OLLD 11/16
November 16, 2012 in Other
Good morning all! And Happy Friday, no small thing!

I found this rug on Houzz yesterday, isn't he cute? [houzz=Cradle Leopard Prowl Dark Gray Rug]
creeser
Good morning! He is cute! I need a new rug for my living room. My old one is too small for the room. If hubby isn't working tomorrow, I may try to get him to go to the store I recommended to mp for the carved doors. They have fantastic prices on rugs there.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 3:29AM
Good deal! Post a pic for us on your choice!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 3:32AM
Check this dilemma out? It makes no sense to me, I see a range hood but to my olld eyes it looks like the cooktop is off to the far right? Am I crazy? http://www.houzz.com/discussions/247025/Wall-Tiles-matching
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 3:48AM
olldroo
No, bob, if you enlarge the second photo and look really closely the pots are on a cooktop, it is white and there are black what looks like gasrings.. The black whatever that looks more like cooktop actually has a pot upside down on it. Don't think I would comment on that one, the tiles look awful, a week in that house and I would be tearing them down with my bare hands.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 4:02AM
olldroo, there are too many things in that kitchen that don't make sense. Look at the placement of the sink, why so far left? Dishrack no where near the sink or dishwasher and hanging so low! I wonder it this isn't a student looking for advice.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 4:06AM
olldroo
I don't even see a dishrack. Do you think there are two sinks? There is the horse trough on the end and it looks like there could be a smaller one down further. The fact there are the two mats there suggests two sinks. Don't get what you mean about what is hanging so low.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 4:12AM
Dishrack, not as in draining wet dishes, but storage. To the left of the "cooktop".
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 4:14AM
olldroo
LOL lingo problems again!! Yes it does look odd and there seems to be wasted space under the dishes - not many dishes either, seems a fruitless exercise.

Oh God, those tiles are getting to me every time I look at the photos and why on earth would you tile all the way to the ceiling like that in a kitchen. Imagine the gunk buildup they would get - I certainly wouldn't be getting up there to clean them. What do you think is this side of the fridge too, that looks a little weird.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 4:19AM
Eeew....gunk! This side of the fridge, I can't imagine! Trash compactor? Wine fridge?

Like I said, there's too many things that don't add up. I think this is a student project looking for critique before they turn it in to their teacher. Definelty don't think it's from a serious cook!
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 4:23AM
olldroo
Looks like a real kitchen though with the window reflections. The cupboard surfaces are very reflective, I would feel I would need sunnies. Actually I think the tiled wall comes around on the fridge side to. Definitely can't handle those feature tiles, look a bit 70s to me. Shall we stir her up???
2 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 4:30AM
Yeah, there's actually a bunch of comments there already! I think it's a CAD kitchen (computer aided design) and a good program at that.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 4:34AM
olldroo
Hang on, go into her profile, looks like she has set herself up as a designer - and then pick our brains. Too funny. She is on her own.
2 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 4:35AM
creeser
Ladies, be nice. Remember it's no fun when someone isn't nice!
2 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 5:04AM
olldroo
Trying, trying .................
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 5:06AM
I wasn't trying to be mean! I'm being sincere in asking these questions. The kitchen doesn't make sense to me and I'm just asking for someone else's opinion on it. I never meant my questions to be rude or insensitive (sp?). It started out with the range hood not being over the cooktop, but I wasn't sure if it was my eyes or if it was real. Then it just snowballed. Dang!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 5:29AM
olldroo
Seems I'm the "snarky" one, but honestly I just don't get the whole thing if she is a designer as her profile suggests. She hasn't replied to any comments but it is probably around the middle of the night there.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 5:38AM
No, I don't think you're snarky, I think you're being sincere same as me. It really doesn't make sense and we're trying to help.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 5:40AM
olldroo
Well, the thing is too, bob, that if it is a computer design then you can make all sorts of suggestions to improve it but if it is an actual kitchen then obviously you can't start rearranging things. She is only asking about tiles but if she is a student then any feedback should be of assistance to her.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 5:45AM
Good point!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 5:46AM
"eau de pine" I love it! Pray tell, where do you store an 18 ft Christmas tree???
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 5:49AM
olldroo
michi - how on earth do you get to the top of it to decorate? Here's me having problems with a 9ft ceiling to paint. Seems really strange you talking about the smell of the trees, would be ineffective here when we have all our doors and windows open to the fresh air. A lot of people do have real trees but they wilt in the heat pretty quickly.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 5:55AM
I cannot wrap my mind around celebrating Christmas in the heat! Where can you take your sleigh rides???
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 6:00AM
olldroo
olldbob - um in the pool??? I guess the thing is we don't know any better. At least it is easy not to overeat, but can't say the same for the liquid aspect, in fact the heat encourages that.

