OLLD 11/17
November 17, 2012 in Other
Good Morning OLLD Ladies!
creeser
Good morning dear! What are your plans for today?
November 17, 2012 at 7:01AM   
creeser! It's raining cats and dogs here today, it's so beautiful! I may do nothing but sit and enjoy it.

How about you? Do you have big plans? Shopping???
November 17, 2012 at 7:03AM   
creeser
Love a good rainy day! It's windy and cold here. I just got back from town where I did a little shopping. I'm planning an animal rescue. Twice I've passed a place where there is a half grown puppy and half grown kitten that stick together like glue. Both are so hungry, their ribs are showing. I saw them again on the way into town, but couldn't find them on the way home, but it's the same place I saw them before. I'm going to find a place for them in the barn if we can catch them.
November 17, 2012 at 9:15AM   
Aww! That's so cool! You're such a good person, creeser, you're very kind. I'm sure they will love you for it! They will probably eat you out of the house, at least in the beginning.
November 17, 2012 at 9:26AM   
creeser
Doesn't matter if they do. It would be well worth it to see these fur babies happy and healthy. The road is so busy right now, that if I did see them again and they got startled and ran into the road, they could get hit. This may have to be a Sunday morning rescue. I've already checked with hubby and enlisted the help of my daughter and son-in-law. For some reason, strays love them. My daughter just smiles and holds out her hand and they come right up to her. I adore them, offer food and kind words and they look at me like I'm the wicked witch of the west. *L* Thanks for the kind words Bobbi. Wish me luck on getting them!
November 17, 2012 at 9:39AM   
Definitely good luck! I think this is the nicest thing anyone could do. You have a good heart. How many animals do you have?
November 17, 2012 at 10:16AM   
creeser
Right now, we have one dog, 2 cats and 3 birds. I told hubby when we got out here, that number was going to increase. *L*
November 17, 2012 at 10:33AM   
And what did hubby say???
November 17, 2012 at 10:33AM   
creeser
He just gave me 'the look" when I said that, but he's every bit as tender hearted as I am when it comes to animals. I called him about the puppy and kitten buddies and he told me we'd get them today or tomorrow. No whining needed on my part! *L* He understood my insistence that they can't be separated.
November 17, 2012 at 10:38AM   
"the look" I love it! I've seen that look before....somewhere....Well, good luck to ya, I hope it all works out!
November 17, 2012 at 10:45AM   
W have a rescue kitty. Love her to death. Can't bring home any more because she is a one family cat and I am afraid she would run away. I run down the the rescue a couple of times and month and bring old towels and toys the princess turns her nose up at. If I bring something I don't feel so bad leaving the animals behind.

Free kitty has cost us hundreds over the years. Yesterday's Vet bill was $180.00 !

Quiet here today. Nothing going on? creeser and bobeee, was just on that dilemma with the brown sectional and the brown/teal rug. You know what I notice most when I look at some posts? It's not the decorating but that the houses themselves are so blah. Some builders just don't know how to do finish work. All the hardware is stock, very little, if any trim, builders' quality rugs that look like they could melt if you held a match to them. Just paint ain't gonna do it! It takes a lifetime to really finish a house the way you want it; but sometimes I have to move on to another post because the fix is so overwhelming and I don't even know where to start. Would never want to hurt anyone's feelings. God bless the new home owners. So young and so poor. We're throwing out all these (good) suggestions and they have $200.00 to spend on a room that need thousands. Oh, well, they are in love.

We were so lucky when we got married because C P already owned a home which we sold to buy something together. We both had good jobs and had what many of our friends didn't have for years, all because we didn't have to save for that down payment. MA real estate is high. A quality 3+ bed/bath is probably going to start in the low $700's. A million dollars around here can be a drop in the bucket. How does one save 20% for a down payment when you are 26?
November 17, 2012 at 12:52PM   
creeser
judy, I think most of my pets have been rescues. Even my birds! The shelters are so overrun with pets right now. People don't have the money to take care of them, so they are dropping them off. It's breaking my heart to hear some of the stories.

