Mantel in LR and DR (they are back to back)
tracyaine
What shows up well on brick?
Bling, as in something shiny, shows up. But you already have a wonderful boat, which I'd consider for the living side along with a seascape. I see lots of blue and white pieces, so you'd get more impact from a grouping of those on the dining side. Set them, lean them, hang them...
November 11, 2012 at 9:54am   
tracyaine
I have a huge collection of blue and white transferware but I am sorta tired of it.
November 11, 2012 at 10:03am   
tracyaine
November 11, 2012 at 10:03am   
janishill
Are you talking about decorative items?

I would go with a large mirror hanging in the portrait position on the living rooom side with the two white and one brown arm toward the right side. Put a few medium to large books on the left side with the 'R' leaning against them. Or a large hurricane at each end. You can fill them with seasonal items and candles.

On the dining room side you could put the nantucket basket on the left with two or three books horizonally under it and the model ship toward the right with the largest of your shells in the center. I would tuck the shortest brown arm in front of but slightly to the right of the books/basket.

Maybe this will help: http://interiordesignhq.com/2012/02/fire-mantel/

Please post updated pictures after you have styled them!
November 11, 2012 at 10:07am   
janishill
If you are tired of it, pack it away and try something new....or use it in different ways.

Hang one picture while leaning the other. Put the hurricanes with them.

Or better yet...send it to me! ;-D
November 11, 2012 at 10:10am   
tracyaine
Thanks so much every one, I do love the suggestions but I forgot to mention one thing, the mantel is a very shallow 4" deep.
November 11, 2012 at 11:28am   
How about 3 painted oars, hung vertically?

November 11, 2012 at 12:09pm     
tracyaine
Ok, trying out a few ideas.......
November 11, 2012 at 12:17pm   
tracyaine
Trying more transfer ware....................
November 11, 2012 at 12:46pm   
I like the one with mirror (hung) and just two flanking plates. The mirror would really pop if you painted it white and matched the FP.
November 11, 2012 at 12:59pm     
Do you have any vertical pieces of the transfer ware? Like an urn plus your big platter, plus two plates on one side and a tureen. Mix it up a bit and don't feel compelled to balance things. Leave it loose.
November 11, 2012 at 1:01pm     
tracyaine
I would love that and I have lots of things but the darn mantel is too shallow!
November 11, 2012 at 1:06pm   
Tiffany Fournier
I agree with Darzy, that mirror would look great white.
November 11, 2012 at 1:18pm     
tracyaine
I brought down a white mirror I have in my bedroom, I don't like this frame so much and I would hate to paint the other frame it is such a nice wood, but keep em coming!
November 11, 2012 at 1:32pm     
Tres McKinney Design
You have so many charming pieces. I love the bamboo chairs with the blue and white china.
The fireplace looks a little deconstructed floating between the two rooms. I would consider adding a wall between the fireplace and the side wall. It could be a wood paneled wall painted white like the mantel. Then on the dining room side you could make a strong statement with the collection of blue and white plates hung on the wall, big platters in the center with smaller plates surrounding. Then hang a large mirror over the mantel with a pair of tall candlesticks on one side and balance it with a row of small blue and white vases.

On the living room side I would sit the sail boat on the mantel. If the mantel is not deep enough then add a deeper top to the mantel and paint it white. You could hang the pair of seascape paintings to the right of the fireplace on the new divider wall. I would also consider fire screens or decorative painted fire screens if the fireplace is not a working fireplace. Large seashells could also be displayed on wall brackets mounted on a wall or in a large bowl on the coffee table or sideboard. I would also consider a off white wash on the bricks with just a hint of the color coming through.
November 11, 2012 at 2:18pm     
tracyaine
You have some terrific ideas, we are only renting but I felt the same way about adding the side wall. This house is over 100 years old but was gutted and updated on the inside. The owners did a good job but I wish they had been advised by you beforehand!
November 11, 2012 at 3:06pm   
Tres McKinney Design
Since you are renting, how about a folded screen in the space between the fireplace and side wall. It could be made out of three panel doors or three louvre doors or vintage shutters. Be sure they are tall- at least a standard door height. Just hinge them together and paint either white or with blue milk paint.

I agree that a mantle tableaux does not necessarily need to be symmetrical. I think a tall ginger jar one side and plater or platter at the other end with something layered in front of it would look great. The mirror could be tall and maybe with a simple antique gilded frame. It could be as wide as the white mirror but much taller. You might ask your landlords if they would mind if you added a deeper top to the mantels. It might be something that could easily be removed later with simple touchup.
November 11, 2012 at 4:40pm   
hockey456
I know you would hate to paint the wood frame, but if you are using the mirror as opposed to not I see it as a waste. I completely agree with Darzy
November 12, 2012 at 12:09am     
Crystal
what about hanging varous sized family photos frames can match in color only. throw in a few of the plates for a twist and you are golden on the living room side. i'd go with the blue plates on the dining room side. all the best!
November 12, 2012 at 1:08am   
Front to back LR/DR combo-- fireplace problem
Long front to back living room /dining room. Problem...
Just started from the slab up opn floor plan hall kitchen LR & DR
Cement slab needs profiling leveling and sealing what...
Need to open LR & DR to kit & use den as sewing studio.
Currently den is open to kitchen, so can't store fabric...
Help with open LR/DR/Kitchen area
Attached is a panoramic view as well as a rough sketch...
Two Level Living Space: Combine Kitchen/DR or Eat in Kitchen/LR?
We are considering an apartment with two levels of...
How do you accessorise your bed?
Some people love piling on cushions on their beds,...
Help me finish off my dining room
Something just seems off here. Maybe the rug? Artwork...
Have you used Ikea cabinets in your kitchen?
I am smack dab in the middle of a kitchen remodel and...
Should we do it??
Now hear me out - I'm not a fan of garage conversions...
Help with neighbors fence!
How do I cover my neighbors fence?i don't like the...