Michi - great thinking, only a woman could multiskill like that.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 6:20AM
Does anyone have any ideas for a low fat, low carb, low sugar breakfast? Nothing I have to cook or blend? Besides air? hehehe I've been eating bagels but they make me lethargic, no energy. Can't do artificial sweeterners or oatmeal or any kind of cereal. OH, and cheap would be great too!
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 7:11AM
olldroo
Processed cereals are out as they are usually laden with sugar. I've read it is good to start the day with a warm lemon juice (not hot) with honey. A warm liquid is supposed to be good for cleansing the body. Asians are very big on just warm water first thing in the morning and their diets are usually pretty good. I don't know if it is good to go low everything for breakfast, you need something for the body to get going on, just don't go overboard of course. I have oats, which I just microwave so no real cooking, with sunflower kernels, a dash of honey and chopped banana. Fills me up and keeps me going. Are you trying to diet??
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 7:23AM
Oh, no, I'm not trying to diet, not til AFTER the holidays! I'm diabetic so I have to watch my carbs (or at least I'm SUPPOSED to watch my carbs) and cereals and oatmeal and such are high carb. Allergic to bananas which make smoothies not so smooth. I do drink a lot of warm liquids, cleverly disguised as coffee, half decaf.

I guess what I'm looking for is a high protein breakfast I don' t have to cook, something other than just cheese! I'm already too cheesy! hehehe
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 7:33AM
michigammemom
olldbob here's another idea for displaying a nutcracker collection. The intertwined red ribbon is so effective and simple.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 7:39AM
I love that michigammemom! And heaven knows I have p-l-e-n-t-y of red ribbon! Thanks, I might just give that a shot!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 7:41AM
olldroo
Sorry to hear that, bob, makes life difficult. I get confused with diabetic diets, hear so many versions. Have you searched online for ideas or do you know any diabetic support group near you that may offer suggestions. I must get to bed but will check out some things tomorrow for you.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 7:42AM
Thanks olldroo, you sleep tight and I'll check online!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 7:44AM
creeser
Ok.. my best friend is diabetic and I asked her what she ate for breakfast. Told her someone else with diabetes was asking for suggestions. I'll just retype what she texted me:
"I have low carb flatbread and put 2 tbsp of peanute butter on it and drink 8 oz of milk, or a couple of pieces of bacon and a couple of poached eggs. Most carbs in the morning, fewer at lunch, etc. As long as she keeps her carb count around or under 100 to 120 she should be ok as long as she keeps up her protein and fiber count. 60 grams of protein and 20 grams of fiber if she's over 50."
Btw.. she doesn't take medicine for her diabetes. She keeps it under control strictly with diet.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 8:24AM
The low carb flatbread is interesting, and I love peanut butter, that just might work! Hate milk, hate eggs, love bacon! Oooh! A bacon and peanut butter sandwich! I love that! Thank you creeser!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 8:29AM
creeser
You're welcome Bobbi. She uses Ezekial bread, btw. It's not great, but smeared with peanut butter, it makes it much more tastey. *L* She did say bagels were very high in carbs, so not a good choice. Probably why they made you so sleepy.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 8:57AM
creeser
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 8:57AM
English muffins are a good way around the carb thing.

I think we wound up on 11/15 because we were notified about a new friend and never came back here.

On that dilemma, the poster is from Malaysia. Very cute, but why did she decide to name her business Cucina? Looked kitchen up on the translator and "dapur" is kitchen in Malay.
I think this rug would be great for the bathroom. In my rush to get there (OLLD) I usually do something like this anyway.
2 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 1:47PM
I love that rug too! It's in one of my ideabooks. You hopskotch to the bathroom? That's funny!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 1:59PM
creeser
Love the hopscotch rug!
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 2:03PM
Well, I'm in such a rush that I probably look like I am hopscotching or doing the Lindy.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 2:04PM
mpoulsom
love the hopscotch rug too! i don't hopscotch though...i run full speed ahead! and then jump up and down! lol! and pray that i don't laugh, sneeze or cough along the way!
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 2:19PM
Then, mpoulsom, you need this rug!

