Kitchen Painting Project
Olivia Hazel
We need Houzz opinions. We recently bought a home with a rather modern kitchen. We love traditional design and colors and, while we'd love to eventually redo the granite color, tile color, and backsplash, we would like to first redo the florescent green paint, but WE DON'T KNOW WHAT COLOR TO PAINT! Please help! It's hard to see, but the floor tile is a slate blue. Thanks!!
Iyare I
I'd do a soft gray
November 12, 2012 at 1:42PM   
Inspired Interiors by Wendi, IIDA
Congratulations on purchasing your new home! I recommend a greige, which is a combination of gray and beige, as it will complement (and unite) the beige backsplash, black countertop and blue floor. Try SW 7050 - Useful Gray. It also lends itself to the traditional look you are going for. You may want to consider adding a traditional rug with the three colors in it as well.
November 12, 2012 at 2:08PM   
dcer
I agree with Wendi. A warm grey with a hint of beige would look great and tie everything together. Plus, it is a neutral backdrop for any future cosmetic changes. Congrats on the new home!
November 12, 2012 at 2:21PM   
Mona Ives
I'd do a bluish grey - not outright grey - too cold with the tile. I think grey is very contemporary and I have found clients that like traditional design don't like that white and grey look. If you like traditional styling, it's going to feel even more contemporary with your cabinetry. Pick up a shade of blue that is tempered with grey like Ben Moore brittany blue or if you want something with more greenish undertones pale smoke or quiet moments.
November 13, 2012 at 7:50AM   
jeanette mac
I would do/did Benjamin Moore Cloud White. My kitchen is much like yours and everyday I appreciate the choice. It is so bright and clean. The granite will look awesome with that tone as well! Here is a pic of my kitchen.
November 13, 2012 at 7:59AM     
Nancy Hehmann
You can upload your picture to Valspar.com and change the colors in it. Valspar is sold at Lowes. I like their med. brown that is called Pretzel something. It enhances the white cabinets but is still not too dark and if I am seeing correctly will go with your backsplash. Have fun!
November 13, 2012 at 8:16AM   
Kitchen Art of New England LLC
Man that yellow is nuts! Does it run on batteries?

I tried my best to de-saturate the yellow from the picture you have. There are still a lot of yellows coming from the counter-top reflection of the lights.

But at least you can get some sort of idea as to what it might look like if the yellow was not there. I often find its a bit easier to figure things out when you don't have something super bright blinding you! =)
November 13, 2012 at 9:54AM   
Valerie Garrett Interior Design
Isn’t it amazing how difficult one design decision like selecting the right paint can be? That is because every detail matters and every detail relates to all the other details. The wall paint should be based on what will compliment what you have.
I would select a warm neutral that will compliment both your slate floor and your tile backsplash. That way it will look good right now but also allows you to change out your tile backsplash and countertops later on. It also will flow nicely into your dining room and not compete with the slate gray color of your dining room walls.
Benjamin Moore has several wonderful neutrals. I would go by the paint store and get some color samples and see which one looks best with both the slate and the tumbled marble. Two important things to watch out for is making sure the shade you pick isn’t too dark but is rich enough to contrast with your white cabinets. You also have to make sure the neutral doesn’t clash with the backsplash. You can also take a picture with your smart phone and take it into the paint store and ask them to help you.
I love working with any paint store that carries Benjamin Moore paints. They always tend to be the most knowledgeable. Your backsplash looks like a 4 x 4 Noce tumbled marble. Take a look at 1038 Everlasting, 1060 Blanched Almond, 1074 Alpaca and 1095 Oakwood manor. If these shades are to dark Benjamin Moore paint stores are also good at custom mixing and can lighten it for you. They do it all the time for designers.
Best of luck to you as you endeavor to give your own personal “face lift” to your kitchen!
November 13, 2012 at 11:07AM   
Stoneshop
I agree with some of the earlier posts & think that a gray/beige would look the best in your space. It will tie in the warm tones from your backsplash & the cooler tones from your floor nicely. Congratulations on your new home!
November 13, 2012 at 11:56AM   
Olivia Hazel
Wow everyone thank you so much!! I've seen from several posts that my backsplash looks like marble or beige, but it's metallic gray...I'm attaching another picture that plays down the paint (makes it look less florescent) and brings out the more realistic look of the backspash...see attached. Thank you so much everyone! I love how you got to change the color in that picture, Kitchen of New England!

See attached!
November 13, 2012 at 12:33PM   
Chalk Paint Project: Kitchen Cabinet Spruce Up
Just thought I'd share some pictures of my DIY kitchen...
Our latest kitchen cabinet painting project
In Hobe Sound, Call Jaworski Painting for Professional...
Our Kitchen before and after project 2013
We moved into this house earlier this year and the...
Kitchen remodel project
Hi Fellow Houzzers, I am fairly new to this platform,...
Need help for Master Bedroom
Hello! I just moved to a brand new home and trying...
Help I need to revamp my beach shack
Lounge/kitchen &dining are all one small room. It's...
Exterior Paint suggestions of Colonial Home in TN
I am wondering if anyone could help me choose paint...
Something Missing
Looking for ideas! I feel as though something is missing...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...