We wanted to make a family room/dining are in this space, but perhaps it's too small?

hanekawaNovember 15, 2012
Hi. Our home is a raised bungalo and we have a family room downstairs, but we are going to use the lower space as a separate guest area and live on the upper floor, where there is a kitchen, a master bedroom and en suite, a powder room, an office....and the space you see in this photo. We originally thought we'd put a small round dinning table in the bay window area and a small hutch against the wall which is between the picture window and the bay window. (BTW, we are planning to change out the stair rail for a half wall...and possibly put two sliding pannels of "shoji" above it, so that we can close the room off from the foyer and be warmer in winter.) We planned to put a T.V. and console against the wall which separates the living room from the kitchen (wall on the far right) and some sort of seating in front of it....problem is, the room would be too crowded!! Another idea is to put the hutch against the wall separating the kitchen from this room, the T.V., with the small round table in front of it, and the console against the wall between the picture window and bay windown and arrange seating along the stair rail and opposite side of the bay window to the T.V. ....which would be a little less crowded but still crowded. Finally, we could just stick the hutch and table in the kitchen and just use the space in the photo as a T.V. watching and entertaining space and put one long sectional in the room and the T.V. against the wall between the kitchen and this room ...or where would be best?...and would a sectional or other furniture be best for maximum seating/comfort but not acrowded feeling? Soooo those are all the things we thought of. What do you think would work best?
It would help us greatly to have a sketch of the room with dimensions and doors and windows marked. Many thanks.
    Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 6:50AM
vineyardflute
Room dimensions would be a help in making suggestions,and knowing the size of family. This effects how much seating is needed, but to start... less is more. Stay away from too many or bulky pieces. You can fill in any "gaps" with plants, tall decorative items like vases or floor lamps. To make two areas I would put a small table on the long wall flanked with 2 chairs. t.v. would go to the right of the windows with the couch and a chair against the rail. The chair could be angled towards the window, creating the look of a new area. An additional floor rug would add to the effect.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 7:00AM
hanekawa
Unfortunately, I'm not able to measure the room now, as I am in a diffferent country at present!...I did take some measurements a while back (hope they are accurate!)

1) The width of the room, measured at the front of the room (the left side in this photo...where the bay windows are) is about 12 feet.

2) The length of the room is about 18 feet.

3)The picture window (to the right of the wall next to the bay window, in the phtograph) is 6 feet long.

4) The distance between the picture windown and the wall that separates this space from the kitchen is only 20.9 in.

5) The distance from the floor to the bottom of the picture window is 31.1 inches

6) The bannister length (the bannister which is on one side of the and where we will renovate and put a half wall) is114.4 inches long.

7) The wall between the bay window and the picture window is also about 6 feet long.

Also, I'm adding a photo of how this room looked when we bought the house (with the previous owner's furniture.) It gives you an idea of the scale of the room.

Thanks so much for your helpful suggestions!!!
    Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 8:07AM
hanekawa
Also, we are empty nesters and there are just the two of us...and if we have the extended family over, we can all go downstairs to the family room there...but we do have another couple (good friends) over quite often....as well as out neice and her three children....so it would be nice to have comfortable seating for four adults....and some way we can accomodate the three youngsters as well upstairs when they are visiting (they are still a bit too small to allow them to go downstairs and "supervise" themselves, while we are all upstairs cooking and such in the kitchen,) though cushions on the floor, or someone's lap seem to work for them.
    Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 8:13AM
OUR family room feels like a lobby! How do we make it more friendly??
We have a dilemma. We're in the process of buying...
amber1960
How could we best configure our family room?
We've been living here for 15-1/2 years and must move...
bizzymama109
How do I make my family room more cozy?
Our space is 28' by 14'. The off-white couches must...
nasafemme
nixx22
Need ideas to make living room into family home office/study
Looking for ideas for how to turn what's intended to...
mtspiegel
what color paint??
We have recently redone our kitchen and are stuck on...
Angela Leners
House Colours! Help!
We have a stunning 1850s Greek a revival, here in New...
aazuline
HELP! I fell in love with granite I can't afford...
I had no idea as I went shopping for granite that no...
glovely
Help me finish my family room
Hello houzzers! I need your help to finish my family...
drymades
Curb Appeal for 1966 Colonial Revival Ranch
Please help! I need exterior design ideas! I've completely...
Jennifer Scheffel