color scheme and ideas to "fix" a pink tile bathroom without remodeling
lrthomas285
floor is small pink tiles. wall is regular candy pink tiles 1/2 way up the wall. 10 foot ceiling and aprox. 6 feet long from the door to the bathtub and only as wide as the tub. sink and toilet are opposite each other.
HI -- For one thing -DO NOT ADD ANYMORE PINK -- add lots and lots of white or a light tan on the walls and then white shower curtain ,towels , mat .etc.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 3:10PM
builper.com
You can add a mosaic mural over the pink tiles and enclose it with stone moldings both to be in a color to contrast the pink.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 3:13PM
missymo
I agree. A soft cream and maybe some brown accents.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 3:17PM
Linda
Chrome, black and white look good with the pink tiles
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 8:35PM
tessvw
Pink, beige, and black is a classic combination.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 9:13PM
Manon Floreat
I agree with Linda - black, chrome and white would be a great combination in a classic Deco-esque sort of way. Here's one that makes the pink look rather sophisticated.
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 9:14PM
Natalie
Paint the upper half of the wall medium gray... SW SW 6009 Imagine... White towels and accessories... A faux taxidermy head would look cool over the toilet---guests certainly would not linger, LOL!!! Have fun with the pink-and just think it could be worse like burgundy-Yuck! :) http://www.etsy.com/listing/103382325/faux-taxidermy-wall-mount-animal-head?ref=sr_gallery_23&ga_search_query=taxidermy+head&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=1&ga_search_type=all
    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 9:47PM
victorianbungalowranch
Pink bathrooms were all the rage in the 50s and 60s and it was a color considered flattering for the complexion. They date back to the 30's, when colored porcelian became available. I think grey, black, white and antique white or buff look nice with pink. I have one too decorated with B&W whimsical cartoons of Paris and my mother's drawings of dresses and a mini dressmaker's dummy.

Get a bigger than normal bath mat (white and soft is good) to cover the floor and nice big fluffy bath towels to cover part of the tile, maybe with some black piping to give a more tailored look. Add a white shower curtain and perhaps a silvery gray wall color and chrome accessories, and it can look great! Maybe go mod with some bright accent color, like turquoise, chartreuse, seafoam green, maroon, purple --lots of different colors go with pink in small doses.

Or you could go Boho with dark brown walls and framed sari material or ethnic art or folk art with a bit of pink in it. Or some retro ads http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/

I say embrace what you have--it is a piece of history and so much more fun than boring beige! http://savethepinkbathrooms.com/ (a sister site of retro renovation)

BTW, pink wasn't a "girl" color until after WW II. And those mosaic tiles are probably a "mud" job--embedded in a thick layer of concrete and can last a lifetime or longer.
5 Likes    Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 10:40PM
lrthomas285
Thank you everyone for the ideas. They are all really good and I will definatley try them out. After all it is only paint and accessories. I had thought of the black and chrome but couldn't visualize it. Thanks for the pictures.
    Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 9:18AM
mariaanne
I have a similar bathroom. I painted the walls a medium-to-dark gray, added crisp white towels, a large black-and-white photo in a black frame, chrome accents on the mirror and glass shelf, and just embraced the retro vibe. The bathroom always gets compliments.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 9:23AM
mariaanne
BTW, the dark grey added a bit of masculinity to the pink -- like a grey cashmere jacket with a pink tie.
    Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 9:24AM
victorianbungalowranch
How about a fabulous graphic shower curtain? Target and Bed Bath and Beyond appear to have a good selection. Liked a funky apothecary design from from Urban Outfitters too, but couldn't copy image. An oversized photo shower curtain of the Eifel Tower or NYC skyscapers, which I believe you can get from IKEA, might work too.

(top: Target, bottom: Bed Bath and Beyond)

I was looking at my pink bathroom, and I think painting the walls charcoal grey or chocolate brown would definately add drama!.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 9:58AM
lepstein
I added grey (walls, floor and toilet) and large off-white tiles (with a bit of grey marbling) around the tub into a bathroom with a pink sink, tub and long counter. Big mirror above the sink counter. Love it!
    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 9:45AM
Nadia Janu
Totally agree with your suggestion.. Very nice post and good information here..Thanks for posting that.... http://styleindeed.com/fashion-trends/top-20-henna-designs-2013-537.html
    Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 5:39AM
Sue Kirk
I have pink mottled tiles with a muddy mauve tile in geo patterns (OMG it is ugly) With the two colors - I am thinking only green will work - because the muddy mauve is not happy with grey - and I really dislike Beige - any other ideas?
    Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 8:01AM
mariaanne
I have the same bathroom! I painted the walls dark gray and added crisp white shower curtain and towels and chrome accessories. (Temporary fix while it awaits a gut-reno.) My house is all boys so I was trying to transform what was a pink-and-flowery grandma-style bathroom into something more masculine -- by going for a "gray cashmere jacket with pink tie" vibe.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 10:08AM
Sue Kirk
The grey and muddy mauve don't work well together - but I can get a small paint sample and try it - difficult to find a green that goes with both - as the two pink and mauve don't really go very well together either (someone had NO color sense).
    Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 10:21AM
Outdated kitchen needs a quick fix!
We are selling our home in the next few months. We...
Kyla
I would like some help with design ideas to remodel our main level bathroom.
We currently have a yellowish green wall tile that...
delsorenson
Bathroom Remodel- FINALLY
I know it is awful and we will be doing a complete...
mkmort
Need help deciding on colour scheme for bathroom.
I have a small-ish bathroom that I'm going to have...
becks66ca
is pink in?
We are planning to completely remodel this master bathroom....
zohrehalaghemand
Need help how to place furniture in my living room, horrible layout
Looking for some ideas how to arrange furniture in...
halliday27
plain fireplace
Need advice on how to brighten this corner fireplace...
Angelo Frazier
Painting oak built-ins?
Just purchased a 50's bungalow. We will be repainting...
jefrank83
Help with wall art and rugs
Need advice on rug color and wall art and tables to...
Shannon Taylor
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats