OLLD 11/15
November 15, 2012 in Other
Good Morning! Interesting comments yesterday, no? I think we should ignore and move on and not feed into what was obviously meant to do nothing else but start trouble. Some people just don't have enough in their lives.

Question - does anyone have a creative idea for displaying Christmas nutcrackers? I'm thinking it would be fun to do something different with them this year.
olldroo
Don't tempt me - BH might end up wearing earrings yet!
November 15, 2012 at 3:58am   
olldroo
Isn't it funny how easy it is becoming to pick generations by the comments they make and how they make them.
November 15, 2012 at 4:00am     
michigammemom
olldbob read your post about the wood-look tile samples. I would not recommend installing any tile over your existing hardwood unless you first install a cement type backer board. Tile directly over subfloor or wood will tend to crack.
November 15, 2012 at 4:33am   
olldroo
Thanks michi, I meant to pick up on that too. I had been thinking of tiling my entry at one stage but by the time we did the fibrous cement board, which is from memory at least 1/2 inch thick, then added the tiles, I was in all sorts of bother with the skirting, basically it would have gone under. That meant it had to be replaced but then it wouldn't match the rest of the house, plus you will have a step effect to the next surface in the house ........... etc, etc, etc, till I gave up. Do watch where you are putting tiles, they are lovely, especially those long plank type ones, and easy clean, but they are noisy and they draw your feet and legs and even your back, if you will be standing on them for any period of time. Basically, you need to wear good gym shoes in the house to combat the effects of them.
November 15, 2012 at 4:44am   
olldroo - earrings? Did I miss something? And yes, I agree, I'm sure these comments weren't made by mature adults, such as ourselves. I do wish Houzz would do away with the top commenters board, tho.

michigammemom - thanks for the advice! I had a refinisher come out and give me an estimate, 275 sq/ft for $1,000.00, and the hallway is beyond refinishing (dogs from previous owner allowed to go potty anywhere) so I thought this would be a better alternative. I'm really impressed with these tiles, they're much thicker than I thought they'd be. And the hardwoods are wavy, like they were refinished with a hand sander. So the backer board will work for that too. Not that it's going to happen any time soon!

olldroo - IF (big IF) we do these they'll go in the living room and center hallway and I'll no doubt use a transition strip to compensate for the step up.
November 15, 2012 at 4:59am   
olldroo
Just making sure you are aware of it olldbob before you get too excited about it. Sometimes tradies just don't think to give you warnings about this type of thing. Is that price just to do the work or does it include the tiles too. I think tiles are being made thicker now, I definitely have more of a step to my ensuite and the main bathroom and toilet will be the same. Fortunately, the carpet will compensate a lot.

Earrings - you asked for ideas for nutcrackers. He managed to send my TV flying across the room today - only got sympathy because he tangled himself up in the ladder. Surprisingly the TV still works.
November 15, 2012 at 5:15am   
The price was for refinishing the existing hardwoods, you mean the $1,000.00? Or the $1.79 sq ft? That's for the tiles alone, we'd install them ourselves. It's easy, not exactly rocket surgery..

Did he throw the tv on purpose? Holy moley!
November 15, 2012 at 5:24am   
creeser
Wow, I missed a lot yesterday! Where was I? *L*
olldbob, I'll take a cruise around the web and try to find an interesting way to display your nutcrackers. When we had steps, my Santas used to set at the edge of each which allowed them to be viewed nicely. I believe you said your house is a single story as is our new one, so that idea won't fly now. I will let you know what I find!
November 15, 2012 at 5:29am     
olldroo
OK I misread your comment, I assumed the $1k was for the tiles, not the existing floors. The tiles are amazingly cheap, I only saw them here recently but didn't see any price. Are they the tiles that are like planks of wood, about 6 or 8 ins wide and 3ft long or maybe more?. I only saw them briefly, didn't stop to study fully, just admired the range of colours in them. Laying the fibrous cement over your floorboards would hopefully ensure a very even surface as the bigger the tile (or in this case longer) the harder they actually are to lay. Actually $1k to refinish your hardwoods sounds pretty good and they should come up like new except you might have to move out for a few days depending on the finish you use on them. You could also have the floors sanded and do the finish on them yourself - if the hall is not a major traffic area - to save a bit. Just wondering if they would go anywhere near your dining room and if so how the tiles would interact with each other.

No he didn't throw the TV on purpose, glad I wasn't there to see or I would probably still be laughing. He was up the ladder washing the ceiling ready to paint and missed his step getting down. Ladder went one way and he went the other and grabbed onto the base of the wall unit I still have set up with the TV, video, DVD player and a lamp to try to get his balance. However, the wall unit didn't like his weight and collapsed sending the TV and everything flying across the room. Was like a deck of cards chain reaction. Lucky I am getting a new entertainment unit and wasn't planning on keeping the wall unit.
November 15, 2012 at 5:46am     
creeser
olldbob, do you go on Pinterest? I just get lost looking at all the Christmas stuff on there. So many beautiful ideas. You would love it!
Saw this as something different that may inspire you:
November 15, 2012 at 5:54am   
olldroo - that's hilarious! Well, now anyway, probably not for him at the moment. Now you'll just have to get that entertainment center a lot sooner. That'll teach him for washing the ceiling!

Creeser, I don't go on pinterest. I have a log-in there but don't use it, to me it's very jumbled and confusing! I love this display you sent me, how cute! Thanks for your help!
November 15, 2012 at 6:46am   

This set me to thinking of trying something different placing decorations. Every year, out of habit I guess, things go in the same ol', same ol' place. I am going to do this with my little guys this year!

BTW, olldbob, I love seeing you at the #1 spot everyday. You add so, so much; you make it interesting, challenging and just plain fun. You can be my leader any day. Every group needs one and I think Emily agrees that you are a most valuable contributor to Houzz…"very credible". :>) xxooo
November 15, 2012 at 8:24am     
Olldbob…rocket SURGERY? think I'll retract the "credible" hehehe.
November 15, 2012 at 8:27am   
mpoulsom
LOL! science perhaps??? and she is right, it is not hard to lay tile at all! I love actually doing it!
bob, i'm thinking that $1000 is pretty cheap to refinish floors though. am I understanding this correctly? it would be a paint in the neck to move out for a couple of days though. you would almost have to. you have already put down greenboard or something in the entry for tile??

and i think i missed a lot yesterday too, or was i blubbering too much? please accept my apologies if it was me.
November 15, 2012 at 8:49am   
mpoulsom
The only nutcrackers I have are some ornaments that are about 7 or 8 inches tall. They have dangling arms and legs. I strung them up one year on some garland instead of hanging them on the tree. Spaced them out and I'm pretty sure hung the garland over a double door opening from the living room to the dining room that year. They looked adorable. They are living on the tree this year though. I think nutcrackers look cute around a fireplace too. Bob, do you have a fireplace? I think they would look cool standing in a circle facing out in the center of a dining table as well. With a large wooden bowl full of nuts in the center!
November 15, 2012 at 9:01am   
A nutcracker with dangling arms and legs is really a nutpuppet or a drunk nutcracker! I feel silly and stupid today. Ignore.

Are you all talking about live trees? We must be putting up a lot of different varieties. My favorite is the Fraser Fir because it doesn't drop needles as much and is very full and lush. The downside is the smell isn't as piney, so I burn this great candle to put the scent in the air. This is a great product, try one. http://www.thymes.com/Fragrances/Frasier-Fir/
November 15, 2012 at 9:17am   
judyg, you have absolutely no idea what comfort your words have given me! Thank you so very much for your comments yesterday and today. You have really made my day. God Bless!

And yes, ROCKET SURGERY! Doesn't everyone operate on rockets???

Mendi, it was not you. But you should go to OLLD 11/14, toward the end, I was the target of some nasty words (again and again). Not that I care mind you, it was just ridiculous. Young whippersnappers!

And $1,000 isn't a bad price for the refinishing, but the hallway is so badly stained from the previous owners dogs it cannot be refinished, the stains are too deep. And black and gross. I have off-white area rugs glued down right now, figured I had nothing to lose by using the glue.

My nutcrackers range in size from 6" to over 3' tall. I have a sofa table, I'll probably just put them there except for the really tall ones which will go on the fireplace. I'm not very good at this!

Olldroo, yes those are the tiles you asked about, they are amazing!

