Master Bathroom needs direction!
thelakehouse
Please help! My husband and I are in disagreement over the placement of the sconces and cabinets in this bathroom, and what type of mirror would work best! I feel the cabinets need to be centered on that wall and that the sconces need to drop down and move to the outside a bit... I'd like the use one large beveled edge frameless mirror behind those sconces... He doesn't like the idea of there being a small 3-4" gap on the right side of the cabinet if we center it, as things may fall back there. He is 6'5" tall and lowering the sconces would put them in his face ( which is why I think they should move to the outside some) He'd like to see 2 individual framed mirrors over each sink. I would love some opinions as we need to complete this project!
P.S. I was thinking I'd put the same frameless beveled edge mirror over the vanity area as well.... the sconces turned out to be larger than I thought, however, changing them is not an option! And those mirrors there now, are just some old mirrors I had that would "do the job" until we got new mirrors. I am also currently looking for a tall, dark wood, glass front cabinet to replace the metal stand to the left side of the door...
thelakehouse
here are some pics at different angles if that helps!
November 14, 2012 at 2:35PM   
Looks as though you have a dressing table, so why not let hubby determine how the sink area works? I do think as you "age in place" you'll appreciate separate mirrors - one of them a magnifier! lol My opinion of sconces is that they are decorative accents, not useful, as they provide lots of glare and little task light. You'll both regret not having enough light to see even if you're not already losing your vision. Could they flank the French door?
November 14, 2012 at 2:37PM   
mmilos
I think you just need a taller mirror that goes up to the height of top of the sconces...about the width you have is fine.

That would be the cheapest thing to do with what you have now.

You could also have a full mirror the width of your vanity up to the ceiling with holes cut in the mirror to accept your sconces. This might help the uncenteredness issue.
November 14, 2012 at 2:40PM     
thelakehouse
hhhmmmm... hadnt thought of them flanking the door, I will look at that! I'm okay with him deciding height and keeping to my vanity,He's happy with the height they are- do they look right? I don't want it to look like a "mistake"! We do have a can light centered above the cabinet now... The sconces are over the top, so I keep leaning towards "simple". What are your thoughts on what type of mirrors we should use?
November 14, 2012 at 2:44PM   
thelakehouse
Thank you decoenthusiaste and mmilos! So do you both think the cabinet is okay not centered?
November 14, 2012 at 2:48PM   
It would be wonderful if you centered the vanity, but it would require moving plumbing and might not be worth the effort. So if you don't want to move it, then I would place a beautiful mirrored waste basket to the left of the double vanity just so that the space looks like it's there for a reason. I might place a small towel bar above the waste basket as it looks like there is none nearby. Instead of a towel ring, I like to use the new type of toilet paper holder to hold a hand towel. It's a much neater look I think than a towel ring.

The sconces look about a 12 to 18" too high to me. I'd lower them and hang two slim vertical mirrors between the sconces, either framed or unframed. I love the pivot mirrors, but not sure they come in a tall skinny size.

November 14, 2012 at 2:50PM     
mmilos
The off-centered vanity doesn't bother me too much and I agree about the small gap between the wall. This is where custom cabinets would help. :-)

Personally, the sconces are not my style and they do look too high, too large and off-center with the vanity. Since the vanity is off-center, perhaps one wall vanity light over one large mirror might be a better option.
November 14, 2012 at 2:57PM   
Natalie
Hi---there are a number of ways you can address this, but since your hubby is tall and you do have your vanity area---I say compromise and let him have his way with the sink side. Two round or square frameless or ornate mirrors-sconces hung above. Your vanity area: mirror the wall and hang a mirror (or ornate frame) on wall---sconces at either side-perhaps a pendant too. Pics for inspiration. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=Coastal Retreat Master Bath][houzz=Artcraft Granite, Marble & Tile Co.][houzz=Downtown penthouse][houzz=Freestone Residence]
November 14, 2012 at 2:59PM     
thelakehouse
Thank you Carolyn, I really like the tissue holder and there was an ugly waste basket by the cabinet, but I moved it for the picture! Will definately get a mirrored one like you suggested! The cabinet was centered on the wall at first, then it was moved, so the plumbing would stay where it is - we'd just need a new "skin board" for the back of the cabinet on the inside, to hide it all. How tall do you suggest the mirrors be if the sconces were lowered?
November 14, 2012 at 3:04PM     
thelakehouse
Thank you mmilos, I could probably do one sconce, but don't think I'd want it up above the mirror... would it look ok to place it lower and in the center of one large mirror?
Natalie, thank you for the pics! I really lov eround mirrors and will measure the width of the vanity to see if 2 round would work... I suspect that there's not enough room though :(
November 14, 2012 at 3:11PM   
mmilos
Your husband is tall. It would be more functional to have one vanity light above one mirror. Something large and victorian in style to coordinate with your current sconces. It can then be centered above your vanity.
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/jessica-mcclintock-salon-grand-bathroom-light-fixture__76676.html

One sconce centered in a mirror may not provide enough light and get in his way.

