Painted kitchen cabinets? How can I easily modernize this kitchen?
dwhitehead65
I hate my kitchen cabinets and I want to give them a modern look. Can painting them help?
apple_pie_order
Is this photo of your kitchen? It is beautiful. The glazed finish has been popular for the last five years or so; this particular finish is expensive. It is not out of fashion.

Perhaps you could be more specific about what you dislike: color, style, hardware, configuration, drawer function. Hardware is easy to change, especially when you have only pulls and knobs to replace (concealed hinges don't usually offend anyone).

If you attach some images of kitchens you like, it would be easier for other posters to make suggestions.
November 13, 2012 at 6:01AM     
Many people would envy your kitchen. New contemporary cabinet pulls would look good if you want to change something.
November 13, 2012 at 6:17AM     
dwhitehead65
Perhaps hate is too strong of a word. I really want to change the color of them to match the modern style I have going on with the rest of the loft. All of the modern kitchens I've seen on Houzz are black or white. Should I paint or stain or is that cheesy?
November 13, 2012 at 6:26AM   
mvoetberg
I'd change the hardware and add a backslash that goes all the way up the wall. You could pick up the colors that are in your lighting fixtures. I just finished painting my kitchen cabinets with Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint--I love it, but that direction is much more casual than contemporary. Rustoleum sells a Cabinet Transformations product that has great color stains if you really hate it!
November 13, 2012 at 6:35AM     
dwhitehead65
Would I need to add the backsplash over the cabinets as well?
November 13, 2012 at 6:41AM   
Since you like the black you have seen in many houzz kitchens, you could select a splash tile with black in it. Elongated glass mosaics have a strong contemporary vibe.
November 13, 2012 at 6:42AM   
dwhitehead65
Also any ideas on barstool for the space? That's what's really holding me back.
November 13, 2012 at 6:42AM   
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Resurfacing a kitchen is easier said than done - usually this is a last resort for a quick fix (as opposed to replacing a worn out kitchen!)! You would be farther ahead by taking the advice in replacing hardware and concentrating on a tile backsplash! If you want to pursue refinishing, purchase a sample door front from a supplier for trial and error first!
November 13, 2012 at 6:45AM     
Aggie Purvinska
You could most certainly stain them dark espresso and add stainless pulls, they look great now, they will look great then. The bar stools you have will be fine with espresso, and you can reupholster them in a dark espresso chenille if you are going to keep the current cabinet color.
November 13, 2012 at 6:45AM   
Here are some goodlooking modern barstools. Almost all barstools now come in counter height which is what you will need. They will look better if they do not have arms or high backs. Some are far more comfortable than others so be sure to sit in one before buying.

Bienal Counter Stool Hydraulic Lift Bar & Counter Stools - Discontinued
November 13, 2012 at 6:51AM   
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi! I agree with mvoetberg that simple changes like the hardware with the addition of a backsplash would do wonders for this kitchen. A stainless steel backsplash would add a very modern touch, and comes in a lot of different shapes and designs. If you like the look of black tile, you could use a mosaic that combines the two like the one pictured below. With that in mind, black or steel barstools would be a good option to tie it all together.
November 13, 2012 at 6:55AM     
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
There are experienced refinishers (not refacing) that can come in and do a really nice job of taking the cabinets to a dark finish or to a light - such as taupe. I have seen some homeowners post pictures of their work using the Rustoleum product. The results would not meet the quality standards of any of our clients, so I would be careful trying this as DIY if you plan to live with it for awhile.
November 13, 2012 at 6:57AM     
missymo

Removing the insets on some or all of the upper cabinets and replacing with a frosted glass or other pattern would be nice. Paint the cabinets and add new hardware--least expensive fix.
November 13, 2012 at 6:59AM     
Natalie
Hi I would keep what you have-(save yourself time and money), change hardware, and tile the entire wall with an interesing tile---it will definitely give you the modern look you're after. Change stools to dark leather/wood and chrome and add a metallic cowhide rug---Pic with stool and rug combo... Modern pendants... Hope this is helpful... Good Luck!
[houzz=3D Silver And Pewter Aluminum Square Mosaic Tile][houzz=Carved Stone][houzz=Zuo - Equino Bar Stool in Black][houzz=Cowhide Rugs][houzz=Sonneman Zylinder 6-Light Modern Pendant Chandelier]
November 13, 2012 at 7:24AM     
dwhitehead65
Love the black and steel backsplash idea!! And also knocking out the cabinet inserts and putting frosted glass sounds like the best way to change cabinets without buying new ones. Thank you everyone!
November 13, 2012 at 7:29AM   
kilderrym
I will trade you my cabinets for your's!! lol I can't stand my cabinets.. very old.. from 80's and very beat. I am going to take more pics because my next dilemma is painting the cabinets. i don't have $$ for new ones..so in the mean time.. some white paint to brighten up (I think)
June 4, 2014 at 9:30AM   
Woodcrafters Intl Inc
the door style is the element that makes this seem more old fashioned. Painting can help that. Sage is big, blue gray works, change the knobs and pulls to something in a brushed stainless. Adding metallic or glass tile Back Splash if you choose. You can start with the hardware and then paint, then splash. Each step by itself may be enough to get you where you want to be.
June 19, 2014 at 12:33PM     
Woodcrafters Intl Inc
Someone mentioned removing the panels in the middle and inserting glass. This can be harder than it sounds since many manufactures use a metal wedge to hold mitered doors together. Glass would help, certainly but it may be easier to purchase new doors already cut for glass. That is especially true if you are going to paint these anyway.
June 19, 2014 at 4:14PM     
SoCal Contractor
Simply changing the cabinet doors to a flat door and adding modern, sleek cabinet pulls will dramatically change the look and make it more modern.
June 19, 2014 at 4:19PM     
Cabinets To Go
Hey there, if you're looking to update your kitchen cabinets, our quality cabinets are built for design and functionality, take a look at our website: http://bit.ly/1gv9Zbx. We offer a wide variety of cabinet styles at affordable prices. For your kitchen, our Findley & Myers Soho Maple, or B. Jorgsen & Co. Westminister Glazed Toffee would be perfect and accent the room very well. Feel free to call or email us with questions: http://bit.ly/1sKbFR0
June 24, 2014 at 2:00PM   
Which Cabinets do you prefer?
If you could have any cabinets in your home what would...
Modern bathroom tile in small bathroom
I have a small bathroom n thinking of doing a remodel....
Choosing paint color for year-round sunroom
Seeking suggestions for paint colors for a sunroom,...
Thoughts on new living room layout
I rearranged our furniture - I can't tell if it's too...
Need help with master bedroom
I really like my blue walls. I would like to change...