Ok, true confessions time....this living room is driving me crazy(er). The Revere Pewter is so flat, and I don't mean the sheen, it feels like it has no life, no pizazz, it's hard to explain. The drapes are still too short after three different curtain rods, the area rug has to be shoved up agains the sliders because of the dog's muddy paws. The room feels dead. However, I'm not going to do anything about it til January because in a couple of weeks it will be decorated for Christmas anyway. So in January, if I took some pics, would you all mind critique-ing it for me? I need help!!!
November 15, 2012 at 9:27am     
Yesterday, I think it was we were talking about cars. I continue to look; have you ever used this site? Interesting as it really addresses pre-owned, also. http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/awards-best-cars-and-top-10-lists/?psid=99999&utm_source=yahoobing&utm_medium=ppcsearch&utm_campaign=y!b_general-car&siomid=si_322268700_818586763_1&siclientid=6239&sessguid=95c5aa91-a2b8-4c8e-8aa5-b3bf77860d49&userguid=95c5aa91-a2b8-4c8e-8aa5-b3bf77860d49&permguid=95c5aa91-a2b8-4c8e-8aa5-b3bf77860d49
November 15, 2012 at 9:27am   
A nutpuppet! You're a nutpuppet, Mendi! I love that. My tree doesn't drop any needles at all, it just gets shoved back in the box year after year. hehehehe
November 15, 2012 at 9:28am     
mpoulsom
Judyg, I had no idea they were nutpuppets! I love them! :)
Well, I got a large artificial tree this year for the living room...which is killing me, because I DO love live trees, but I live with santa's son and he is all about christmas decorations and putting them up early, so that we can enjoy them for a longer period of time. I have to compromise sometimes! The smell part is of course a wonderful element that I am missing. I did find some ornament sticks at lowe's the other night and I hung them up to try it. A little strange, but we are trying them out to see. He bought a "christmas tree" candle at pier one a couple of weeks ago as well. I'm not sold on it, but I'll check out the site you listed for sure. Plus we are supposed to go up north for christmas, so I won't be home that week before. :(
I had told creeser another time that I thought when I make my live garland for the fireplace, that would bring some natural smell in....so hopefully it will give the aroma i love.
November 15, 2012 at 9:35am     
Mendi, good idea about the garland for bring in that wonderful Christmas tree smell!
November 15, 2012 at 9:37am     
Olldbob, you are very welcome. I get my dander up when rude people hide behind anonymity. I guess if that is what it takes for them to feel "superior", it is pretty pathetic.

Anyway, as I frequently say about my husband: "he's always got my back". We get that way when we are OLLD. :>)
November 15, 2012 at 9:59am     
I think it's totally awesome to have such great friends! Love you! And, thanks again, sincerely.
November 15, 2012 at 10:01am   
creeser
I will never understand the soul of a person that takes pleasure in being mean to others and a bully. Why does that seem to be the common theme among young people any more? Especially young women?
Oh! mp... forgot to mention to you. Lowe's carries an artificial tree that with a flick of a button, you can have either all white lights or multicolored lights. Something to suit anyone! See... you mentioned that like 3 days ago and I'm just now getting around to it. I may be slow, but I get there at some point. *L*
November 15, 2012 at 10:07am     
mpoulsom
Ok ladies, well in the VERY near future I will be posting pics of the boudoir for you to tell me what you think. Not that I'll listen to you, but I do want to hear what you think is wrong and right. hahaha! JK
The walls and trim are painted and will stay that way. I do not have a headboard yet, but have to get one or make one. I moved the bed against a set of double windows and that is sooo not working. The pillows keep slipping behind the bed and then the bed gets "ooonched" away from the wall. I love the side tables I got for the nightstands. J painted them silver for me yesterday and they are in place. They look great, (in my opinion anyway). The room is basically gray...dark...with a few black accents, silver and a tiny bit of rusty orangy colors. My biggest problem has been deciding the curtain color. I was thinking a silvery gray, silk or faux silk fabric. BUT, now that I HAVE to have a headboard, curtains will be in the background of that, or when pulled back on either side. Side tables are silver, lampshades are black with fairly dark gray walls. Curtain rods are black, but they are all the way to the top of the ceiling and are just a bit of black. Think about some of these things, and I'll try and get a pic up soon. Should I do black curtains, gray/silver curtains, OR with something with a pattern? I tend to go monotone and would like to break out a little here. I have 2 sets of double windows, so there will be quite a bit of curtain fabric showing. The carpet in the bedroom is a kind of a taupe/mushroom color and we have a large oriental rug over that. It has a black border and mushroom and beige, olive green, gray and a little tiny speck of a reddish color. It is not the rusty orangy color, but it's not bad. That is something that was contributed to us and I cannot afford to buy a new rug at this time. BTW, the orangy color that is in the room now, can be changed. I have a piece of furniture in the room that is painted this color (looks good) and it is also in a throw pillow on the bed. I like it a lot as an accent color, but if I need to I will change it. Any feedback or questions appreciated. AND I know i know, a picture says a 1000 words I'll try and do it soon!
November 15, 2012 at 10:08am   
creeser
judy, that photo is how I used to do my Santas when we had stairs. I have no idea what I'll do with them in the new house unless they line the hallway. I have this gorgeous 3 foot angel with metal wings that span close to 3' themselves. Not sure what to do with her unless she gets to grace the center of my table. Hubby bought me a 12' farm table for the new house and I so enjoy it.
November 15, 2012 at 10:09am   
creeser
mp... I saw the perfect headboard for you. A place in Columbia called Southeaster Salvage. They have these enormous carved Balinese doors that they show a photo of them being used as a headboard. How tall are your ceilings? They are so dramatic. Perfect for an artist!
November 15, 2012 at 10:10am     
mpoulsom
oh creeser, you are WAY too late lady! lol!
Tree up, lights on! all white regular with one strand of twinkling whites intertwined through the tree! It looks AWESOME! Not too disco but just enough action.
however I did get home last night and there were lights on the 2 trees outside in the yard. Ain't gonna happen! It was hideous! They were the larger LED lights. They are way too blue. I think what I'm going to do is use those lights to outline my garden shack. I have a small, cute little building in the backyard. It just happens to be brown and it is perfect for a little gingerbread house. I am going to cut out some white fabric i have and make snow hanging from the roofline etc. and put those lights behind the fabric or just string it along the roofline. It will be perfect for that! :)
We are having to rethink the whole front yard thing.
November 15, 2012 at 10:18am   
mpoulsom
Oh I would LOVE those doors I'm sure. I have the old lady ranch style house, so these are the SHORTEST ceilings I've ever lived in, in my entire life! I think they are 9 ft tall???
November 15, 2012 at 10:36am   
creeser
I'm sure they can be cut at the bottom, then you could use what you cut off for a table top or something interesting for the wall. We will be going over there in the next few weeks. I'll take a photo of them with my phone and get the price and post it on here. Might be worth the drive if you like them!
November 15, 2012 at 11:04am   
mpoulsom
ok crees..i found these examples...and there is actually a tiny store nearby, but they are outrageously high. have this type of beautifully handcarved doors etc. i saw them a couple of years ago and was inlove, but when i saw the price tag..oh well! Thanks for reminding me about them. Great idea!

I could use one and turn it horizontically for sure. my ceiling height will not allow something extremely tall i don't think. just tried to check out their website...don't show many pics of anything, but it looks like my kind of store. i am constantly complaining about not having a salvage store in this area. it is big enough to support one, but still nothing. there is also a place in asheville, called scrounger's paradise that i am dying to go check out! looks like a similiar type place. If you can get an idea on price at your store, then that would be great. at least i would know if it's affordable. J will say that we can just make one, which we can, but sometimes i would like to just be able to BUY something! lol! aaahhhh the life of an artist. it's the only reason i know how to do so many things! i'm too dang poor to buy it, so if i want it, i make it! lol!
November 15, 2012 at 11:22am     
creeser
It's double doors and it looks a lot like the very first door. Really gorgeous. I want to say it was less than 2K Maybe like $1800, but I can't say for sure. I've priced so many things in there. *L*That's where my 12foot farm table came from.
November 15, 2012 at 11:30am   
mpoulsom
well it sounds like i will be carving in the near future! ha! I had thought about using a door for a headboard anyway and adding to it, etc. so maybe I need to go that route. I cannot spend $2000 on a headboard. ;( The partner in crime DOES carve however. Maybe I can get him started on something. My last attempt of getting him to do a totem like sculpture outside for the patio area did not fly however. He is an artist as well. Can you imagine the butting of the heads?! 2 artists in the same house not having entirely the same vision. It's hard sometimes. Usually after the fight, we come up with some kind of compromise however!
November 15, 2012 at 12:32pm   
mpoulsom
I was just posting on a thread and came up with another possible solution for a cool headboard. a folding screen and i could build a frame for it, so it would sturdy enough to withstand whatever! ;)

and also...now this was a LONG time ago, but i went to the big home depot store in atlanta with some folks to pick out some things for their house...they had a hand carved wooden piece that i made them buy to hang along the stairwell wall. They needed something big and dramatic and we put lights behind it that shown through the carvings. it was beautiful , and very reasonably priced. wonder if they still have those, or where i could get them for a good price.
November 15, 2012 at 12:59pm   
I feel like I have some catching up to do! That's what happens when you fall asleep on the sofa, waiting for the dryer repairman.

