gallery light (also wall mounted) for the fireplace, where it could successfully light a painting hung above.
November 10, 2012 at 10:13AM   
Natalie
Hi---well I love sconces so I say go for it. I do suggest not having all 4 identical, but having 2 sets of 2 in like finishes/materials/shape. Pics for inspiration...
Hope this helps. Good Luck!
[houzz=Crystal Wall Sconce][houzz=Global Views - "Fortune Teller" Sconce]
November 10, 2012 at 10:14AM   
Poll: Keep or replace old kitchen?
Hi everyone, this is the old kitchen that exists in...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Need help w/ Alterna Tile Choice for Ikea Lindingo White Cabinets
Kitchen cabinets: Ikea's Lindingo Off-White (appears...
Help with family room
After two years of indecisiveness about what to put...
Add a second floor or move?
My wife and I are starting to think about moving vs....