Need help with a layout for my rectangle basement!
lilreheadjen
I really need some help on how to develop my half finished basement. I haven't been able to figure out what to do and now we need more space as our little boy grows and the toys become more and more plentiful!

Basically the previous owner built rooms on one side of the basement leaving me with a long rectangular room. Its approximately 48' x 13'6". I do have the areas broken down in the measurements. The developed side has a bedroom, bathroom, utility room, storage room and a misc room that we turned into a massage room (but since I'm not massaging it will probably become either toy storage or storage for my scrapbook/stamping hobby).

As for the undeveloped side, We only have one tiny window on the west side. What we are wanting is to have a family living space with big sectional and tv and of course room for a play area and storage for tons of toys for our lil man. My hubby would love a bar, but I just can't figure out how to make that work. We could use some storage space for our extra food and such (Costco members! Lol!!) I was wondering about doing that under the stairs maybe? There is a storage room right there as well, so I wondered about maybe reconfiguring that area somehow.

I like the idea of an open concept, but its hard I work with a rectangle!! Can you help?

Measurement areas:
Tv area 13' x 13'6"
28' x 13'6" middle area (houses the electrical panel that seems like a problem to cover up)

Oh and PLEASE excuse the mess. The basement has basically become a giant catch all storage area!
nevadan
Clean out the basement and then photograph it and we can make some suggestions.
November 12, 2012 at 8:40pm   
Custom Home Planning Center
Code enforcement wouldn't let you get away with that elec box and exposed wires. It suggest the 1st thing you need to do is have an inspector check the situation out and make some suggestions which will most likely be enclosing and protection of the exposed wires. It makes me question the quality of the elec work in the rest of the space. So hire an electrician other than the one who did this job to complete the inspectors requirements. If the inspector doesn't see anything wrong, higher one from a more urban area.

On the plan do a top view of the space with walls and measurements as you said it is hard for us to visualize the space with all the clutter as well.
November 12, 2012 at 8:49pm   
olldcan
K well, The electrical is scary and I agree with CHPC. Did you have this home inspected prior to purchasing it. I'd pick up information from your city/ town/county on finishing basements. If this electrical was apparently okay with the previous owner, I would NOT trust any construction in the basement. Honestly, I think i'd rip out the entire basement and start fresh with qualified tradesmen and design the floor plan I wanted. Really there's nothing there to salvage.
November 12, 2012 at 9:03pm     
lilreheadjen
Thanks for all your concern about the electrical. It is up to code just not not and tidy, which believe me drives me nuts! As for the clutter, I'm not a person who has it but most of it is garage sale stuff and I don't have anywhere to put it until summer comes. I was hoping to get some ideas on how to develop a rectanglular basement and not get judged on the mess.
November 13, 2012 at 6:28am     
Custom Home Planning Center
We will have to agree to disagree on being up to code. It wouldn't pass just because of the exposed wires and lack of code required fasteners.
November 13, 2012 at 10:57am   
nevadan
Almost any basement that has a cement floor that is in good condition can be made into a usable room if it is tall enough. But it can be costly in some houses!
November 13, 2012 at 11:25am   
Finished Basements Plus
If it's possible, I would consider moving the TV area closer to the stiars and have the play area (and resulting mess) twards the back. I would build a wall with a big 10'-12' wide archway to visually separate the spaces. You could also separate the spaces visually by doing something with the ceiling, drywall or drop, lowering or raising sections or adding soffits to define rooms without closing things off. You could close off the whole back wall and under the stairs for storage.
A custom built cabinet could cover the electrical panel, without taking up much space and give you easy access.
November 13, 2012 at 12:55pm     
olldcan
Is there any walls that you would consider removing.
November 13, 2012 at 3:24pm   
Need Help with my basement layout
Just starting redoing our basement (I really wish I...
Need help with my basement layout
We have a very long and narrow living space in the...
Need help with decorating a rectangle shaped basement
Help, looking for ideas on how to decorate our basement....
Need help with basement ideas and layout
I'm struggling with my furniture layout. How to make...
Backyard deck
What material would you recommend for a deck? Pros...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Should I sand?
Hi, I would like to use chalk paint or something else...
Laundry Renovation - What would you do?
Our next most likely project is the laundry renovation....