That first door is gorgeous! The other three are a little ornate for my tastes but I really like that first one. These are for a headboard? Like, sideways? They look a little too tall to stand up behind the bed, no?
November 15, 2012 at 1:05pm   
This is $$$, but a great idea for you! A folding screen where you insert your own art work! You could build this, I bet.

November 15, 2012 at 1:13pm     
Oh wow judy, great idea for someone like Mendi!
November 15, 2012 at 1:15pm     
creeser
mp, go to the houzz search engine, photos, click bedroom and then put in carved headboards. So many beautiful options to inspire an artist and her artistic partner in crime.
November 15, 2012 at 1:24pm     
creeser
....or go to etsy.com and look under the beds. Tons of great stuff there as well.
November 15, 2012 at 1:26pm     
mpoulsom
oh lordy...now i have too many ideas. i have a feeling this is going to turn out very bizarro! LOL!
ladies keep in mind that I have a TON of artwork. What if I got J to build a headboard with recessed panels in them, like a grid pattern with the cut-outs being 16x20's or 18x24's, 4 across and 2 high. 8 panels of equal size basically and inserted canvases in the spaces. Or maybe 4 bigger panels. I'll have to check and see what size paintings we have right now lying around. And which direction they are going. Now this could be really neat I think. Not something you see everyday, that's for sure. It will have to be done just right though, so as not to look tacky. great feedback guys! we are a good team!

YAY!
November 15, 2012 at 1:37pm   
You can do it Mendi! I know you can!
November 15, 2012 at 1:39pm     
mpoulsom
okay...i should never have gone to etsy! lol! i found something that i love that is totally different than what we have been talking about. BUT, I could do this in my bedroom (maybe) and do the other idea in the midget bedroom. Originally I was going to paint a headboard ON the wall, but then had to move the bed to the window wall. So...I'm thinking I still want to do the art headboard in the guest "midget" bedroom. That's what I call it, because it's small.
Here is another idea for my headboard...doesn't have to be exactly this, but I really like it.
November 15, 2012 at 1:59pm     
I really like that too, it reminds me of the glass tiles I love so much.
November 15, 2012 at 2:04pm     
olldcan
Yesterday was quite interesting......... and what the heck is going on with this conversation. Seriously, I have to read everything from today to understand where we are. Nutcrackers and nut puppets, aren't those wrestling moves. When the 3 boys were all at home and the family room turned into W.W.F I'm sure thats how every match was decided.
So Just finished purging my office, think I lost about 900 lbs of paperwork. Desk and credenza are once again visible. There is nothing happening in this room. Beige berber, white walls and blind, expresso brown furniture....... I know, I know, I have too do something. My office has this silly pony wall on 2 sides that drive me nutz!!!!! Think I'll head to BM tomorrow, picked up 6 paint samples today and hate everyone of them once there were home in my light.

mpoulson,
Hey, if you want snow I'm the gal for that. I have no shortage and am expecting another delivery of it before the weekend. Yaaaa like I haven't shovelled, scraped, pushed,chipped, slipped and landed on my a$$ enough in the last week
November 15, 2012 at 2:15pm     
olldcan, you crack me up! 900 lb of paperwork is no small amount, were you at it all day? And I'm betting with all that snow you're all ready thinking of spring!
November 15, 2012 at 2:18pm     
mpoulsom
oh no olldcan, don't get hurt, or wear some of those butt panties! they have padding on the cheeks! lol! have you located your light yet?
we love snow in the south!! because it is so rare! but i did once live in a place that had a decent amount during the winter...and i kept saying, after about 6 days, when is it going to stop? shouldn't it be melted by now? hahaha!
November 15, 2012 at 2:21pm     
Complain all you want about the snow, nothing beats a white Christmas!
November 15, 2012 at 2:23pm     
mpoulsom
i'm dreaming of a white christmas is on the radio RIGHT NOW bob!! how weird is that?!
November 15, 2012 at 2:29pm   
That is weird!! Ok, let's try this one: I'm dreaming of a winning lotto ticket........Do you know there is a woman in Indiana that has hit lotto SIX times? Not all wins were the big jackpot, but still. If there are so few people in Indiana that they're on their sixth win, I know where I'm moving!
November 15, 2012 at 2:31pm   
olldcan
olldbob, I spent about 9 hours on the office, went through every file, nook and cranny. Just when I thought I might need another file cabinet, turns out I now have an empty one. Old computer programs coming out the yin yang.
Okay I agree, a white Christmas is awesome. Roasting marshmallows around the fire pit outside with the snow coming down is beautiful. Turkey deep frying in the snow bank, yum yum. I spent Christmas one year in Hawaii, will never do that again. It's just not right.

mpoulson, butt panties????? LOL Technically I should have enough padding and no I can't find that other light. I keep looking but no luck yet. I think I'll send my sisters in Calgary and Vancouver a picture of it and get them to go bloodhound on it. Love the art headboard idea:)
November 15, 2012 at 2:43pm   
olldcan, I spent a Thanksgiving in Hawaii once and I feel the same way! There's something wrong with shopping for and decorating a Christmas tree in shorts and flip-flops! Should be illegal.
November 15, 2012 at 2:50pm   
mpoulsom
If I ever win the lottery, I WILL share girls! You just tell me what you want! :)
November 15, 2012 at 2:51pm     
mpoulsom
ok..this whole discussion today has made me want to open my own shop creating headboards and other artsy fartsy furniture and of course paintings will be sold as well! :)
November 15, 2012 at 2:59pm     
mpoulsom
ladies...i bid you a goodnight and a happy morning! I am about to leave work and will be scheming on the new headboard idea when i get home...and the new business...lol
til tomorrow
November 15, 2012 at 3:54pm   
olldcan
mpoulson, I'm ONLY going to like that idea if you ship to Canada. Maybe you girls can help me understand why so many American companies wont sell or ship to Canada. Really, there only hurting themselves because the ones that do have tons of customers here. We pay in whatever funds are required, we pay the shipping, duty, handling and all import charges so what's the big deal. Don't they like to make money?????
November 15, 2012 at 3:59pm   
olldcan, I kind of know what you mean. When I first moved to California, all the newspaper ads stated "prices slightly higher west of the Rockies". Why? Do they still have to fight the Indians to get here?
November 15, 2012 at 4:04pm     
Ha! I was just thinking about you! Glad you're starting to feel human again. Are you cooking Thanksgiving dinner?
November 15, 2012 at 4:24pm   
Sounds better than cooking to me! If you want some interesting reading, read the bottom section of OLLD 11/14. Someone doesn't like me!
November 15, 2012 at 4:48pm   
Butt panties? Did Marilyn Monroe design them? She wore a size 12! No one ever look that good in a 12.

feeny, olldbob, needs a hug.

mp, why not just create a fabulous painting, frame it and hang it 26" above the bed. Get a great fabric, make 3 Euro sham covers, prop up against the wall, under your creation and put stoppers under the feet of your bed to keep it from moving. And why does the bed move? hehehe

I am paying $3.87 a gallon because we are the farthest point on the delivery line. ?????? I heard Ca is very high.
November 15, 2012 at 5:18pm   
$3.55/gallon in California, Not an average, just the cheapest!
November 15, 2012 at 5:38pm   
Nighty night from me. Have to get up early for my walk @ 8. Tomorrow we are walking the loop in Chatham, which is the very most south point on the Cape. 4 miles and we walk along the water, by the Chatham Coast Guard Station, through the quaint downtown and stop for a coffee. It is the Historic section and most of the houses are late 1700's, early 1800's Capes. You would love this walk.
November 15, 2012 at 5:50pm     
Have fun, and a cup for me!
November 15, 2012 at 5:52pm     
Thanks, feeny! And a virtual hug right back at ya. Yeah, it was pretty weird but Emily commented on it and all is ok now. Thanks for your words of support :))
November 15, 2012 at 5:56pm     
November 15, 2012 at 5:58pm     
Dang girl, what will us poor people do?
November 15, 2012 at 5:59pm   
olldroo
Hi again Ladies - just love how I get in on the start and finish of everything. Goodness you have all been busy today. Mendi, you and your hubby sound amazing, your home must be really special.

Stopping for a late lunch as y'all are about to hit the sack. Raining, very overcast and miserable here today so painting totally on hold, too dark to see. Sadly supposed to be like this for 5 days so that will eat into our schedule, but we are moving on with any prep work and taping up timber so all will be ready to go once the sun comes out. Will be a good time to sit and sew curtains too so hopefully will get a lot of them done. Was going to the fabric shop today but it is too wet, there is no undercover parking at all and I would get drenched just trying to get to and from the car, especially if I have a lot of fabric.

So to add my two bits worth to today's discussions,

Bob - didn't realise you floors were totalled. Glad you glued the rugs down, I would seriously worry about what was breeding in the scratches. I absolutely fell in love with those tiles and immediately wondered where I could put them but then realised I had nowhere. I just can't live with them in the house but if you are ok with them then go for it. At least you should never have to worry about replacing flooring there again.

