Need help choosing paint color
trunyon63
Help! My husband and I bought a home built in 1890 and have no idea what colors to paint the walls! My sofa is plum chenille in the LR, but the sofa in the sunroom (open and attached to LR) is tan leather with brown trim. I don't know what color would pull everything together and look warm, cozy, and somewhat authentic at the same time! Was thinking SW restrained gold?
TanCalGal
Tell me about the trim in the LR? The DR trim is white, the LR trim + staircase appears stained or dark painted. I do not like the look of the gold with stained or dark painted trim. Is the stained trim in LR original to house? Are you keeping this trim color of trim stain or paint? Personally, I'd take a light color from the area rug and use it for both rooms. It seems to blend nicely with trim + furniture. From here it appears an off-white-greige-taupe.
November 10, 2012 at 4:12PM     
trunyon63
Thank you! There are so many colors in the two rooms, so it's confusing to know what the wall colors should be. I'm not crazy about the rug in the LR, it's probably going! All of the trim is the original mahogany stained trim on the doorways, windows, and stairs. I hate that they painted the trim and pocket doors white in the dining room and I'm not interested in stripping all of it! We repainted all the trim in there and the walls are Laura Ashley Navy 6. Below is a pic of the chair that goes with the plum sofa, it has greens, navy, plum, and tans. You can also see the corner of the tan leather furniture in the sunroom. There used to be large glass and wood doors dividing the LR and SR, unfortunately they are gone :(. Because there is no division, I'm having a hard time choosing colors! I've lost my mojo lol!
November 11, 2012 at 7:28AM   
Sara Parker
Victorians often used very intense colours on walls, which might be fun on one wall. If you don't like your rug, try to find one with the colours you want to live with and work from that. Love your mahogany woodwork!
November 11, 2012 at 7:49AM     
janishill
Green is the perfect color to marry the plum, the mahogany, leather, and white. It should have warm undertones. There are several that will work, depending on the amount of natural light your rooms receive:

1) Elegant: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/viennagreen

2) Timeless(my favorite) : http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/shadesofspring

3) Beautiful: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/kiwi

Hope you will post updates!
November 11, 2012 at 8:05AM     
Recently watched reruns of the old Masterpiece Theater series about the Victorian era, "Upstairs-Downstairs." The colors were extremely intense and a mix. Purple walls, lots of greens. It is available on Netflix, and I would advise watching a few of the first episodes, just paying attention to the decor. I think it will inspire you to do something interesting and appealing colorwise.
November 11, 2012 at 8:09AM     
TanCalGal
I see tile in the fireplace. If you R keeping the tile, use that color. A little lighter or darker if you wish (add white or gray). Looks like a creamy-white from here. Buy sm. amt. paint and paint foam board before you decide. Observe how paint harmonizes with FP tile in various lights & also 2 sofas + chair + rug. A sisal area rug might be nice. Buy rug first so there is harmony with paint, tile, & all you own.

I'd experiment with visually separating ever so slightly the 2 rooms. Either with a folding screen or furniture placement. Perhaps same sisal rug in both rooms. (photo)
November 11, 2012 at 8:14AM   
trunyon63
Thank you everyone for the great advice!! I'm sooooo glad I found this website, it's amazing!!
November 14, 2012 at 8:12AM     
houssaon
Looked at Restrained Gold. Like it as a color choice.
Compliments the navy in the dining room and the gold is very soft.

If you replace the rug, you could get one with gold in it.
November 14, 2012 at 8:36AM   
Need help choosing a paint color for kitchen - please help!
I am looking repaint my kitchen and keep the cabinetry,...
Need help choosing paint colors for my kitchen! Please help me!
I love the flooring we recently put down throughout...
help!!! single guy needs help choosing paint colors!!!!
all the walls are white..fireplace too.furniture is...
Help! Need help choosing a new exterior paint color
We will be repainting our house. I do not like the...
Help Plz! Need help with choosing white colored paint 4 wall & ceiling
Hello. I would really appreciate some advice. My husband...
Can I use this in our dining room?
I just bought this mirror and was hoping to use it...
To paint or not to paint? Help please!
We are debating painting our kitchen cupboards antique...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
What direction to put beadboard?
Beadboard goes up Tuesday and we still can't decide...