Cabinet colors

chknnoodleNovember 11, 2012
I love this kitchen! I wanted my new kitchen to be exactly the same. However, my husband and I had a disagreement over cabinets. He would like all the wall cabinets to be a dark espresso color and the island to be white. We have three young children and he is afraid the white cabinets will show wear much quicker than the darker color. We would do the subway tiles in all white on all walls. Have you ever designed a kitchen like this but with the cabinet colors reversed? If so, does it look just as good? I am really hoping you say yes!!
Needham Kitchen · More Info
Venegas and Company
Thank you for your inquiry! My first thought when you asked this particular question - why would the perimeter cabinets and island cabinets wear differently? Are the cabinets stained or painted? This also goes back to who is making your cabinets and what are the finish selections...just something to think about.

To further answer your question, I unfortunately could not think of a project that is similar to this style with the finishes inverted as you requested. We have designed a butler's pantry, (please reference the "Taylored Traditional" album) that shows dark cabinets, white counter and white backsplash. I know it's not exactly the same, but the finish palette is similar to the look to you are trying to achieve.

Good luck with your project!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 8:33AM
marymarsh000
as a designer and a mother I believe the island gets more exposure to the children and more wear and tear than the perimeter cabinets, so I believe you are better off to have the island be dark and the perimeter cabinets be white.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 13, 2014 at 12:57PM
UP IN THE AIR FRONT DOOR!
"UP IN THE AIR" Please help with our second...
teresatrax
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Low Shower Curb Design - Aging in place
I am planning a shower remodel for a second floor master...
homecrew
European Oak Flooring
Has anyone had any issues with European Oak flooring...
cohrs101
I need help with my exterior landscaping.
I have removed foundation plantings had overgrown and...
Anne Eskridge