We always say "rocket science" here, especially when dealing with know-all teenagers who can't do the simplest thing.

I have been giving thought to your lounge room paint dilemma, Bob, and I really think this comes down to an issue I have had with Houzz for ages and that is when they come up with all the latest decorating and colouring ideas on a 'must have' basis but pay no regard to individual homes, style of home, location, aspect - the things that really make a colour scheme work or flop. They leave that to the reader to work out but the problem is it is an issue a lot of people don't understand. When I saw all the grey rooms with yellow and white I instantly fell in love with it but when I stood in the doorway of my room just nothing fitted. I looked back at the photos and realised the rooms are so totally different to mine, even the feel of them was different. The US has a lot of different areas and climate varies hugely and that in itself makes a big difference as far as decorating that works and what doesn't. I think CA would have the closest weather to ours, you definitely have a lot more sun and a hot climate creates a totally different lifestyle too and different styles of homes. You love that deep red ochre colour too but to me that would never go in your home either. I think your colours need to be clear, clean and fresh to embrace the sunlight, to give the rooms a sparkle. I think you said once your loungeroom was hot, like mine is, so while a grey would tone that down a blue does the same thing but adds freshness. Do you get my drift??? I'm rather surprised at R picking that colour with his colourful background but then maybe he has been o/d on colour and just gone too far the other way.

I will look forward to seeing your photos.

creeser - you totally cracked me up with an innocent little remark you made talking about the price of the doors. You said "I want to say...". One time my daughter was here and whenever we got into discussion about anything the "I want to say" came out. We gave her such a hard time over it as she didn't even realise she was saying it. Must be one of your things as no one says it here.

mendi - love the sound of the screen for you existing artwork BUT will you honestly be happy with that ? I would bet anything the artist in you will take over and you would have to paint a special series of work so everything coordinates or tells a story :)

judy - love the sound of your walk with all the historic aspect. I will have to Google it, I just love exploring places that way.

Getting cold sitting here now, wish this weather would get some consistency to it.
November 15, 2012 at 8:06pm   
creeser
olldroo, that's a regional thing and I had to go back and find what you were talking about. *L* I have caught and edited myself from putting in several times the phrase.. " I'm just sayin'... " It's actually become a family joke about me, but I notice my son-in-law does it as well. Pot calling the kettle black type of thing when he ribs me about it. Bet if you heard a group of us from this part of the country talking, it would sound like a foreign language. *L*
olldbob, my parents filled up last week for $2.89/gallon. I looked for that locally, but couldn't find it around here. I think we're at $3.25.
November 16, 2012 at 2:48am   
olldroo, thanks for your comments about my l/r. I've come to terms with the paint color now. R almost never says anything about how he wants the rooms to look so when he does say something I sit up and take notice! We'll work this room out, even it if kills me!

Sorry your weather is wet! We're expecting rain for the next five days, I'm very happy because I do love the rain. At least in the beginning of the season, toward summer I'm ready to kiss it goodby.

I'll start today's thread. Have fun with your sewing!
November 16, 2012 at 2:51am   
creeser - $2.89/gallon! That's unheard of here. If we got a price like that no doubt people would be lining up with every gas can they could find!
November 16, 2012 at 2:52am   
olldroo
Creeser, my daughter is in LA so I don't know how she has picked it up. I'm sure I would have to listen very carefully, I even find myself reading these comments really slowly at times getting things right. I will have to try to think up something to confuse you guys LOL!!!

Turned really cold here again, back in winter clothes and of course it doesn't help now I have pulled up half the carpet and taken curtains down. To make matters worse they are now predicting another week of rain. Bad news for the painting.

Don't know if you guys have picked up on a commenter by the name of Astraea. I've had quite a few chats with her and she sounds really nice and I invited her to come across. Hope she does. Thought Bob might enjoy her company, she lives in NJ. Survived Sandy with no damage.

Your petrol prices shocked me, I thought they were really cheap, but then I realised you are in gallons which does make it cheaper. My last fill up would have come out at around $5.84 gallon.
November 16, 2012 at 3:05am     
creeser
olldroo, maybe it's not regional and just American. We have an Air Force base in town, so when my children were in school, I met a lot of moms from different parts of the country and some from overseas. I started picking up on the language differences then being one of the few 'home grown' in the group. *L*
Glad you're inviting people! It's fun to get more nice faces in the group. Notice I added the nice after that nasty woman was so mean to our beloved Bobbi.
November 16, 2012 at 3:14am     
Thanks, creeser, I'm still trying to figure out the "why". It makes no sense! I must have seriously stepped on someone's toes, but I don't know when, or what I said. I made a comment on someone's bathroom dilemma and Carolyn called me on it, but that's the only time I can remember crossing swords with someone. And all I said was I was going to pattern my bathroom after Matt Damon because I found him very inspirational. Somehow Carolyn took offense to it, but I know this wasn't Carolyn, she's way too sweet. Whatever, I think it's best to put it behind us now. I changed my profile to not allow followers and all my comments have disappeared, which is good. At least no one can use them against me! hehehe
November 16, 2012 at 3:20am   
olldroo
olldbob - I can so relate to what you are saying about R. BH is the same, never says a word, if I ask him for input he doesn't know or has no idea so when he does voice an opinion I will go his way in the hope he will participate more. When we went to choose bathroom fittings he was in a bit of a bad mood as we had to go to his mother's and he hates going there (long story) so he started off being very uncooperative and wouldn't give any input but then told the sales guy he never had any say. I got so mad I asked the sales guy for the Ladies' Room and told BH I was going and to go choose all the taps while I was gone. Really took my time but when I came back he was in a much better frame of mind and had actually chosen great stuff, all what I thought I would like. I could see the sales guy struggling to keep a straight face.

Yes, well the sewing ............ moving the dining room furniture today and when we picked the table up it fell apart. I DO NOT NEED THIS!!!!!! It is the only thing big enough to cut my curtains on, so now it is in 4 pieces. The thingies that joined the pieces have rusted with age. Suggested we go out and buy a new one but BH is adamant he can fix it. I will give him a few days.
November 16, 2012 at 3:25am   
creeser
Bobbi, you didn't do anything. There are people in this world who are so angry on the inside that all they do is go around picking on others trying to start a fight. Your name is on the top of the list of commentators, so they picked you as a target. Nothing more. Your comments are wonderful and never step on toes.
November 16, 2012 at 3:25am     
Thanks, creeser, it's just so weird to me. I would NEVER do that to someone else! Although I have to admit I've been tempted....LOL Get it?

olldroo, I can't believe your table fell apart! You do seem to be having a bit of bad luck lately. Grab a cup of coffee or a Jack Daniels (it's 12 o'clock somewhere, right?) sit a spell and take a deep breath!
November 16, 2012 at 3:29am   
olldroo
creeser, I don't know if they are necessarily angry people or just people low on self esteem, or grossly immature they have this thing of putting people down. Definitely seems a problem with the younger generation. Sometimes wonder where the world is heading and what things will be like in 20 years.
November 16, 2012 at 3:32am   
creeser
Have you ever noticed when you take on a project ... like painting... then everything else seems to fall apart while you're doing it?
November 16, 2012 at 3:32am   
olldroo - I plan to be dead in 20 years! It's not that I have a death wish, I just prefer quality over quantity! My neighbor is 75, has had alzheimers for at least 5 years, and cancer. When she's able to leave the hospital she asks her husband of 50 years when he's going to go home. No thanks!
November 16, 2012 at 3:34am   
creeser
olldroo, have you noticed what is popular on tv with young people? All these 'reality' shows where they do nothing but argue, manipulate and all around be mean to each other. There are no parents around to raise them with any other set of values. Can you imagine what these mean people are going to raise THEIR children to be? A whole generation of monsters.
November 16, 2012 at 3:35am   
olldroo
Well definitely the dust and cobwebs are piling up, but I'm not fussed for once, it will all get a thorough clean as everything gets restored to normal.

Things seem to fall apart more too when you are trying to budget and are short on money.

Called Murphy's Law.
November 16, 2012 at 3:35am   
creeser - YES!!! I call it the snowball effect! It's sad, but true.......
November 16, 2012 at 3:35am   
olldroo - Murphy was an optimist!

Creeser, you're right! I never thought of the reality shows as being the catalist, I always blamed it on video games but I think you nailed it!
November 16, 2012 at 3:37am   
creeser
olldbob, you never know. My grandmother passed away 3 years ago at the age of 99. She was sharp as a tack and so healthy to the end. Her heart just stopped. When I called my cousin to tell her, we talked about how surprised we were. In our minds, she was so healthy, we just mentally thought we'd pass her down like a treasured heirloom. *L*
November 16, 2012 at 3:38am     
creeser
olldbob, video games don't help either.
November 16, 2012 at 3:39am     
creeser, if you can live healthy and with all your faculties in tact, then it's wonderful. But rare! My grandmother was born in 1899 and lived to be almost 90. And if you think about it, the life expectancy for a baby born in 1899 is only 35 years, I'd say she did pretty good! Imagine? Life expectancy of 35 years? Weird.
November 16, 2012 at 3:43am   
olldroo
I can say I probably won't be here in 20 years which is scary in a way, but my mum was 2 months short of 93 when she passed so I might get lucky. Not sure when she got dementia but her last 3 years were definitely lived orbitting Pluto and I definitely wouldn't like to live like that.