1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 2:23PM
mpoulsom
bob, my ex-thing was/is diabetic.....this may be too high in carbs or natural sugars not sure...BUT, a quick easy treat in the morning would be to slice some apples and throw some butter, cinnamon, and SOME artificial sweetner (if you even need that) and put it in a bowl in the micro and cook them. Kinda like apple pie with out the crust. Or since you said you like peanut butter, smear a lil pb on some apple slices.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 2:27PM
mpoulsom
well judyg, then i would need those rubber boots that are in the picture as well! HA!
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 2:28PM
mpoulsom
just to keep everyone up to date...i think i gave my honey a massive headache talking about all the ideas for the headboard. his brain can't handle too many things at once. And of course, because my brain goes all over the place at 90 miles a second, I came up with other ideas as well, after brainstorming with you gals yesterday. He's younger than me, but I may send him to an early grave. I am off tomorrow and sunday, so I'll be doing some work in the next 2 days at home! I'm excited!!! :)
2 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 2:34PM
Thanks Mendi, I'll give the apples a try!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 3:00PM
mpoulsom
One thing I'm "planning" on doing is the reclaimed wood strips on the fireplace. I found that headboard idea on etsy yesterday and loved it, but now I want to do it on the fireplace, but not in the funky colors, but just different colors of natural wood. So that it will have that stacked stone look somewhat, but out of wood. And I think it will be cool and not ordinary.
I actually found a headboard that may work and that I can do something to it that will be artsy. The man was kind of looking at me like I had lost my marbles, but he always does. And then loves it after it's done! never fails!
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 3:05PM
mpoulsom
so have you solved anyone else's problems today in the design world??? See any cool homes? I've kind of been too busy today to check things out til now.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 3:09PM
mpoulsom
judyg, i looked at one post and the dresser from CB2 that you recommended has always been a favorite of mine...i love that thing! I get their catalogs and actually got J to make me a floating shelf they have, but he looked at the dresser that I wanted him to re-create and he laughed at me! But I do love it!
will my olldguys be here this weekend? I would like to get some feedback from you about the bedroom if I have time to take pics.
1 Like   November 16, 2012 at 3:46PM
mp, this one?Latitude Grellow Low Dresser CB2 What about pairing the dresser with a decal and you can work your magic?
Nessa Headboard
I'm here.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 6:48PM
olldroo
hey olldbob - did you notice our critic has deleted her comments?
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 7:38PM
olldroo
Hey, I'm hoping mrsben might come and play, she sounds a lot of fun.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 8:08PM
Sterling Rugs
we manufacture and ship rugs worldwide.
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 11:13PM
olldroo
Nice rugs Sterling, do you use NZ wool in all your rugs?
0 Likes   November 16, 2012 at 11:24PM
olldroo - I wonder if our critic deleted, or Emily deleted?
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 1:59AM
olldroo
Would she? Have to keep a watch out for other nasties and see if their comment disappears. Sort of makes our replies a bit odd but I don't care.
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 2:07AM
olldroo
Olldbob, just checked the 11/14 thread and the nasties have gone from there too, except for one. Maybe she does delete.
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 2:13AM
creeser
The nasty may have deleted all of her identities and it's possible if you delete your account, your posts are deleted as well.
1 Like   November 17, 2012 at 3:55AM
creeser
mp, I would love to see photos of your bedroom! I'm still trying to get mine 'right". It's only half there. Seeing yours may inspire.
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 3:57AM
olldroo
creeser, one good thing about old age is you learn what is really important in life and what to ignore. To me to delete my account would only be giving credit to their behaviour and it just isn't worth it. If I am going to be ashamed about something I say then I don't say it.

Love to see mp's photos too. You make me wonder, I think I might be trying to achieve too much too quickly with my home, so many things do take time to put together. I think I'm under a lot of pressure from people who want to see the finished product and I really want to present the total package but that just can take so long. Probably comes from the fact that I have never felt my home was finished, it was always time or money and this really is my big goal now to be totally finished.