Two mirrors will only emphasize the off-centeredness on the wall.
November 14, 2012 at 3:32PM   
thelakehouse
Thank you! Cant change the light fixture as it wint match the others in the room...Wonder if I could just eliminate sconces there and add a 2nd can light above?
November 14, 2012 at 3:37PM   
Aren't the other sconces around the corner? It wouldn't bother me to have somewhat different sconces in the sink area if they cannot be seen from the makeup vanity area.
November 14, 2012 at 3:41PM   
thelakehouse
Kind of around the corner...but then there's the chandelier over the tub
November 14, 2012 at 3:44PM   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I believe you indicated that there are some recessed lights in the room in addition to the sconces?? I would have a large mirror on the wall with wood strips to accent various areas and move one sconce to center between the two sinks and lower on the wall than where they currently are.

This kind of mirror treatment (the wood would need to match your cabinetry) with the sconce on the centered area between the sinks rather than on the sides.
]
November 14, 2012 at 4:38PM     
Stamps Design Services
If you are on a budget, I would suggest two mirror over the sinks and place one sconce in the middle over the double vanity. I would also replace the large painting with a wall relief (plaque), as it will not get damaged by steam.
November 14, 2012 at 4:50PM   
Stamps Design Services
November 14, 2012 at 4:50PM   
If you lower the sconces, the mirrors need to be high enough that you husband can see himself. Probably at about the ht. of the top of the sconces, as they are now.
November 14, 2012 at 5:16PM   
One sconce in center would not only look inadequate but would be inadequate!
November 14, 2012 at 6:02PM   
thelakehouse
Thank you so much Deborah, I really like the wood strips effect... we don't have those nice cabinets flanking each side, so I wonder how the outside trim will look so close to the white door frame?
(cabinets are cream w/ brown glaze) We do btw, have tile to add above the sink vanity to mimic what we did around the tub.(see pics) I measured the width of the sink vanity and it's 70 inches across with 25 inches between the two sinks. The sconces are 12 1/2 inches wide from their widest points.

And thank you Karla, I hadn't thought about the steam damaging the painting! It's a pretty large space and I haven't really noticed steam in the room... that would look good in my dining room too :)