Don't know about those reality shows, the producers encourage the participants to behave like that for "dramatic effect" which is a bit of a sad statement of our times but then again, when you think about it the shows would be a little boring if everyone just smiled sweetly all the time. However, they really don't need to go as over the top as they do. Maybe we need more re-runs of Leave it to Beaver, et al, to get back to basics again.
November 16, 2012 at 3:44am   
Speaking of reality shows, do you guys watch Project Runway? My favorite designer, Andrae, was eliminated last night. boo hoo I have to admit his designs made no sense but he was such a nice guy!
November 16, 2012 at 3:47am   
olldroo
I can relate to Murphy being an optimist - aren't we being optimistic when we take on major projects that everything will run smoothly.

Don't start me on video games and movies - I blame them for so much, there is no way that level of violence and disrespect cannot rub off, especially with the hours kids are glued to them.
November 16, 2012 at 3:48am     
You know my opinion: that those nasties were made by one person…someone who took the time to set up 3 new accounts. When I clicked on their names, none had ever made a comment before; none had any idea books. Also, the wording and phraseology were so alike…just too much of coincidence. Even referring to olldbob as a man didn't ring true; it was more like a distraction kind of thing. I have an idea who it might be only because of her rather pompous and condescending remarks she makes when she contradicts or more accurately dismisses anyone's suggestions (particularly paint choices) and throws her "professional" credits out and tacitly reminds us that we are not pros. Of course, I couldn't take this to court :>) but I'm keeping a lookout. I also bet that whoever wrote those unmerited and unkind words is still following these threads just to see reactions. So, if she is, I just want her to know that she has lost my respect professionally and personally. And that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
November 16, 2012 at 9:10am     
creeser
judy, I totally agree it was one person. I seriously thought it had to be a very young twenty something. Stunned if it turns out to be this so-called professional you think it is. Guess ignorance and arrogance comes in all ages.
November 16, 2012 at 9:13am     
Yes it certainly does, creeser. My father used to say the root of most nastiness comes from jealousy. He was correct.
November 16, 2012 at 9:19am     
I know who you mean. And I agree that is was just one person. I won't lie to you and tell you that it didn't hurt, but when you consider the source......Judy, honey, honestly, it's ok. It's actually kind of flattering, if you think about it, if it is the professional then she obviously thinks my opinions are worth something otherwise why even bother?

I love your support, you are a true friend and so is everyone else with their kind words. And it was nice of Emily to step in, too. I believe in Karma, don't you? What goes around comes right back at ya?

It's true I get cranky, and someone actually did write to Emily to complain about me but that was a long time ago. We need to move on, sweetie, if it happens again we'll def do something about it, ok? Love you!
November 16, 2012 at 9:22am     
creeser
judyg, he certainly was.
November 16, 2012 at 9:22am     
olldbob, My grand was born in 1892 and lived until 1981 in great health, alone for almost 30 years, outlived everyone including my mother. She just died! No illness, no suffering, just died. What gift. Our Question #2 here was "die with dignity" modeled after CA law. It didn't pass, but it was so close. All the districts that had predominately older residents it passed with flying colors.
November 16, 2012 at 9:36am     
California has a die with dignity law? I didn't know that! Sorry about your grandma. I still miss my Nana I have great memories of her. And I am sure my mother will outlive me, it's her goal and she usually gets what she wants!

Well since I'm olld, I'm takin' a nap! Talk at ya later.
November 16, 2012 at 9:40am   
TODAY IS THE OLLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

~Your Kids are becoming you......but your grandchildren are Perfect!

~Going Out is good.. Coming Home is better!

~You Forget names.... But it's OK because other people forgot they Even knew you!!!

~You realize you're never going to be really good at anything.... Especially Golf.

~The things you used to care to do, you no longer care to do, but you really do care that you don't care to do them anymore.

~You sleep better on a lounge chair with the TV blaring than in bed. It's Called "pre-sleep".

~You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF" Switch..

~You tend to use more 4 letter words ... "what?"..."when?"... ???

~Now that you can afford expensive jewelry, it's not safe to wear it anywhere.

~You notice everything they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!

~What used to be freckles are now liver spots.

~Everybody Whispers.