Right now I am trying to choose between 6 blues for my loungeroom. Trying to narrow it down to 3 so I can get some sample pots. Wish colours reproduced online.
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 4:33AM
michigammemom
olldroo, do you celebrate a holiday equivalent to our American Thanksgiving tradition?
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 5:32AM
creeser
olldroo, I didn't mean for us to delete our accounts. I think it's my wording that was misleading. What I meant is that I think they deleted their made up accounts and when they did, it might have deleted their posts as well. Please remember I hadn't finished my first morning coffee when I typed that. *L*

You may be right about taking on too many projects. What you said about feeling your house has never been finished is how I felt about our old house. It is very overwhelming to think of doing the whole house. You get stuck on the small things for whatever reason.

Be sure to take your blues out in natural light. It makes a difference. I found the loveliest shade of pale blue for our master bathroom. Even my mother liked it. It was Sherwin Williams Copen Blue.
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 6:46AM
I'm going to open OLLD 11/17 now! Please please please, can we drop all the talk about my fan club FOREVER???
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 6:48AM
Hey, olldbob, you are the only one important enough to have a fan club. hehehe.
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 9:42AM
creeser
*pinching judyg* Shhhh... she said for us to drop it. But you're right... she does have her own groupies. Wanna be a bobbi groupie??? *snicker*
1 Like   November 17, 2012 at 9:51AM
At our age we can only be a "bobbi droopy". JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF. I'LL STOP!
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 9:58AM
You bunch of twits! I guess a bobbi droopy is better than a booby droopy!
1 Like   November 17, 2012 at 10:17AM
bobeeeeeee, you said it, not I.
1 Like   November 17, 2012 at 10:26AM
creeser
*LMBO* Y'all are so wrong on so many levels!
2 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 10:31AM
olldroo
Trying to catch up with y'all but still crack up every time I read through this.

Bob - pity you can't eat bananas. Reading the breakfast ideas, two of my favourites are peanut butter and banana sandwiches and bacon, banana and cheese melts - although I have that for lunch. Wonder if your peanut butter is like our? Must ask D.

Michi - no we don't do Thanksgiving or anything like it. Makes us sound an ungrateful bunch, doesn't it. But I guess when our first settlers were convicts they didn't have much to be grateful for where your Pilgrims came by choice. I notice though Norfolk Island which is under Aust. Government does have it at the end of November too - they like to be different.

We celebrate New Year's Day of course then Australia Day on 26th January marking the arrival of the First Fleet, then we have the 4 days of Easter, Anzac Day on 25th April which includes remembering all wars, Queen's birthday on 2nd Monday in June, even though Liz's birthday is in April. I think that is a standard day that has applied to all previous monarchy, I can't remember back to when Liz's father was king. Then we have Labour Day on 1st Monday in October - no idea what that is all about, I think it is to placate the Unions, and nothing then to Christmas, when we have Christmas Day and Boxing Day on the 26th December. Boxing Day is an English tradition that they brought out here.

creeser - I couldn't work out Sherwin Williams' website to find the blue you mention, not that we can get SW paint anyway. This is one colour I'm looking at http://www.dulux.com.au/colour/colour-wall I'm not sure where that will take you but if you find the Colour Wall link, then click on greens and there are side and bottom arrows. You have to go down and across to the end each way and you will find a colour called Antartica Lake. I am looking at the quarter shade, I only want pale. It has reproduced very well.
0 Likes   November 17, 2012 at 11:27PM
Sterling Rugs
olldroo , we use 100 % Pure NZ rugs in most of our rugs . Also , the type of wool may vary according to the demand of our clientele, lets say , european , blended , sardinian , standard and argentinian..
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 1:19AM
Interesting. I didn't realize there was a "type" of wool. Do you mean the animal?
1 Like   November 18, 2012 at 10:08AM
Sterling Rugs
judyg - We use different kinds (types) of wool in the market. some prefer NZ while others go in for short or long staple fibres, as per their taste. In the above 'animal rug' , we certainly cannot guess from the image whether the wool used is NZ or standard or lets say blended. However , cost varies accordingly with 100 % NZ lustrous wool being more expensive than the rest. You will be amazed that even in NZ there are different qualities of fibres, so lets leave it till that > its vast. you will go crazy getting into the details.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 12:01AM
Thanks S.R. I can see TMI for me. If I were to go to the local store, looking for wool, I guess I woould be influenced by the brand, as I never knew about all the types of well, So Karastan would come to mind first. Good?
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 12:57PM
Sterling Rugs
OMG , 'brand frenzy' or 'brandisation' is what i would call a disease most people suffer from.. karastan , nouri , safavieh , feizy etc... are no doubt mega names when it comes to rugs. but you see judy , nowadays people are so blinded by the 'brand conscious' bug that they would walk to a high end rug showroom and pay 5 to 10 times the price for a rug, which costs way way less. Yes its a super high margin. even a local retailer (not carrying big names) anywhere in America would give you the same rug in your desired wool, at a more reasonable rate. Karastan is a good bet , more variety. At the end of the day you should know you haven't been fooled.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 11:12PM
Thank you for the education. One more question, if you don't mind. In my living room I have a Tibetan…very pretty soft warm neutral with what looks like silk thread used to make the swirl pattern. Just a tone on tone. Did I make a good choice? :>). You are very patient.

