What type of contractor would I hire to build custom mudroom shelving?
November 11, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I would like to create a mudroom area in my basement and I am considering hiring someone to do built-ins or cabinets to fit the space. I'm just not sure what type of contractor would do this? I've been doing searches for custom cabinets and I mostly get kitchen info. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Walker Woodworking
Look for someone who does custom cabinets. For example we mostly do kitchens but we can also do all kinds of things because we are custom and build it all in our shop. You are probably getting searches that sell factory cabinets. Designers & general contractors that build custom homes will have connections to someone in your area that could do what you are looking for. Here is an example of something we did for a customer.
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 5:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
A finish carpenter can build shelving for you and will know where to find any cabinets you might need and can advise you about quality. Some small contractors may be finish carpenters or employ one. I would ask friends for recommendations for small jobs like this.
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 6:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
It might be possible to purchase pre-made storage units from Big Box Home Improvements stores depending on the space and your requirements.
1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 6:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hi Stephmoore,

Most finish carpenters/cabinet makers (who have a C6 license) or general contractors (B license) can build the custom cabinetry and shelving for you. They would typically have access all the kinds of hardware and custom doors etc that you'd need for this.

Have you tried searching on Houzz under "professionals" in your area? I also agree with Dytecture in that you may be able to create what you want with big box stores. You'll still need a good GC or carpenter to install the cabinetry though, because the big box stores always sub out to installers and pay them very low rates. (I've employed someone who worked at one which is how I know)

1 Like   November 11, 2012 at 7:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thanks for all your suggestions! The space is somewhat unique so I'll probably try to find a carpenter that can do the work for me. My guess is that it would be a lot more expensive to hire an interior designer, too. I have a good idea of what I want and a few pictures (thanks to this website) -- hopefully this will be a good starting point!
1 Like   November 12, 2012 at 5:56AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
You're welcome Stephmoore, I wish you the best with your project. It would be great to see photos when you're done!
0 Likes   November 12, 2012 at 9:22AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need Advice for ceiling colour
I'm trying to decide if I should make the ceilings...
Lila Cormier
Builder failed to install skylights on plan
We are purchasing a spec home under construction. ...
Anybody using a restaurant range at home?
I love the BTU output of Blue Star etc. but it is out...
fireplace mantle
What can I put on the mantle? with the straight line...
Shaya Sherwood
Need advice for bathroom make over
Bathroom needs complete makeover HELP!!!
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™