~You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet.... 2 of which you will never wear.

~~~But Olld is good in some things: Old songs, Old movies, and best of all, OLLD FRIENDS!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived
November 16, 2012 at 9:49am   
astraea
@JudyG - What state are you in? I read that one of the state legislators in New Jersey introduced a "Death with Dignity" bill in the Assembly, so I wrote to my legislators asking them to support it. The problem with a lot of laws is that politicians hide a lot of unpopular unrelated stuff to bills, and that results in a loss of support .. or getting stuck with the unpopular stuff too!!
November 16, 2012 at 9:55am   
creeser
judyg, you just nailed me! *LOL*
Hello astraea! olldroo said she invited you to come check out our little group. Welcome!
November 16, 2012 at 10:07am   
astraea, welcome! I am in MA, Cape Cod. I've linked you to our local paper and the article on why the bill didn't pass. The Cape, as you probably know, is loaded with retirees and the towns with the highest number of Seniors voted "yes". I guess the young never think they will die, or have yet to see a loved one die, miserably. This is just the beginning, I hope. It needs to be clarified. Opponents used the words "suicide", "euthanasia". It is neither, in my opinion, but those words ring loud and clear. My understanding is that CA and OR have never had an incident. We always go back to the faithful pets and how our love for them drives us to make sure they do not suffer at the end. That is celebrated. I just want that for me and my loved ones. Just get it on the books and then it simply becomes a matter of choice. My mother's last hours…I could have pulled out those tubes, except I thought I would go to jail. Probably TMI here; hope I haven't offended my gals. http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121113/NEWS/211130328
November 16, 2012 at 11:08am     
mpoulsom
howdy girls!!!!!!!!!!! i'll be back in a little while!!
November 16, 2012 at 11:25am   
creeser
No offense here judyg. I've watched too many loves one suffer with dementia and alzheimers and bodies wracked with cancer.
November 16, 2012 at 11:45am     
Welcome astraea! What a great morbid subject/day you picked to join! Geez you guys, really?

judy, your aging thoughts are hilarious! Why are we on 11/15? Something to do with being olld?
November 16, 2012 at 12:33pm     
Astraea! You're in New Jersey? Whereabouts? I love New Jersey, I miss it so much. And I love Gov Christie!
November 16, 2012 at 12:35pm   
astraea
Hi ollbob; I love Governor Christie too; hope he runs for President in 2016! I live in the SE corner of Monmouth County, which just got clobbered by Hurricane Sandy. Before that, I lived up in Bergen County for 29 years.

Death is easy; it's the "living death" that's horrible .. people who have Alzheimer's for 5+ years, and are like an uncooperative baby for their elderly spouse to care for, friends who suffered with ALS for 6+ years, or the last stages of MS.
November 16, 2012 at 1:48pm     
astraea, I lived in Middlesex County, Woodbridge Township, town of Port Reading. I went to Avenel Jr High School and I saw on the news that new car sales there are, well, lively! I keep in touch with a friend who I went to school with (haven't seen her since 1968 and she's a skinny little you-know-what!) and her Dad is still there, he had to evacuate. But that's all I know and I'd love to know anything else, if you can clue me in I would be ever so greatful.

Yes! Chris Christie is THE BEST. I invited him to come and live/rule California, I think he's thinking about it.........stay tuned.........
November 16, 2012 at 2:04pm     
mpoulsom
What in the sam hill is going on here?! lol!
cheer up ma ladies...

hello astraea! or another jersey girl i should say! my other half is from jersey too...mom lives in point pleasant beach! are you and your family ok? we are supposed to come up for christmas and i'm dreading seeing all the destruction! i feel so badly for everyone up there! we are in sc.

okay, so i've been looking at STUFF all day online. headboard STUFF! just now getting back here to say hello. what have i missed?
November 16, 2012 at 2:09pm   
Well, blame it on astraea! She started it! :>} Not really, olldbob started it when she said she will be dead in 20 years! Creeser and olldroo picked up the ball and I ran with it. So it wasn't my fault. They did it. :>). I guess we need you, mpoulsom, to keep us in check. Did you find a headboard?
November 16, 2012 at 2:21pm     
astraea
Hi mpoulsom; wow .. Point Pleasant Beach really got hammered .. boats in the streets, houses lost, very bad! I'm right across the Manasquan River in Brielle. I just got an estimate from a tree company, that it would cost $3,500 to remove the 2 trees that uprooted in front of my house .. think I need a 2nd opinion! Other than trees falling (I already paid $1,400 for 2 tall pines to be cut up), I didn't have any damage, and the generator kept the house liveable .. if you can call it "liveable" without the internet or e-mail (LOL).

This is my first time commenting anywhere other than with an article.
November 16, 2012 at 2:38pm   
mpoulsom
well we are a fun group i think! :) (we are the REAL people on houzz! lol!)
and yes it was an awful experience for his mom and her close friend who lives a block away. They camped out together and refused to leave and stayed in the powerless environment. had to throw away a lot of things, but the houses were okay. she will prob have to replace all the ductwork under her house, garage and porch got flooded. i'm sure there will be plenty for us to do when we get up there. they got a generator FINALLY after being with out power for 7 or 8 days. they had no clue how bad everything was around them. they had no news except through us. and when they finally went to Brick to the mickey D's where there was power, and a tv and internet, they were shocked! i kept telling them to leave!!!! but they wouldn't..crazy people!
November 16, 2012 at 2:46pm   
mendi - when are you leaving? Take pics!
November 16, 2012 at 2:58pm   
astraea
I know of several older people in Brielle - property backing right on the Manasquan River - who wouldn't leave. One couple got dehydrated & had to be taken by the First Aid Squad to a hospital center. Now they're still not back home; really sad! I only saw the pictures in the newspaper; I'm sure people elsewhere who saw it on TV, have a much better picture of how bad it was.
November 16, 2012 at 3:08pm   
mpoulsom
bob, i'm not leaving until the week before christmas most likely. i haven't even told my boss yet! lol! I don't even know what day christmas is on this year! good grief!
November 16, 2012 at 3:12pm   
mpoulsom
ok, i think i'll leave friday the 21st of december and stay a day or two after christmas??? I will be taking so many pics you won't believe it! of the devastation AND of NYC baby!
Just took a gander at the calendar...shouldn't be a problem getting off work.
November 16, 2012 at 3:15pm   
olldroo
Hey mp, don't forget the end of the world is going to happen on 21st December - lol

I got an email the other day with a whole lot of photos after Sandy and they showed sharks swimming down the main streets in NYC.

Hi Astraea, glad you made it across. I didn't want to say too much on that other article but I thought you might enjoy us. Yes, I changed my name as I had a bit of a security scare - our comments can be traced by a google name search. So as you can see, we chat away about all sorts of things, never quite know what topic will come up next. Because I am a day ahead of you, my comments are a bit all over the place. Anyway I see the other girls didn't explain but olldbob is our official thread starter and we start a new thread each day so if you go into Discussions and then select Other you will find the link to the next day's thread. They are all titled OLLD and the date. Hope you enjoy.
November 16, 2012 at 5:11pm     
olldroo, what about my 30yr warranty on the roof? Even my car warranty is still in effect. Those Mayans, absolutely no consideration.
November 16, 2012 at 6:44pm   
olldroo
I know, I only get 2 weeks of my 15 year warranty on my new carpet. Should I even get it laid.........decisions, decisions.
November 16, 2012 at 7:08pm   
If you get it down in the next couple of weeks….then there is always the thought, when prepared it never happens!!!! put that carpet down, girl. What color?
November 16, 2012 at 7:35pm   
olldroo
Judy, I suffer enough from anxiety as it is, and all the what ifs that go with that so not going to start with some ratbags who have nothing better to do with their lives. Carpet goes down 7/12 and new lounge arrives 8/12 - unless Murphy decrees otherwise. Thought I had posted a photo of the carpet, but I guess us all being OLLD we forget.
November 16, 2012 at 7:52pm     
roo, what's that color?
November 17, 2012 at 10:23am   
olldroo
Judy, I longed for a white carpet but common sense got the better of me and this is a cream with a soft tan fleck through it, not too obvious but just enough to take the plainness off it in case of any accidents. Unfortunately, it does come up a bit grey in the photo but it is a nice rich cream. I have it against my timber panelling I wanted it to co-ordinate with - not wonderful I could have had other carpets that were more a honey colour and looked great except I didn't want such an all over honey colour. Also they were berbers and we decided we really liked a twist pile. Very limited colour choice as the mud colours are so in at the moment and they just aren't right for me. BH actually made sense in the end when he commented that I was trying to choose carpet for the whole house based on one wall in one room. On the very left hand side you can see a smidge of "the" rust carpet I have hated for years now - the reason why I was going so overboard about the white.
November 17, 2012 at 2:15pm     
olldroo
judy - here is a link to the carpet website, colours are a little better
http://www.cavbrem.com.au/tools/search-products/product-details.aspx?code=362

The third carpet across Avila was the one I was going to have but the second last one Leon is the one I have chosen. It actually looks more brown than it is but the shade is better.
November 17, 2012 at 2:20pm   
astraea
olldroo - we really are on the same wavelength! I had pile wall-to-wall in my old house, and liked it. But when I bought my current home, pile was "out" & I thought I'd get a nice clean look with Berber. I have a light beige in the bedroom wing, and a slightly darker golden beige in the basement. It looks nice, but in the winter, it's much nicer walking barefoot on pile! The photo shows the carpet in the bedroom, and a custom "seashore" mirror I had made. Darn .. it cut off the bottom of the photo!
November 17, 2012 at 3:02pm     
I like shag carpet. Brown, black and tan!
November 17, 2012 at 3:04pm   
olldroo
Hi astraea - sorry if I seem to take ages getting back to you. We are 8 hours behind you but a day in front - if that makes sense, it is the only way I can remember when I ring my daughter. We are doing a major renovation of the whole house at the moment too, so I don't get a lot of day time spare to get onto the computer.

Don't panic about the photos, if you put the cursor on it the whole photo comes up. Love, love, love that mirror, what a great idea.

I definitely do like the look of berbers, they always look clean but we are very much bare footed people and yes, the pile is nicer to walk on. Also when the rug rats are here and play on the floor they can get carpet burn from berber. I was also told too, that berbers can rub over time and look worn far more quickly, but I have never actually seen that happen.

This was my absolutely favourite one http://www.cavbrem.com.au/tools/search-products/product-details.aspx?code=240 I just loved every colour in it, they were all beautiful and although the pattern isn't as obvious in a large area, I just felt it wouldn't give me as much flexibility for decorating. The carpet I got is only a new release and the manufacturer had it on a really good special and it was cheaper than most others I looked at. Carpets here are rated on their weight (it used to be something to do with the number of tufts per square inch, but I can't make sense of it now), this one is only about a 39/40 where the one I got is a 50/52. I saved about $100 per lineal metre on it and needed nearly 32 l.mtrs to do the whole house.