Any other suggestions for the room are certainly welcome! I made a mistake with the vanities and haven't liked them from day one- wanted dark wood "furniture pieces", but couldn't find the right size and wanted make up vanity to match!
November 14, 2012 at 6:06PM   
thelakehouse
more pics
November 14, 2012 at 6:11PM   
Christopher James Interiors
I would do a larger framed mirror that goes all the way to the ceiling. Have the sconces come out of the mirror which would require holes to be cut in the mirror. Lower the sconces as well...they look too high.
November 14, 2012 at 6:22PM     
thelakehouse
Thanks Christopher! That's pretty close to what I wanted ... except for the mirror to be frameless.... what about centering the sink vanity? Would you do that or leave it alone?
November 14, 2012 at 6:48PM   
thelakehouse
Okay... I took the current mirror down and borrowed this mirror from my powder bathroom... it measures 20 1/4" wide and 36" tall. I'm wondering how one of these would look over each sink with one sconce lowered and centered between them? Are these mirrors too small for the space? (They would sit about 4 inches above counter after tile band is added.) Also the vanity depth is 22 1/4" and the depth of the sconce is 12 1/2" - will it stick out too far? We also have not ruled out one large mirror with holes cut to fit the sconces... someone is coming today to give us a price. If we go this route, would we take the mirrors all the way to the ceiling where it meets the crown moulding, or leave around12-14 inches from the ceiling? Would that depend on where the sconces are placed or does that matter?
November 15, 2012 at 7:10AM     
Lovely mirror. Two of them would look great if you'll center the vanity on the wall as you wanted to and then move the sconces down and the left one further left. Or place one sconce between the mirrors at a lower position and add a recessed light over each sink.
November 15, 2012 at 7:35AM     
thelakehouse
Thank you Carolyn! I would probably have no choice but to go with once sconce because I think the left one will end up too close or right on top of the light switch when we lower it... It may be hard to tell in the bottom right picture, but you can see on the left side of the vanity where it used to be before we moved it against the wall- there's no paint there. Do you think it it will be too close to the light switch?
November 15, 2012 at 8:04AM   
I think you could move it and keep the bottom of the sconce about 4" above light switch. I cannot see the spot on the wall you mentioned.
November 15, 2012 at 10:08AM     
thelakehouse
here's a more close up picture of that spot.... Are there regulations as to how close a light fixture can be to a switch plate? Btw, mirror salesman had to rechedule, so I didn't get a quote yesterday. That just gives me alittle more time to decide I guess
November 16, 2012 at 5:46AM   
l still can't see it, but maybe others can. Perhaps a photo with masking tape marking the spot would do it. I know of no code that restricts proximity of switches and fixtures, but I'm not an electrician or a builder.
November 16, 2012 at 6:11AM   
thelakehouse
I used painters tape- does that help any?
November 16, 2012 at 6:24AM   
Bonnie
The sconces over the vanity are too high. Move one of the sconces to the right wall on the side of the vanity (but lower) and place some type of bar lighting over a single long mirror over the vanity. Move the remaining sconce to the toilet closet. As above, add mirrored wastebasket to left of vanity and mini-towel bar above. I would not center the vanity because I feel like it would be awkward with the door and foot traffic so close.
November 16, 2012 at 6:58AM   
thelakehouse
Thank you for your suggestions Bonnie!.... I measured and the right sink bowl sits only 5 1/2 inches from the wall. The sconce would extend out 9 1/2 inches putting it too far over the sink and would be in our face.... Don't think I'd like a sconce over the toilet, which is the only place it would fit as it is a really small room.... I do think maybe I will search for a simple vanity light to place over one big mirror though, as these sconces seem to be my root problem.... I just want it to coordinate well since the lighting has such a big presence in this room. Might be hard to find the right looking one
November 16, 2012 at 7:33AM   
I thought the tape was supposed to show where sconce used to be and I don't think your sconce could possibly have been where the blue tape is. Please explain.
November 16, 2012 at 8:01AM   
nevadan
Sconces should be much lower, at the level of center of mirror. Mirror shoud have a light frame. Ceiling chandelier should be changed - it really looks inappropraite for a bathroom.
November 16, 2012 at 8:07AM   
INTERIORS by Charissa LLC
Okay, I would definitely recommend centering the vanity if you are able. The one sconce looks very crammed in that right corner. The horizontal placement is about right, but they are about a foot too high. They just need to shift over with the vanity and come down a bit. I don't the light switches on the left will be a problem. Your not coming down that far. Oh, and I absolutely LOVE the idea you have with the two mirrors! :-)
November 16, 2012 at 8:12AM     
INTERIORS by Charissa LLC
I think the chandelier is lovely, but might not be to code. :-)
November 16, 2012 at 8:14AM     
thelakehouse
Carolyn, the tape is showing where the sink vanity used to be and where it wouldbe moved back to if we center it

nevadan, mirror is temporary as stated above and strongly disagree with chandelier being inappropriate. Will definately be lowering the sconces! Thanks!

Thank you INTERIORS by Clarissa! I want to put that vanity back where it was and your right, that sconce IS crammed there! I love those mirrors too but it doesn't look like there's room for 2 of them AND 2 sconces b/c of the right side being so tight in that corner, even after we center the vanity! :( :(
I will measure and double check though... and no the chandelier isn't to code, put it up after we passed inspection (wink)
November 16, 2012 at 8:31AM   
INTERIORS by Charissa LLC
Been there, done that on the light over tub issue. :-) I really liked how the mirrors kind of cut out the size of the sconces. Bummer on them not fitting. Crossing my fingers for you! If not, I'm sure you can find either one large mirror or two smaller. Beautiful bath BTW!
November 16, 2012 at 8:51AM   
thelakehouse
Thank you!
November 16, 2012 at 9:01AM   
greenthumb2
Have mirrors made for you to your specs. Any decent framer can do this for you and would be happy to help solve the puzzle. Do a mock up of your existing cannot moves for whatever the reason, and then draw (or have someone draw it for you) ideas on several sheets until something speaks.

