fire escape ladder for basement
ceb65
Hi everyone,
I would like to find or have made a fire escape ladder for my basement. The window is high so something is needed to reach it. I would like to find or have one made that could double as a bookshelf/ornament holder. Needs to be strong...like this but with solid sides and sturdy...is there such a thing???
olldcan
If there is a Closet Organization company in your area they have ladders for custom closets. A custom millwork company would also be able to provide you with one. They have beautiful ladders for custom in home libraries. I'd do custom, so it fit in the window sill properly.
November 10, 2012 at 9:40PM   
Check with fire codes for such installations. Wouldn't want a lawsuit because you provided a non-reg way to escape!
November 11, 2012 at 3:16AM   
ceb65
thx olldcan, will do. Deco I am trying to find something a little more handy then having to pull the sofa over under the window...
November 11, 2012 at 8:21AM   
What about a library ladder, with shelves added to it? It's already on wheels so you can move it around if ever necessary. [houzz=
]
November 11, 2012 at 8:38AM     
ceb65
good idea thx!!!!
November 11, 2012 at 10:36AM     
Linda
Code in my area is top of the sill can be no more than 44" from the floor. If your window is large enough, but too high, you must install a permanent step.
November 11, 2012 at 8:03PM   
olldcan
@Linda, So all basement windows at a 6' sill level have permanent steps???really
November 11, 2012 at 8:20PM   
Linda
Most 6' sill level windows are not large enough to be escape windows.

You only need one escape window per living area and yes, it must have a permanent step if it is more than 44" high.

I'm not saying that people don't sleep in basements without accessible escape windows; I'm stating the relevant code in my area
November 11, 2012 at 8:26PM   
designsbykathy
Egress windows need to be 44" off floor, which would be located in a room you use as a bedroom. Most new homes have at least one window that is egress if you have living space in the basement. So you must ave an older home that has a living space in the basement, so a ladder/ shelf would be the best....or put in an egress window.
November 11, 2012 at 8:31PM   
ceb65
Our basement windows are very small. Apparently they are to code. They are 6' sill level. That's why I want something that can be used to give some support while getting out. We have two of them, but I hate having anyone sleep in our basement because of it.
November 11, 2012 at 8:35PM   
olldcan
@Linda, oh no I realize thats code in your area like you stated, I just found it interesting thats all, thanks for the info.
November 11, 2012 at 8:35PM   
ceb65
We moved our house in. We have a partial basement. The other half is on a pony wall. There are no bedrooms, just a family room so to speak.
November 11, 2012 at 8:42PM   
Bedroom redesign to an office
Please help give this room a face lift. So far only...
Master Bedroom redesign
I'm looking for suggestions on how to design this master...
Need help redesigning this yellow bathroom
Please help suggest how we can give this bathroom a...
delivery australia
do you deliver chandeliers to Tasmania, Australia please?...