Have you made it across to yesterday's and today's posts? I don't know what the girls are on but I don't know when I last laughed so much.

Bob - I love shag in a rug, especially a flokati, but in a carpet, irrespective of colour, it just takes me back to the avocado green/orange/brown of the 70s - I can't lose the image..
November 17, 2012 at 10:34pm   
astraea
In my old house, the MBR had 2 closets with bi-fold doors that I had mirrored. That made it very easy to position the doors, to get a full view of an outfit, front & back. But my new home doesn't have closet doors like that, and a tri-fold screen seemed the only way to accomplish the same thing. I was amazed, once I started looking, that mirrored screens just didn't exist! I even contacted the office of one of the major department stores, getting a lead for the company that did the tri-fold mirrors in their dressing rooms .. wow, was THAT pricey! Then I went to a local mirror & furniture company, that specialized in hand-painted items (done in South America), and I designed a tri-fold screen with mirrored panels, and a beach/sailboat design. It took a long time, and it wasn't inexpensive .. but it's a one-of-a-kind piece. And that's especially true since the company folded, with the economic downturn.

I would tend to agree that Berbers may wear faster, since the carpet is pretty flattened out where my office chair rolls back & forth! I love the colors on that link, and they're similar to mine .. except mine isn't wool (nice, but beyond the budget).

Since I began posting here, I haven't really gotten notices about new material right on the articles, and I'm not sure where "here" is .. or how to get to discussions started on other days! I've been very busy with a volunteer position I took on a few months ago, and we're having a luncheon today, so I haven't taken the time to do any "exploring" here since the hurricane!
November 18, 2012 at 4:57am   
olldroo
I'm sure your would always get your money back on that mirror, not that you would be looking to dispose of it. Afraid I'm not fussed about mirrors, the more I grow the less I see the better - LOL. I had my hair cut the other day and when the hairdresser had finished she said she would get the mirror to show me the back. Told her not to bother as I never saw it but she said she had done such a good job on it, I was damn well going to see it. I must admit the back of my hair has a great kink it it and when it is well cut it falls nicely and only requires a quick comb.

My daughter got new carpet in her living area earlier this year but she only got a synthetic. It was all a new experience for her and not having us to help she got very confused. She got a few quotes but ended up paying pretty much what I paid for wool but we get the New Zealand wool here which is one of the best carpet wools in the world but only having to come across the ditch we don't have the huge shipping costs you would have, plus our $ exchange rate is very favourable. Synthetics here are either ridiculously cheap (and generally nasty) or the decent ones can be more expensive than wool. The main problem I have with synthetics is the static electricity. I can't touch anyone without zapping them.

Volunteering work can be fun and interesting too. I joined a local computer club for seniors and started doing some teaching which I absolutely loved but I found I just couldn't commit to regular times each week, especially once our renovations started. Maybe one day things will quieten down.

You won't get any notification of our new days threads until you comment on them. Look at the tool bar at the top of this and you will see "Discussions". Click on that and on the left comes up a list. Choose "other" and then look for OLLD and the next day's date. Olldbob starts them off each day. Alternatively at the top you can do a search and just type in OLLD and the date, go to the drop down box and click on "discussions" then "search". You will soon get the hang of it.
November 18, 2012 at 5:22am   
Well, late in this convo, but I was so busy poking fun at the blue sofa that I lost my true mission of staying up with OLLD. Roo, sometimes you just have to laugh.

Looked at your rug. Beautiful and 100% wool. Wow! Nothing like wool for wear and tear and gorgeous colors. The one "synthetic" rug I have been using is a Mohawk called Smart Strand. I think I mentioned it before. It is made from corn, of all things; wears like iron; has some lovely colors; and you can pick several different piles. A great product for large families. So, what's next on the decorating front?

astraea, That folding screen is great. From your pix you look as if you don't mind looking at the rear. It kills me. I am fairly athletic and am not overweight, but I have developed the "fat back". Once upon a time I could wear a bikini, now my brand of choice is SPANX and my new favorite, yummietummie. :>( Oh well. Sorry, I do look at the back of my head, just in case I have the bed head thing going on. There is always someone who sits in front of me in church and it makes me chuckle.
November 18, 2012 at 10:05am   
olldroo
Thanks judy, nice to get some positive feedback. Big difference thinking about what you want and actually chosing - especially when big bucks are involved and BH doesn't really have a clue about things. That brand is one of THE top brands here and very well respected but they produce a good range with a sensible range of prices. My old carpet was that brand (chosen when I knew nothing about brands) so it's 45 years of wear speaks for itself. Carpet came down to $66 per sq mtr, if you want to work out comparisons and that includes the underlay and laying. All up it is costing me $6,500 but as I had allowed $10,000 in the budget I am really happy with that. It would have cost another $1,200 to have the layers take up the old carpet and dispose and move all the furniture out and put it back. It wasn't just moving furniture though, it was emptying storage type furniture as well so it was easier to do it ourselves, especially when the lounge is going and hopefully my bedroom furniture if I get time to buy something new. We also had to move a lot of furniture to paint so once out it might as well stay out. I also wanted to give the floors a good scrub and disinfect - after 45 years I felt they could do with a freshen up and the layers only vacuum.

We have been getting rid of the carpet bit at a time by filling our garbage bin with it each week and will dispose of the rest of it at our Council cleanup in January. I was talking to my daughter yesterday and she said that you can't just dispose of carpet over there but she didn't really know why. I wondered if it might be something to do with the synthetic aspect. Do you know anything about it?

Your corn rug sounds interesting, I saw something here recently made from something strange but I can't remember now. I guess we are going to see a lot of innovative ideas as demand for natural resources increases.

What's next you ask? Really doing the 3 rooms at once - MBedroom, lounge and dining and the builder hopefully starts on the main bathroom next week and will have that to paint when he finishes. With doing all the painting, getting the carpet down in those rooms putting everything back, buying new furniture and making all the curtains I think I will happily fall in a heap for Christmas. My eldest daughter plans on coming over for Christmas, last I heard she was planning on arriving Christmas Eve (hitching a ride with Santa maybe - hehehehe) not sure when her hubby will arrive, and she usually stays till the end of January. January's are normally stinking hot and very humid so not good working weather.

The carpet people will leave the rest of the carpet with us so we don't have to pay storage, just have to ring when we want the layers to come. Have some repairs to do in the other 3 bedrooms and then paint them and the hallway before we can do that, will have more curtains to make and have to decide what I am going to do furniture wise in the 3 bedrooms. When all that is finished AND if there is any money left, the kitchen will be completely redone, then I will update the laundry, I need to tile the floor there and put new cupboards and sink in then repaint the kitchen, laundry and family room and then we will lay laminate flooring in the entrance hallway, kitchen and family room.

That's about as far as our plans go, lots to be done outside but that will be 2014........... if I live that long.
November 18, 2012 at 5:33pm   
What a project! You certainly are taking it on. What have you decided with the paint colors? How about the furniture…what's your style? This is so exciting. You must share. Long distance decorating! LLD. (Hope that doesn't stand for anything else :>) ***) And, bobeee, do not make up anything….oh, I know you will.

Another question, roo, what style is your house?
November 19, 2012 at 4:45am   
I think that would be LDD, dear.
November 19, 2012 at 4:54am     
olldroo
judy - don't know how to describe the house it is typical of the 60s here which were mostly single storey ranch style triple fronted brick. We went with a light red brick but instead of a ranch went with an L shape. I have a courtyard in front that fills in the L so can't get a photo of it. My furniture is pretty much simple modern, I like things clean and uncluttered. I will post some photos as I finish each room and when I get my camera working unless I can work out how to download photos from my iPod.

I went to the paint shop today but they couldn't mix a sample pot in the colours I wanted to try for the lounge room so will have to take pot luck but the paint chips are pretty accurate and I took 4 so I could put them all together to get a decent sized sample. I've had it hanging on the wall for 3 days now and really like it. I've run into problems with the dining room though, there just isn't the shade of yellow I wanted. They are either too cream or have green tinge. I will have to go back and go through their big book (I call their Bible) and see if I can find something there. So far I have done the ensuite in a colour called Rice that matched the tiles exactly (even the builder was impressed) and my bedroom is a dirty green/yellow colour that won't photo. I wanted a green but not a pretty green and this one is perfect. The lounge room I wanted blue but I have to go for a green/blue to blend with the lounge. I will have to fiddle with my iPod as I have before and after photos of the ensuite I can post. Disappointed though I didn't take photos 6 months ago as I can't get before photos now with all the upheaval.
November 19, 2012 at 5:42am   
bobeeee, LDD. You got me again.

roo, that rice sounds like a beautiful color. Do you use Ben Moore?
November 19, 2012 at 12:51pm   
olldroo
No Judy, we don't have the same paints as you. I use one of the best brands here called Dulux. It is very good wearing and can be easily washed down but even better all other paint colours can be mixed with it. The Light Rice doesn't come up too well on their website but I finally found a link to the lounge room blue
http://www.dulux.com.au/search/search-results?q=A300

I am only using the quarter shade.
November 19, 2012 at 3:48pm     
Just clicked on. What a great product. Matching shades with just a click. The rice looks beautiful…a purple undertone? You get some of the coordinate colors with Ben Moore, but it that site is not as inspiring as the dulux. Did not get the lounge room pix.

When we read each other's posts, I want to get in a plane to see what everyone is doing.

You girls are all the very best. Thanksgiving drama going on right now. Sniff, sniff.
November 19, 2012 at 4:40pm   
olldroo
No July, the rice has no purple undertone. It is like a cold, creamy white colour. Didn't put up any lounge room pix just a link to the colour.

