chair rail height on the shower wall
hchakiz
I am going to remodel shower room using white subway tile(3 x 6) all the way up to the ceiling (8feet high). As an accent, I 'd like to use chair rail liner (2 x 6) and bead liner ( 1x 6) together. Could you recommend where is the best height for the chair rail for the shower room? The shower room size is 4' x 6'. I'll put stand-alone shower and some small shampoo niche. Thank you.
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi hchakiz

I generally prefer it around 1/3 to 2/5ths the way up the wall. I don't use 1/2 way very often as it can make the wall look shorter sometimes. Other factors that also affect the overall height are the size of the tile, the visual "weight" of the tile, and how it ties into adjacent areas such as a pony wall or shower valve etc. If you create (or ideally have a great designer create) a scaled elevation CAD/sketch of the wall, it will not only help you see which visual is best, but its very necessary for your tile installer, plumber, framer, etc to do the job well. (All of those also affect the tile layout)

Here are some nice examples from Houzz which have used the proportion less than half way.
~Steve
Romantic Bath
View of Master Bath
   November 15, 2012 at 7:05PM
HI -- You mean an accent line don't you - not a chair rail ? Either at 36 inches or at the 5 foot mark .
   November 15, 2012 at 8:55PM
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi Lefty47 - either one could work, the photos I posted show a tile chair rail, although its actually not used to protect the wall from chairs of course ... ;o)
   November 15, 2012 at 8:59PM
hchakiz
Thank you for your insight, BeauifulRemodel and lefty 47. I like this style, Mt. Baker. I'll use Ceramic Basics - Caliper - Ann Sacks Tile & Stone. In this case, I am just wondering 36 inches is too low? Thank you.
   November 16, 2012 at 1:46AM
BeautifulRemodel.com
The photo on the left looks closer to 42" to me, based on the vanity height and overall scale compared to the ceiling which looks like 8ft. (36" would probably be close to the vanity height in this photo)

Is there a reason why you need it to be 36"? Are you trying to align it with something specific?

~ Steve
   November 16, 2012 at 4:52AM
New apartment: what to do, what to do!
I have a new apartment and love all my furniture. What...
Cabin kitchen gut job
Hi all! We will soon be undertaking a complete kitchen...
Sectional or Two Sofas
I am so torn on whether to purchase a sectional or...
soapstone care
My counter fabricator says he seals soapstone with...
Bath tub
We bought a double wide mobile home and the garden...