In regards to new construction, you are so right. My husband works in new construction mostly. He builds some, but mostly does insulation and weatherization. No one builds like old houses were built. Nothing is made to last. Just to outlast the warranties. And the prices! My gosh, our house prices went up, but it's nothing like I see on tv for up north and out west. 1700 sq ft homes for $400,000! I don't know how people afford to live in areas like that.
November 17, 2012 at 1:11PM   
November 17, 2012 at 1:16PM   
I can beat your real estate prices! At the height of the housing boom, a 1 bedroom/bath, 500 sq ft house, $500,000 with multiple offers BEFORE it hit the MLS!!!
November 17, 2012 at 1:28PM     
judy, that sofa is beyond words. Oh my! How many did you order?
November 17, 2012 at 1:29PM     
olldcan
K judyg and olldbob, just thinking about the amount of chit we have stirred up on that thread. They probably think were all nuitz!!!! I will try to behave but that was way too funny and highly unlikely :)
November 17, 2012 at 3:06PM   
olldcan, we ARE all nutz!!! Can you only imagine how boring we would be if we weren't nutz?

There's a new design dilemma about replacing a boob light. With another boob light. I cannot go there.
November 17, 2012 at 3:08PM   
A what light? Hey, we have fun, but we also have lots to offer. But that sofa??????? Do you think someone took the ugly and put tape on it and posted it just to see what we would say? That looked like something from a Beatles movie after they started doing serious drugs. Coo,coo,a,choo. Needs a walrus sitting on it.
November 17, 2012 at 7:03PM   
olldroo
Just being allowed a quick breather between paint coats and skimmed the last couple of days - my God what are you lot on!!! Don't know when I last laughed so much. BH keeps looking at me funny, I think he really thinks I have lost it.
November 17, 2012 at 8:36PM   
olldcan
Come again, what did you loose olldroo, let me get my glasses so I can help you find it. Was it your nutzzz?
November 17, 2012 at 10:50PM   
olldroo
Ha Ha!!! I was only reading yesterday's thread trying to catch up and was thinking of Buttercup - we could have been butt groupies!!!

I don't think rainy days are good for you.............waaaaaaay too much time on your hands.
November 17, 2012 at 11:31PM   
olldroo
creeser - love your lost animals story. That would be me too, but don't get too hopeful, depends on how old they are and how long they have been lost. Some of them can't be domesticated which is sad.

My goodness how much are properties around you?? I'm not sure of the size of homes around here we worked on different measurements and I have no idea how to convert but I think from what I read here, ours would be about 1500 - 1700 and we are talking $1m.
November 17, 2012 at 11:49PM   
creeser
mm, sounds like our home price ranges are close. Here a 1500-1700 sq ft home goes for $80K-$180 depending on the section of town and whether it has siding or brick. Brick homes go for about $10K more in that size range.
The cat and dog I'm out to rescue look to be about 4 mos old. We went by where I had seen them twice yesterday and couldn't find them. We will look again this morning, but hubby is going to my parents' house to try and fix the plumbing my 85 year old dad demolished Friday. He gets confused somewhat and unclogging the bathroom sink turned into cutting all the piping underneath the house.
Son-in-law had a wreck late yesterday. He's ok. So my rescue cohorts are thinning.
November 18, 2012 at 4:38AM   
olldroo
Creeser, glad your son-i-l is ok, but had to laugh at your dad, I can so relate to things like that. Wonder if and when we will become a problem like that for our kids and how far they will go for us. I think mine are already making reservations for me. What are the prospects for leasing in your town? A lot of Aussies are investing in the US because of our housing prices. Not looking for any capital gains, like here, just the income, I've heard returns of around 35% are not unrealistic where here you would only be talking around 6%.

Four months old - the animals should be worthwhile rescuing.

