Backsplash Help
hansenmj
Would appreciate any ideas on what kind of backsplash to use here. The countertops are being changed to a very light color this week. Thanks for any ideas..
heididevitt
I would continue the brick from the side wall to right of photo if you can find the matching material - masons would be able to match it.
November 12, 2012 at 11:19AM   
Bryan Riffe, AKBD
There are so many backsplash options available today that the choice is limited only to your imagination and your budget. My professional recommendation would be to check out http://backsplashideas.com/
they have peel and stick options that are made of metal and have several design options . i think for this room I would use their Aspect 3"x6" Brushed Champagne Long Grain Metal Backsplash Tile
November 12, 2012 at 11:20AM     
Trends in Tile
What a fun project! What colors are in your new counters? What material? Your counter pays a huge part of the kitchen design, so you need to coordinate the 2.
November 12, 2012 at 11:54AM   
Pangione Developers Inc
Hello, I see you are ready to make a move in the kitchen and install a backsplash. Looks like a dark walnut to me. We just finished a home that has a similar colored cabinet style. I dont have pictures of that kitchen but here is another resale we did recently and you can see where we changed the pattern behind the stove to 4x4 slate style with verticle pencil trim border on the left and right side of the stove....simple but great seller and the remainder we used brick style. If you want other backsplash ideas, you can go here:
http://www.squidoo.com/best-diy-kitchen-backsplash-ideas-reviews

Contact me for anything else...

DP
November 12, 2012 at 12:32PM   
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi there! If your countertops are a solid light color and since the cabinets appear to be black, you could go with a fun, bright backsplash to add a modern pop of color, like the one below that also ties in the stainless steel from your hardware and the black from the cabinets. For a sleeker look, you could go with all over stainless steel, which comes in a variety of shapes and sizes. If your counter tops are a natural stone with a lot of color variations, then you would want a back splash that matches those subtleties. We have expert designers that specialize in matching back splashes to granite and stone counter tops, you can contact them here: http://www.susanjablon.com/surface-partners.html
November 12, 2012 at 12:57PM   
MAS Design
If the cabinets are dark and the countertops light, I would go with a medium tan or "greige" hue for the backsplash to merge the two gracefully and to compliment the brick. I would make it darker than the floor but lighter than the cabinet so as not to compete with the floor. Since you have texture in the brick (and also in your countertop?), you could keep it simple and do something with the faintest of texture, so it doesn't seem too cold, but not a ton of texture which will compete with the brick. I like the idea above to add some color - another idea is to add some color in towels and other accessories. This way you keep your potential for resale high (some people might want to change out your color choices, and this way they can). I like the idea of a bigger-scale tile - maybe horizontally oriented 3''x8'', with a thin grout line. A clean, modern idea is to run the tile all the way to the ceiling for simplicity (and yet drama). Good luck!!
November 12, 2012 at 1:06PM     
hansenmj
Wow thanks so much for the suggestions! The brick is a thin brick that we installed as a column over the furnace/chimney. We love it. Trying to keep the space from being too cold but also wanting to stay true to the modern feel, Alot to think about, Am definatley wondering if going all the way to the ceiling would look good. The countertops will be a cream with some beige small flecks. Was wondering if a subway tile in a clear or milky glass would be too cold?..
November 12, 2012 at 4:04PM   
MAS Design
The resolution in this first image is horrible (it was a test shot with no light) but you can see the tile to the ceiling...we love it! I'll attach another image also. You can see better images on our website www.moodandspace.com but none to the ceiling but this one. I think clear glass feels a little more cold, but I love an etched white glass...bigger scale will feel more modern, also. Sounds great! :)
November 12, 2012 at 4:26PM   
Susan Jablon Mosaics
With cream counters and the dark cabinets, a curved milk glass subway tile like the one below could look fantastic. Also below is a picture of a clear subway tile with an iridescent finish. The shape and size of the tiles are modern, but not too cold. The picture of the kitchen shows the milk glass tile, and also gives an example of tile extended all the way to the ceiling.

November 13, 2012 at 6:35AM   
jeanette mac
I think stainless steel would make your kitchen fabulous. Check out these pics from Houzz.
November 13, 2012 at 7:17AM   
Trends in Tile
Here are a few ideas from Hirsch Glass. Lots of color options!
November 13, 2012 at 8:01AM   
GARY FINLEY, ASID
why not continue the counter top material up the splash?
November 13, 2012 at 8:03AM   
Trends in Tile
A few more....
November 13, 2012 at 8:04AM   
Trends in Tile
And more.....
November 13, 2012 at 8:04AM   
GARY FINLEY, ASID
i often use a 5" splash of the same material as the counter, if you use something decorative and higher you will be bringing aattention to all the varing heights created by the lower edges of the upper cabinets
November 13, 2012 at 8:05AM   
GARY FINLEY, ASID
November 13, 2012 at 8:05AM   
GARY FINLEY, ASID
November 13, 2012 at 8:05AM   
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Love my table but....
LOVE my table but I am redoing our floors in a house...
Can I use this in our dining room?
I just bought this mirror and was hoping to use it...
Need help with front door/shutters on 50 year old house
Looking to replace front doors on our "new" 50 year...
Where's chookchook?
Our beloved chookie hasn't been heard from in days....