Colour scheme for small apartment. HELP PLEASE!
ckarageorgis
Hi everyone

I was wondering if somebody could help me with what colour scheme to use for my apartment and any design / furniture tips you might have.

In particular I'm considering whether to use a flip-down dining table similar to the attached photo to save space and put it on the far right near the kitchen. I would also appreciate advice on the layout of the bathroom.

Many thanks to whoever contributes!

Chris
Aggie Purvinska
The bathroom layout looks fine except if you can maybe switch the vanity with toilet for privacy and closer to window (you know why). I am not crazy about flipping furniture because it takes two hands to set it up and if you are on your way with a bowl to the table and you realize it's down. you know what I mean. But it sure does save space. There are tables and chairs that can serve a dual purpose, for example (I saw this yesterday), a table that's 24" high, with armless upholstered chairs chairs that are only 16"h, so you get the dining experience with the lounging combined. You could simply do a round 30"h table in the kitchen area with 4 chairs. and you still have plenty of room for a sectional a coffee table and a chair, defined by a rug, and TV being mounted on the right wall, so you can view it from the Dining as well. For color, a good rule of thumb is to keep in the light range and accent colors either being complementary or tertiary.
November 16, 2012 at 8:38am     
pavanneh
Personally with so few windows and the small space you need to look at lighter colors. Nothing too dark. It doesn't have to be just creams, beige and yellow. But, you need to keep the colors light and airy. A shower and a bathtub are big reselling points if you decide to sell. However having space for a washing machine/dryer is a big point too. It depends on if you want a washing machine/dryer in the apartment or not. The table is a good idea if you have enough counter space to prep food and such. If not you may need the table for that purpose. Look around at old shops and see if you can find some of the old dining table that folded down into a narrow, two person seat table. I have one of those and it works great in large or small spaces.
November 16, 2012 at 8:41am     
ckarageorgis
Hey pavanneh thanks for your comment...actually the windows are really big and there is an abundance of light in the apartment as the ceilings are very high :)
November 16, 2012 at 12:55pm   
Nancy Hehmann
Use neutral colors for the most expensive items such as sofa and chair. Then add color through pillows and other accessories. If you already have artwork for windows. Take a prominent color from it and use it for your accent color.

If you need photography or artwork, go to Etsy.com. It is a website with artisans and craftsman from the US, Canada and other areas in the world. Each "shop" has a separate owner and you can easily contact them. Just input what you need in the search engine such as "pillows, photography and a theme like coastal, Prince Edward Island, Hawaii, horse. I have a photography shop on Etsy.com which is nancyhehmann.

Dont know where you are located but in the bedroom sometimes it is helpful to find a comforter that you like to determine what colors you use in the room. If in the US, JCPenney.com has a lot of bedroom items and is a great place to buy already made curtains, drapes, roman shades.

Have fun.
November 16, 2012 at 1:07pm     
pavanneh
"Ck" that is great that the ceilings are high and the windows large. That will help alot when choosing color ranges. There are websites like Better Homes and Gardens that let you download ppictures of you room and paint the walls. I fouund it helpful.
November 16, 2012 at 2:33pm     
New apartment: what to do, what to do!
I have a new apartment and love all my furniture. What...
No driveway privacy
What do you guys think, what can I put for privacy,...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...