Michi, have to admit I love oak in general, there are many different ones, but my favourite is our Tasmanian Oak. If you saw my carpet photo the timber in that is the Tassie Oak - extremely hard too. .
November 18, 2012 at 4:50AM   
creeser
roo, I tell my kids about these things and let them know our time is coming. My daughter has laid dibs on me and said our son can take care of daddy. *L* I told her we're a package deal, but if that meant I'd be under our son's care instead of her's, then I would reconsider.
In our particular town, housing rentals are big. That's only because we have a military base in town and it was expanded a few years ago. The military personnel are transferred so often, they don't want to buy, they rent. We've been buying up a lot of properties and fixing them up for rentals as our retirement income. 30 miles away where my parents live, rental properties are as weak as the housing sales.
November 18, 2012 at 5:06AM   
olldroo
I don't have much choice with my kids with one living in Munich and one in LA. Don't think my Aussie based one is very impressed at being left with everything.

Oh, wow, you are in the box seat with a military base in town. Our military people are like that too, with all the taxes, it would get too expensive buying and selling all the time. Many do buy one property at least and lease it out as a way of getting a foot in the property market for when they retire. Are your military personnel subsidised for their rentals? Ours are here and in many cases the military actually lease homes out and then provide them to personnel for a token rental. Leasing properties to the Forces is a pretty good move here as you are assured of a regular income and reliable people living in the house.

Afraid it is bedtime for me again, just as everything gets started. So cold again, I have even been taking my wheat pack to bed. Wouldn't think it is 2 weeks till summer.
November 18, 2012 at 5:32AM   
creeser
roo, they are subsidised. The higher the rank, the more they get for their housing allowance. As there, they usually do have one home they buy for retirement or maybe for tax purposes. Certain states charge less or auto and property taxes. The funny thing is, none of our rental properties are rented by anyone in the military and only one ever has been over the years. A lot of what we get, we start to fix up and one of our subcontractors or employees ask if they can rent it.
G'night roo. Sweet dreams!
November 18, 2012 at 5:40AM   
astraea
Catching up .. before Hurricane Sandy, you could pay close to $2 million, for what would amount to a bungalow/cottage, on the beach or a "beach block" on the NJ Shore! Now, I can't imagine too many people even wanting one of them, if they haven't been washed away or demolished! A cousin sent me a link to these "before & after" photos, of the shore area, that are amazing in showing the damage: http://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/hurricane-sandy-before-after-photos/

I'm very happy taking care of the wildlife, since I had to have my 2 cats euthanized, over the past 10 years. There are lots of birds, and at night it's the raccoons & possum.
November 18, 2012 at 6:36AM   
astraea

November 18, 2012 at 6:36AM   
Hi astraea! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us, it's just so horrible! No, I don't think anyone will pay near that amount now.

Everyone, I'm going to open 11/18 now! Anyone can do this you know? Doesn't have to be me!
November 18, 2012 at 6:45AM   
I responded to Jade who was upset with our convo about the sofa. What else to do with someone (MIG) looking for free advice at our expense (time, energy and creativity.) More fun to make fun than to get ticked off.

