Can you please tell me the finish of the cabinet pulls. Is it antique pewter maybe?
markeyp
November 10, 2012 in Photo Questions
I also have white built in bookcases with similar fireplace setup, and I don't know what color pulls or knobs to get for my cabinet doors? Thanks for your help!
LORRAINE G VALE, Allied ASID
Hello, and thank you for your question. The knobs are a French oil rub bronze, meaning a lighter, bronze finish. Some ORB finishes are almost black. But try to come close to what you have in the room.
Here is how I determine what color finish I should use on metal-take your que from existing metals in the room-door knobs, ceiling fan, etc. If it is possible, I try to keep with similar, if not the same finish in a room, preferably the entire house. Having said that, I deviate in bathrooms. I almost always use a silver finish in bathrooms-polished or satin nickel, or chrome. Powder rooms are different, if course.
Good luck-it's not hard to determine, in fact, it could already be decided!
Lorraine
November 11, 2012 at 6:02pm   
markeyp
Thanks for the advice Lorraine! I am attaching a picture of my FP wall. I am also struggling with whether to get knobs or pulls? I am leaning towards an antique pewter color.
November 11, 2012 at 6:46pm   
LORRAINE G VALE, Allied ASID
On long, cabinets I prefer long handles, it's more proportionate. 5" will do it here. Knobs tend to look like dots! Lookin' good!
Lorraine
November 12, 2012 at 11:56am   
markeyp
Thank you again Lorraine! Handles were my first instinct, but the salesman at the hardware store kept insisting that knobs would be better.
November 12, 2012 at 12:49pm   
markeyp
I was wondering if I could get your opinion on one more dilemma with my wall unit. I've decided to use Michael Angelo Black and Gold marble to surround the fireplace instead of the onyx sample in the above picture. I was thinking of adding a matching marble top over the white fireplace mantel. Do you think this would be overkill? The mantel is only around 40" high, so it will be very visible. I've attached a picture of the marble color also. Thank you for all your help!
November 12, 2012 at 1:35pm   
LORRAINE G VALE, Allied ASID
Hi Again!

That's a lot of drama on this wall! Given the size of your opening (fire box), I would not suggest it. The box itself would appear squished - small and out of scale for the wall. A beautiful painting that draws your eye in would be a great choice.
Looking at the warm colors in the marble, you might want to keep the hardware within this range of browns. Oil rub bronze, French bronze, or a light bronze that a limited hardware companies are now offering. Ceiling fan, drapery hardware, etc should follow suit.

Lorraine
November 13, 2012 at 7:57am   
markeyp
I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood me. What I meant was to add a marble shelf to cover the top of the mantle. It would be only 12" deep x 48" long. I am mounting a flat screen TV on the wall above the fireplace. The fireplace is 26"W x 25"H and then the marble surround would add another 5" around the perimeter. The space above the fireplace is 48" wide, so I'm mounting a TV that is 45"W x 28"H. So there will be a large black box (TV) above the fireplace and then the smaller black box (fireplace) below. So what I'm concerned about is if I add the dark marble shelf in the center between these two areas, will it be too much?
November 13, 2012 at 8:32am   
LORRAINE G VALE, Allied ASID
You are right, I did misunderstand you. I suggest you stay with the painted wood mantel in this traditional room setting.
Lorraine
November 13, 2012 at 9:48am   
markeyp
Thanks for your advice!
November 13, 2012 at 10:35am   
markeyp
I'm attaching pictures of the two handles that I'm trying to decide between. Which do you think would look better?
November 18, 2012 at 9:55am   
markeyp
Here's the other picture
November 18, 2012 at 10:00am   
LORRAINE G VALE, Allied ASID
Hi there-
I think it's time I knew your 1st name. Is it Markey?
I prefer the 2nd handle. What is the overall length?
Lorraine
November 19, 2012 at 10:30am   
markeyp
Hi Lorraine,
Yes, I'm sorry! My name is Markey. The 1st one is Schaub 871-ABZ Corinthian Ancient Bronze Pull, Center to Center: 96 mm, Projection: 1", Base Diameter: 1-1/2", Overall: 6-1/2". The second one is Schaub 845-BLZ Bella Forma Bella Bronze Pull, Center to Center: 96 mm, Projection: 1-1/8", Base Diameter: 3/4", Overall: 4-1/2". The second handle has a little more of the brown visible and I like the scroll design on the handle, kind of goes with wall paper design. The first one is much blacker, but I liked the leafy ends. Thanks so much for all your great design advise!
Markey
November 19, 2012 at 10:41am   
LORRAINE G VALE, Allied ASID
Markey,
Keep it simple! The Schaub handle will work.
Lorraine
November 19, 2012 at 12:07pm   
Decorating my family room
Ok Houzz family, this is my first post. I have been...
HELP with cabinet pull finish!
We are close to being done with our kitchen remodel....
Where to purchase subway tile?
I need 3x6 subway tile for kitchen backsplash, as white...
Different accent chair for newly refurnished LR
I am in search of a replacement accent chair for the...
Have you used Ikea cabinets in your kitchen?
I am smack dab in the middle of a kitchen remodel and...