Advice needed for first-time homeowner's living room...
jerbee02
Hi all, I just bought my first house and am not used to having so much room! I've brought some of my furniture from my old apartment along with me, but I don't have a "decorating eye" - at all... your advice, input, and suggestions would be very welcome. I'm operating on a semi-limited budget; I saved up around $1,000 to use for the whole house, so I'm not trying to blow it all on one room... though since the living room is the most visible, it'll get the lion's share. I'm a 29 year old professional, male, if that helps with recommendations...

The two end tables pushed together in the middle are temporary - I still have an actual table in storage (that looks almost identical in style to the two being used as a makeshift one). I also have a love seat that matches the sofa that I'm unsure about where to place...

I'm not sure about the floating shelves, what to put on them (if they stay), etc. I think a green plant of some sort under the "\" arch might bring a little color to the room... I'm definitely going to need an area rug but don't know what pattern, colors, material, etc to use... Also, an artist friend of mine offered to create an over-sized abstract painting to mount above the couch, so that spot will have color in it too... :)

Thanks in advance!!
Cancork Floor Inc.
Ok, you DEFINATELY need a big, comfy CHAIR! And a foot stool (ottoman by any other name). A guy's house with out a chair just isn't right! You can go with a complimentary color to the sofa (a brown or beige - with a pattern or a textured material). You have lots of space to work with here so choose something you think you would like to hang out in. A big sofa sized ottoman can act like a coffee table as well as a foot rest. And the coup des grace - a big, strong patterned (think block pattern in browns/beige or even a brick red) area rug. If you can only afford 2 of the 3, then go with the chair and the rug! The ottoman can always come later.
November 15, 2012 at 5:03PM     
Oh my, it's a beautiful room with so much space, but $1000 won't go far. Two suggestions then: First, hit thrift stores and flea markets looking for quality pieces--especially case goods like tables and credenzas--that you can refinish or paint. Second, Ikea is your friend.

November 15, 2012 at 5:22PM     
No, the shelves aren't doing anything for the room. Start looking for a credenza for under the TV and a tall piece to balance the doors.
November 15, 2012 at 5:31PM   
Merry Powell Interiors
Congratulations on your new home! You have received some good advice already...a BIG rug and a comfy chair will add a lot of warmth to your living room and will also buffer the echo I'm sure you have now. But don't buy used rugs and upholstery. You never know what is living in those fibers! Groveraxle is right, used case goods can save you some money. I would also urge you to buy the best quality you can afford. Don't blow your hard earned money on a lot of cheap things that will wear out quickly. Take it slow. Buy good things and let your home evolve. Remember: Good is never cheap, and cheap is never good. You will never regret buying something of quality. I wish you many years of happiness in your lovely home.
November 15, 2012 at 5:36PM   
Warner Decor
Wow! Lovely room! Yes, I agree that you need an area rug. here are a few options for you that are fairly neutral :
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/7/orbit-area-rug/
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/7/calm-area-rug/
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/7/gyro-area-rug/

Good luck!
February 14, 2014 at 8:07AM   
CDR Design
Lovely home!

I would need more photos from different angles to make a recommendation. I wonder if the tv is in the best spot.

I don't know what you mean about a plant under an arch?
February 14, 2014 at 8:16AM   
Living Room ideas for first-time home owner w/ good space to work with
Just bought our first house and we are basically starting...
First-time homeowners, where do we begin?!
I guess we are modern, traditional...I don't really...
First time homeowner! In need of color scheme for family room.
We just moved into our new house in Washington Michigan...
Knobs vs handles for kitchen cabinets
Thought about handles for horizontal (drawers, pull...
What do you think of folding screens in the living room?
What do you think of using folding screens in the living...
Help picking shade of gray to incorporate retro green sofa.
I need help picking the right shade of gray to go with...
Kitchen island - does it have to match?
Hi We just purchased our first home and are super excited...
Under cabinet hood or range hood ??
Please guide me what will be best option to put hood...