astraea, I remember asking my grandfather why he built on a river rather than the ocean (1910) when lots he could have had for $200.00 were then selling for around $50,000 (1963) and he said too much wear and tear and the threat of losing his home in a storm wasn't a risk he was willing to take. A new construction that I pass on my morning walk, on a 40,000 sq ft lot, looking straight out to England :>) and the LOT sold for $1.5 m.
November 18, 2012 at 9:35AM     
astraea
JudyG - A lot has to do with how high above sea level the property is. On some parts of the Manasquan River near me, the homes are 40' above the water level, which is pretty safe .. albeit inconvenient going up & down 2 flights of stairs down to a dock. A neighbor of mine just relisted his house $200K higher, changing the description to include "95' above sea level"! Most people don't think about the impact on insurance, if they live within a certain distance of water! I found out that my whole county is designated "high winds", so premiums are higher .. and I wouldn't be surprised if they're double or triple, for people within 1,000 ft of the shore.
November 18, 2012 at 9:51AM   
We pay huge insurance premiums, also. In this house we do not pay flood insurance for some reason. 95' above sea level and charging more…well, he has a captured audience right now. Normally that walk down to the dock would be a reason NOT to buy the house. I'd have to throw the life preservers down first. :>)
November 18, 2012 at 11:38AM     
mpoulsom
oh ladies...you will ot believe what i've been doing...NOT what i planned of course. and i can't stay on here but a second. old on, i'm gonna take a pic....don't judge it yet, but i am loving it!! went to the fireplace this weekend instead.. teehee! :)
November 18, 2012 at 2:00PM   
Mendi, WHAT???
November 18, 2012 at 2:01PM   
mpoulsom
before and durin...so far
November 18, 2012 at 2:13PM   
Looks great! Is it paint? What color/brand?
November 18, 2012 at 2:15PM   
mpoulsom
i'll show ya! not done yet, j's at the hoe depot buying more wood!!
November 18, 2012 at 2:15PM   
mpoulsom
no pics won't download!! ;( that's b4
November 18, 2012 at 2:16PM   
mpoulsom
process
November 18, 2012 at 2:24PM   
You clad it with wood! What kind, and how did you do it? Sometime you have to reboot to get pics to attach.
November 18, 2012 at 2:26PM   
creeser
MP, love it! Did you prestain or do you stil have to stain it?
November 18, 2012 at 2:33PM   
mpoulsom
still have to stain and doing mantle NOW!!! haha! I'm calling it the Jenga Fireplace! HA! It really looks great in person!! I'm thrilled!!! :) It's poplar and very pretty!!!
November 18, 2012 at 2:43PM     
mpoulsom
Bottom still has to be done too...maybe a thin concrete slab on top and wood below flush with it....
November 18, 2012 at 2:45PM   
mpoulsom
be back later! lol
November 18, 2012 at 2:55PM   
astraea
At first I thought it was stacked stone (or cultured stone), not wood. That's what I put on my fireplace; would have liked real stone, but it would have broken the budget! Before on left, after on right
November 18, 2012 at 3:24PM     
astraea, nice!
November 18, 2012 at 3:44PM   
mpoulsom
til tomorrow!!
November 18, 2012 at 4:29PM     
olldroo
astraea - thanks for the link to the storm damage. I had seen the one on the Japanese earthquake before. Modern technology is so amazing. Thanks for sharing your room too, your fireplace looks lovely. You guys and all your fireplaces make me wish I had one.

mp - can't believe you could do that so quickly. One minute you are talking about it and the next it is done and looks great. Are you going to put a poly finish over the stain? Don't know if I have explained, but I am a Capricorn and can't help myself when it comes to practical, especially where housework is concerned and I'm thinking "dust" right now.

judy - I tried to make light to Jade before she got too upset. So hard when I was killing myself laughing. At the time I was thinking about MIG though and way he put that post up, I read it that he was sending the whole thing up which was pretty unprofessional of him so after his further comments I have told him so this morning.

Onto today's episode - see what nonsense you are all up to. .
November 18, 2012 at 4:42PM     
MP, can't wait to see the tomorrow photos. Is that your B H doing that work? Wow!

oldroo, I know, thanks. I honestly thought at first that sofa was a joke. I checked out his website and the sofas from Spain cost thousands! Who would even consider? Then I realized this is MIG's modus operandi. Done it before and it wastes my time. Grrrrrr.
November 18, 2012 at 5:17PM   
olldroo
Judy - oh well maybe me telling him I thought he was unprofessional might make him think twice in future. I keep cracking up at one designer saying it had kerb appeal. So clever.

I really do think though it could have possibilites in a rumpus room or somewhere like that, the contrast colours didn't scream obvious. I really liked the shape and style of it. Took me ages though to work out the leaf pattern, I honestly thought it looked like cobwebs - hence the Halloween comment.
November 18, 2012 at 5:40PM   
I just went searching for a wild sofa, roo, and i plugged in contemporary sofa and guess what popped up at the bottom of the page? Olld1117! I just can't laugh any more. Going to watch the Good Wife, which I was not today:>) http://www.houzz.com/photos/basement/comtemporary-sofa-/p/24
November 18, 2012 at 5:52PM   
olldroo
Judy, I just went into his website - don't know if it is the Spanish influence, oh hang on it must be HE isn't a designer, those lounges just get worse!!!!