Custom made doesn't have to be expensive. Save the arguing for something really important. :=)
November 16, 2012 at 9:45AM   
thelakehouse
Thanks greenthumb2! That's what the "mirror guy" was supposed to do... He'll be coming next week though.... There's no arguing! Lol just "friendly disagreement"!
November 16, 2012 at 10:14AM   
greenthumb2
hi to you thelakehouse. Good stuff. I love to hear people chuckle about remodels. Laughing about ideas and the process is so much more fun than being sad or frustrated. Best of luck with the mirror guy. Your lake house is looking good!
November 16, 2012 at 10:18AM   
thelakehouse
Thank you! You'll be even more amused to hear that this isn't a remodel, but an unfinished project from our new construction home that we moved into this time LAST YEAR! Lol My husband built it and I've been decorating myself ever since! We have had a few other projects so we kept ignoring this one! This bathroom turned out different than I planned, so I've not been as happy about it... But definitely nothing to be upset over, so we're just trying to have a positive attitude about it! We're lucky to live here :)
November 16, 2012 at 10:41AM   
greenthumb2
You are welcome. That is the spirit!
November 16, 2012 at 10:59AM   
thelakehouse
Well, I really dropped the ball on this one, but am now ready to pick up where I left off! Where we are at this point:

1) The vanity can't be centered. The tile was placed around the base, not under it, & we don't wanna redo the tile.
2) Since they are quite large, we've decided to use only one sconce and will lower it several inches then center it in between the mirrors we decide on.
3) I really love the mirrors we have in place now, however, they look too small for the space. I need some height there, I think... I can't find mirrors like these larger than the 20w x 36h I have... does anyone know where I can find them larger? Or can you suggest a style that would look great? I don't want anything with a heavy frame b/c my light fixtures are large, dark, and heavy looking .... I considered oval but haven't seen anything large enough with a frame I like. We still haven't ruled out doing one large mirror with the sconce coming out of it btw...
4) We still need a mirror to go over the makeup vanity area... should that be the same as the ones I get for over the sink vanity? If not, I thought about doing one extra large beveled edge mirror there and getting more ornate ones for over the sinks?... Not sure what's best. Help please! I'm ready to get this bathroom finished! Lol
April 16, 2013 at 8:45AM   
thelakehouse
*
April 16, 2013 at 8:46AM   
thelakehouse
* make up vanity
April 16, 2013 at 8:48AM   
A picture framer can order mirrors in any size you want and frame them in your choice of frames.
April 16, 2013 at 8:50AM   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Or if easier to find, any local glass and mirror shop should be able to create a mirror to your size. They also can provide frames, but I like the clean look of no frame. They can do a beveled glass overlay for a frame. They may be able to recreate your mirrors only larger. It's worth looking into.
April 16, 2013 at 9:44AM   
thelakehouse
Thank you Carolyn Albert-Kincl Design.... I hadn't thought of a picture framer, only just the glass/mirror shop....
Deborah Butler, I will look into the pricing of having something custom made.... I cancelled the person we had scheduled to come out a few months ago. Would probably be cheaper than some of the really high end mirrors I've looked at.... and mmilos! I don't know how I missed the 2nd Horschow mirror you suggested!? Hmmm the price is very good, free shopping, and they are 8" taller than the ones I have! I think I will mark the height with painters tape and see if those would work :) All great suggestions from you all! Any thoughts on a mirror for the make up vanity as well?
April 17, 2013 at 7:46PM   
mazerolleca
would love to see the finished product.... I'm about to do my bathroom at our lakehouse and have loved following your project!
July 20, 2013 at 6:22AM   
thelakehouse
I wish I could say we were finished with it :( We has to step away from it for a few months due to our son having a serious back surgery... He's going great now, but we haven't picked up where we left off yet.
July 20, 2013 at 9:36AM   
When you're ready, we'd love an update. Meanwhile, glad to hear son is doing well. Our families come first.
July 20, 2013 at 6:52PM   
Need help deciding on the direction to lay tiles in the bathroom
I am in the process of remodelling a small flat in...
Need direction for bathroom mirror
I'm the continuing saga of the bath remodel, received...
Need direction for bathroom mirror
Need to update our Master Bathroom and Master Closet.
Our new-to-us House was originally built in 1977 and...
Awkward, ugly, old cabinets
Please help! I am 21, and I'm renting a house that...
Help for master bathroom.
Walls are tan, countertop is crema marfil marble. Vanity...
Need help with my living room
Hi , we moved in our new house year ago ,I am still...
Need help for our kitchen
We are currently thinking of remodeling our kitchen...
Reface or replace circa1962 cabinets?
I am buying a house with this kitchen, complete with...