need help my living room
wintrop
November 14, 2012 in Design Dilemma
need ideas for furniture placement.room color and design idea.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kah416
Move your sofa to face your couch, the add a console table to the back of the couch and put some pretty things on it, that will help separate the room some. Then move the chairs to where the sofa is now, and put an end table between them. Add a mirror above the entertainment center or the fireplace to make the room brighter and put a comfy chair and a floor lamp to where the brown chair on the left of the living room is now, that will add character. :)
November 15, 2012 at 12:09AM   
lc29
I think you need to move the seating away from the walls and center your sofa in front of the fireplace with a chair on each side of the fireplace to make a cozy sitting area. The traffic flow as you enter the room will then change from in front of the sofa to behind the sofa and around the chairs. The sofa should be entirely on the rug.
November 15, 2012 at 2:03AM     
charleee
Is there a way to move the tv next to the fireplace? If you could do that then the fireplace wall could be your focal point, and you could flank the sofa with the two chairs that seem to be out in left field.
November 15, 2012 at 2:40AM   
decoenthusiaste
Center the rug in front of the fireplace focal point and move the sofa to face the TV with its front feet on the rug. Put a sofa table behind it. Move the two chairs on the side of the rug where the sofa is now. Get a round wood table to put between and lower the art so the center of it is no more than 60" above the floor. Hang the FP art about 4" above the mantel. Find a shade for the mantel lamp and use it on the table between the chairs. Replace the upholstered bench with a large wood coffee table and try the bench to the right of the FP to pull out for extra seating. It might work on the wall to the left of the French doors too. Replace the drapes with soft roman blinds on windows and French doors.
November 15, 2012 at 5:34AM   
wintrop
thanks for the advice everyone i will try the different layouts you suggested, love the idea to center the rug with fire place
November 15, 2012 at 6:23AM     
decoenthusiaste
Post your results!
November 15, 2012 at 6:33AM   
PRO
Art Consulting Online LLC
Your fireplace is really cool. It looks like it was made in the Arts and Crafts period. Perhaps you should make it the focus of your room.

First you'll need to buy an Arts and Crafts print to frame and hang over the fireplace. On our website we have a large selection of prints from the Arts and Crafts period. Just go to www.artconsultingonline.com, click Search, then click work on paper, landscapes and under $1000, then on any work by Norma Bassett Hall, where you can click on your favorite, then click on Arts and Crafts (in the notes) to see the whole selection by all of the Arts and Crafts artists we have for sale.

Then I would put your two brown chairs on either side of the couch. You need to buy comfy chairs on either side of the fireplace, with swivels on them so you can look at the TV or face your fireplace or the couch. Just pick ones with a fabric on them that pulls in some of the colors in the Arts and Crafts landscape you have purchased, and you'll have started to create a decor that refers to your wonderful fireplace. It would be great if you could have the bench recovered in another fabric the coordinates with your new print, something subtle and quiet.
November 15, 2012 at 8:20AM   
wintrop
thanks again for all the great suggestions everyone, you guys are terrific!!! I have a lot more options on layout than i thought.
November 15, 2012 at 8:00PM   
More Discussions
DESIGN DILEMMA: Bathroom backsplash ideas?
When you are preparing to renovate or purchase a new...
what kind of paint for butlers pantry
I have a new butlers pantry and am confused as to the...
How to renovate room with damp walls
Our room has damp walls......the paint keeps peeling...
Metal roof choices
We are building our dream house and have a question...
Wine rack or wine fridge ?
Wine rack cabinet or wine fridge , redoing my kitchen...
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™