Had the builder here this morning, we were going to keep our existing bathtub as it is still in good condition and barely gets used these days. Now the bathroom has to be completely gutted he has decided he would rather us buy a new one as it could easily get damaged, so had to dash to the shop to get a new one. Had quite a few on special so only cost $250. Another day no painting done and BH is straining at the leash to get into it so did all the other shopping we could think of and hopefully will have no interruptions tomorrow and will aim for a really big day. Stopped on the way home and got the Antartica Lake paint for the lounge room in the hope we may get one coat on. Also checked out the "Bible" and found a yellow I think will work. Got a sample pot to try. Colour is Seduction - rather appropriate, my cooking needs all the help it can get. .
November 19, 2012 at 8:04pm   
greengirl
For olpoulsom, (sp?)
I love the headboard idea. Could be done with a bunch of rulers and some of the small paint samples.
December 14, 2012 at 11:40pm   
olldroo
Hi greengirl, have you come to join us? We start a new thread every day so come across to our latest thread OLLD 12/15 and tell us about yourself. OLLD stands for old ladies love design, but we like to think we are only old chronologically.
December 15, 2012 at 1:47am     
astraea
Started off the day badly here. Days after a bunch of posts were removed from the "Orange County Ranch" article, a designer posted to the owner that she shouldn't take my comments personally, because she checked my profile & they're all negative! I feel like I'm being stalked! It especially bothers me because there are LOTS of negative comments in that article, and some are directed at the owner's "values" .. but the owner & this other woman just focused on me .. although I stick to commenting about the design!

Am I wrong to think that anyone who allows their design to be featured on the website, needs to have a thick skin, because everyone won't like it? Isn't this supposed to be a DESIGN website, where we can share our opinions .. positive & negative .. about design elements? Houzz isn't like a party at someone's home, where friends all say nice things to their friend about a remodel (or feel obligated to say nice things).
December 15, 2012 at 5:21am   
astraea, copy and paste on today's thread 12/15 and give us the link to this? And you're NOT wrong!
December 15, 2012 at 5:26am   
astraea
This is a link to that article:
. The comment was made by MacKenzie Austin Design .. although it showed up in the e-mail notice as Kristyn something. This was the beginning of her post:

"Catt: I wouldn't take Astraea's comments too personally. Your last comment prompted me to check out her profile, and a large majority of her comments are in fact written with negative connotations. We can't all be glass half full people :)
It's your home and you rightfully take pride in it (I know I would!). While many of us think it isn't right to say such things about someone else's home, others might feel better venting on here, where they don't have to actually meet the person they are offending. .."

ALL the designs here are "someone else's home", but they're here for design purposes, not social ones! If I were at a party, and Catt passed around a photo album of her home renovation project, I probably wouldn't disagree with anything she'd done, because that's not the venue for it.
December 15, 2012 at 5:34am   
astraea, you're right, lots of narsty comments on that thread, someone named angi set them off. I didn't find anything wrong with any of your comments, you spoke your mind and the truth and you did it in a fine way. Some peoples are just too much. Try not to let it get to you, think of these "designers" as part of your fan club the way I did !!! Those comments were NOTHING compared to the ones I got!!!
December 15, 2012 at 5:42am     
astraea
When you make a comment & designate it as private, what does that mean? Since we can't respond to specific posts .. except by putting someone's name on it, the system can't filter them. I made a "private" response today, but then wondered how that could possibly really be private!

I guess something went on yesterday? I really don't think I was on the website .. errands to do!

One of my biggest gripes/wishes, would be that they identify both the cost & time frame for the remodels featured in articles. I commented the other day on an article about bathrooms. One bathroom had to be at least 15' x 20' .. how many average homeowners have that much space, or the money it would take to tile the walls & floors?!
December 15, 2012 at 5:47am   
Switch to 12/15! What went on yesterday was a school shooting in Connecticut, 28 people died, 20 of the children.
December 15, 2012 at 5:49am   
olldroo
Don't remember that article astraea. Sounds a pretty nasty comment for the designer to make, just reading your comments would be a bit biased as they would be totally out of context. There is definitely a lot of angst around about people passing comments on other's comments, it crops up all the time, too much in fact, and there are also plenty around who are just plain rude about other people's homes, they just don't look at the design aspect at all. You can hide your comments if you want so no one else can see them, that would stop anyone checking up on you.

My personal opinon is that if I just plain don't like something, I pass on it and move on. If I see something where I am concerned about safety aspects I definitely speak out, if I can see a better way, in my opinion, to do something then I make the suggestion. I always try to avoid a plain "I don't like" as much as I avoid a "Like", I don't think either are very constructive comments. Even if I like a total package I try to single out one thing that particularly impresses me and why, I just feel everything should be constructive and, hopefully, helpful to others.

I actually did put a comment on one article, can't remember which one now or how it came about, but someone said something about putting people down because of how they dressed and went on about doing the same to their home and I said that if someone came up to me in the street and said they didn't like my outfit, I would be interested to know why, what were they seeing that the mirror wasn't telling me and by the same token were my home to be on this website then I would be interested to hear other people's ideas of how I might be able to improve something but the most important thing was that any criticism was constructive and politely put.

Quite frankly, astraea, I have been following you for a long time now, you caught my eye early on as I felt we were on the same wavelength, I was impressed by your career background, your approach to things and intelligence and I have never seen anything nasty from you, it is all very down to earth and relevant. That was why I invited you to join us here, I felt you would enjoy our chat. Try to put it out of your mind, rise above it. Bobbi gets it a lot too and it upsets her. This thread is good in that we can console and support each other at these times.
December 15, 2012 at 5:49am   
roo, I remember that comment you made, I thought it was interesting!
December 15, 2012 at 5:53am   
astraea
Yes, I definitely watched the news from Connecticut yesterday .. I thought you meant that something happened in a Houzz discussion. In a way, some of the nasty comments here may be part of the same societal issue leading to the CT event. People (young & old) don't have good role models, and aren't being given the life skills needed to deal with "unpleasant" situations in their lives. If someone disagrees with an opinion they have, they think it's OK to make a personal attack. Young people get a bad grade or don't feel popular, and either kill themselves or the people they perceive as being popular or not liking them.
December 15, 2012 at 5:56am     
astraea
I came to Houzz when a bathroom designer mentioned the website .. this might be the best thing I got from the designer (LOL)! I guess I'm an engineer by personality, as well as education .. very practical; "form follows function". The house I bought has one of those massive corner whirlpool tubs .. big, impressive, pretty .. and very impractical! I'd never put something like that in the other bathroom, no matter how trendy it might be. I guess that designer didn't see my comments in the article about kitchen storage .. I love useful stuff like that!!
December 15, 2012 at 6:00am   
You don't want to be in December? You can't avoid it, you know :))
December 15, 2012 at 6:07am     
@astraea, what do you mean by a "private comment" or "designate a comment as private"? I'm not sure I understand your question as this isn't an option on Houzz. All comments are public insofar as they appear on the discussion thread for everyone to see. The privacy settings in the "edit your profile" section of your personal Houzz page include a box to allow followers or not. If you don't allow followers then your comments do not appear in people's "Feed" section when they have joined a discussion thread (i.e. nobody is notified that you've made a comment), and no one can track your history of previous comments because the "Recent Activity" section of your Houzz profile page can only be seen by you, but your comments still appear publicly on discussion threads. Does that answer your question?
December 15, 2012 at 6:08am   
You can do a private comment if you're saving a pic to your ideabook, I do it all the time, but not if your adding a comment to a discussion. Why are we stuck in November. I don't want two birthdays in the same year.
December 15, 2012 at 6:14am   
astraea
If you comment on an article, below the entry box, there's a little check box & next to it "make comment private". I guess I could change my profile, but I don't like being intimidated into "going underground", because of a few people who think they run the place.
December 15, 2012 at 6:18am   
Oh, maybe on an ideabook!
December 15, 2012 at 6:20am   
michigammemom
Calling all ollds, the new 12/15 thread is open for business!
December 15, 2012 at 6:20am   
astraea
Getting back to design issues, I can't believe how hard it is to get referals for any sort of tradespeople around here! It's an affluent area & people are always redoing bathrooms & kitchens .. but maybe no one I know personally (LOL)! The recommendation for the deck came from the woman sitting next to me at the salon, getting a pedicure .. she stages houses, and I was very impressed with the contractor she recommended. Maybe I should try to coordinate my appointments with hers more often!
December 15, 2012 at 6:20am   
Thank you MM!
December 15, 2012 at 6:21am   
I see--you are talking about the comments in the article/ideabooks, not the discussion forums. Good question. I have to assume it means only the ideabook author can see your comment, rather than all the world, But I'm just guessing. And, yes, comments in your own ideabooks can be marked as private.
December 15, 2012 at 6:21am   
I'm losin' it here. Can you see me or am I invisible again?
December 15, 2012 at 6:29am     
olldroo
Astraea, I haven't worked out that private. Just checked out that article, I do remember that house now but only read very early comments. Anyway I have just had my say, I am really livid at the response you got from the tech ...... dare I say guy? Made me feel like we are all a bunch of brainless housewives with nothing else to do.
December 15, 2012 at 6:38am   
olldroo
OK EVERYONE OVER TO 12/15, BEFORE BOBBI LOSES IT. Actually it is still yesterday for me!!! Heeheehee.
December 15, 2012 at 6:47am     
Yesterday, but not last month!!! Thanks, roo!
December 15, 2012 at 6:49am   
olldroo
Well you don't want a second birthday, but it gives me another month till mine.
December 15, 2012 at 6:57am   
Do tell! When is your birthday????
December 15, 2012 at 6:59am   
OLLD 11/15
Howdy all, what is on the agendas.
OLLD11/11/13
HAPPY VETERANS DAY Are there any veterans out there....
OLLD 11/11
Good morning and happy Veterans Day! I was thinking....you...
11x15 bathroom
Need to configure need shower bathtub closet and double...
Horizontal vs. vertical stair rails?
Hey everyone! So my husband and I are about to buy...
Need help in picking colors and tile
Hi, We are doing the tile and painting the house. Does...
Master bedroom lacks balance!
Hello! I have a long size bed and night tables that...
Need Help Designing our Main room in New Apartment in Zurich!
The Main room of our apartment needs help! Right now...
Tanning Lotion
Looking for at home self tanning products? Click here...