Roo, sounds as if bought a very good product.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 7:26AM
A real Tibetan? Does he help with the housework or at least clean up after himself? Was the altitude an adjustment for him? hehehehe
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 8:40AM
creeser
How did you get him in the country? Is he expensive to keep? hehehe
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 10:35AM
You guys…you are so cute. I have C P to do all that and he is really CHEAP!
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 10:43AM
creeser
I'll bite. How cheap is he? *snicker*
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 10:44AM
He "may be cheap, but he's not free"!

Here's my rug http://www.tufenkiancarpets.com/collections/938-shifting-sands-beige.html
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 10:47AM
creeser
Those good looks are high maintenance, huh? *L*
I like your rug.
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 10:51AM
OH, yeah, nice Tibetan!
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 1:02PM
olldroo
Ooooooh, nice rug Judy, didn't expect anything like that. I'm afraid you and Sterling have totally lost me with your rug talk. Never heard of any of it, expect the NZ wool that our good wool carpets are made from - actually, think it is used in all wool carpets here.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 12:20AM
Sterling Rugs
LOL.. im loving every bit of your conversations judyg. I'm always there for free advice.Be sure whether the thread / fibre is ' 100% pure silk' , ' art silk ' or 'bamboo silk '. The wavy 'meander' pattern looks good though, but a manufacturer can only comment on the quality upon examining the physical sample.

olldroo - no more monotony with our rug talks.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 1:45AM
olldroo
OMG Sterling, I'm still trying to make sense of your wools, now you hit us with 3 different types of silk!!!!
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 2:55AM
Well, I can tell you this, I am never going to buy another rug without first consulting with Sterling Rug, although India is a bit of a jaunt to pick up a rug :>)
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 8:58AM
olldroo
Not to mention excess baggage!!!!
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 6:07PM
Sterling Rugs
Visit Incredible India. one billion people can't be wrong.
olldroo- Be our guest. we'd love to have to have u here.
Well, just go in for what feels good on your feet and eyes , irrespective of the so called confusion which I have created regarding silk and wool. sorry guys , but that's the way it is.
For other enquiries , I'm always available.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 11:33PM
olldroo
Don't know about that Sterling, my stomach doesn't take too kindly to curries My niece just came back after two weeks and spent the entire time on the loo.

I'm just impressed by all the wool choice, I will have to find some time to sit down and work them all out.
0 Likes   November 22, 2012 at 12:15AM
Sterling Rugs
lol. i bet her life would be more spicy now..

Ahh ! don't worry about the choices. consider us if you feel stuck !
2 Likes   November 22, 2012 at 1:52AM
OLLD11/11/13
HAPPY VETERANS DAY Are there any veterans out there....
OLLD 11/11
Good morning and happy Veterans Day! I was thinking....you...
Moving and want to take bedroom chandelier.
We are moving and want to take our bedroom chandelier...
casing, trim and baseboards
What kind if any gloss to use with white trim and baseboards?...
Need help with my ugly house!
We need help with our ugly house! We are planning new...
Would you hire a designer with crazy colorful hair?
Hi there! So, this may be a strange one! I'm fresh...
Need advice for wood beams
I tried to clean my wood beams with orange oil and...