What type of contractor would I hire to build custom mudroom shelving?
stephmoore
I would like to create a mudroom area in my basement and I am considering hiring someone to do built-ins or cabinets to fit the space. I'm just not sure what type of contractor would do this? I've been doing searches for custom cabinets and I mostly get kitchen info. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Walker Woodworking
Look for someone who does custom cabinets. For example we mostly do kitchens but we can also do all kinds of things because we are custom and build it all in our shop. You are probably getting searches that sell factory cabinets. Designers & general contractors that build custom homes will have connections to someone in your area that could do what you are looking for. Here is an example of something we did for a customer.
November 11, 2012 at 5:42pm     
A finish carpenter can build shelving for you and will know where to find any cabinets you might need and can advise you about quality. Some small contractors may be finish carpenters or employ one. I would ask friends for recommendations for small jobs like this.
November 11, 2012 at 6:14pm     
It might be possible to purchase pre-made storage units from Big Box Home Improvements stores depending on the space and your requirements.
November 11, 2012 at 6:27pm     
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi Stephmoore,

Most finish carpenters/cabinet makers (who have a C6 license) or general contractors (B license) can build the custom cabinetry and shelving for you. They would typically have access all the kinds of hardware and custom doors etc that you'd need for this.

Have you tried searching on Houzz under "professionals" in your area? I also agree with Dytecture in that you may be able to create what you want with big box stores. You'll still need a good GC or carpenter to install the cabinetry though, because the big box stores always sub out to installers and pay them very low rates. (I've employed someone who worked at one which is how I know)

Steve
November 11, 2012 at 7:33pm     
stephmoore
Thanks for all your suggestions! The space is somewhat unique so I'll probably try to find a carpenter that can do the work for me. My guess is that it would be a lot more expensive to hire an interior designer, too. I have a good idea of what I want and a few pictures (thanks to this website) -- hopefully this will be a good starting point!
November 12, 2012 at 5:56am     
BeautifulRemodel.com
You're welcome Stephmoore, I wish you the best with your project. It would be great to see photos when you're done!
November 12, 2012 at 9:22am   
How to submit pictures
We have just finished a remodel & would love to share!...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Looking for a unique masculine mirror for a mens bathroom.
I don't have photo's but we are decorating a new build....
Your biggest layout pet peeve?
We've all got them. What's your biggest pet peeve...