Didn't get into The Good Wife. When it started it conflicted with another show I was watching and didn't feel like coming in half way through.
November 18, 2012 at 5:58PM   
astraea
Who is MIG, and where was that discussion?

I would think people have to be very careful with the finishes they put on fireplace surrounds, because if there's any flammable off-gas from it, you could have a fire blow out into the room because of the coating! Like polyurethane for example: http://research.chem.psu.edu/hragroup/flame_resistant_materials.htm
November 19, 2012 at 4:36AM   
Hi astraea! MIG is a furniture designer that stirred up a hornet's nest, here's the link: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/248014/Sofa-from-Spain---How-do-you-like-this-custom

I was a bit worried about the wood surround, too, but for flammability issues. Doubt I spelled that right!
November 19, 2012 at 4:43AM   
olldroo
Goodness you are quick off the mark olldbob, I went to look for the link and by the time I came back you had added it. Enjoy astraea, the girls really let their heads go.

Wasn't thinking about flammability issues (thats how I spell it too) you can tell I don't know the first thing about fireplaces - only dust LOL!!!. The nearest I got to one was at my daughter's one time, they live in a much colder area than us, and I stayed there for about 3 or 4 nights. Every morning at 5am her hubby stoked the fire to ensure the house was nice and warm when everyone woke, but generally had that much smoke in the house I was choking on it and ended up losing my voice.
November 19, 2012 at 4:52AM   
olldroo, sounds like they needed their chimney cleaned!
November 19, 2012 at 4:53AM   
astraea
I didn't think the brown & blue sofa fabric was that bad, but didn't like that the seat cushions were a solid brown instead .. felt like they ran out of the patterned fabric! The pattern reminded me of the "fractile patterns," that are so common in nature (i.e. tree branches). Maybe I'll stick my 2 cents into that discussion!
November 19, 2012 at 4:53AM     
mpoulsom
I will not put anything on there that will catch on fire girls, promise. What happened is that we made a trip to home depot and i found a box of wood. approximately 1,2, & 3 inches wide and about 2-3 ft long. Well, my brain immediately said stacked stone look with wood! So we did it. Started it saturday night. You will die when I tell you how we did it, but i'll write later when i get to work. i know. i'm horrible...when i get to work! boy o boy..... :)
November 19, 2012 at 4:53AM     
michigammemom
MP, what a creative fireplace surround idea! I love the varying depths that create the dimension of stacked stone. Very clever.
November 19, 2012 at 5:00AM     
olldroo
Olldbob - no the chimney was fine there was just as much smoke outside too, you couldn't see out the windows for the smoke. I ended up in the bathroom with my head out the window, the only side of the house the smoke wasn't. At 5AM it was just ridiculous!!! I just don't think the hubby (who is now her ex) knew what he was doing, he was more intent on having the house HOT. Don't know how the neighbours coped.
November 19, 2012 at 6:00AM     
I thought you were going to bed??? hehehe
November 19, 2012 at 6:03AM   
olldroo
I am ........................ RIGHT NOW!!!!!
November 19, 2012 at 6:05AM     
creeser
Just saw that post about opinions on the couch and your comments. I thought I was going to have to whip out a Depends to finish reading them. You guys are hilarious and ohhhh so bad. *LMBO*
November 19, 2012 at 10:25AM     
olldroo
But ohhhhhhhhhhhh such fun
November 19, 2012 at 3:56PM   
OLLD 11/17
Happy Sunday all, do you spend your Sunday at church,...
narrow great room 22x11', narrow sunroom 17x11
The existing furniture will be gone from both rooms...
OLLD11/11/13
HAPPY VETERANS DAY Are there any veterans out there....
OLLD 11/11
Good morning and happy Veterans Day! I was thinking....you...
How would you spend $10k to improve this kitchen?
I would love to hear you advice! We are finally ready...
Backsplash advice?
We recently put in this unique island. We love it with...
Wood floor stain issue!
We are having our floors stained with Bona Jacobean...
fireplace accent wall
I have a coral rock wall fireplace I want to paint...
Backsplash ideas
new kitchen with dark cabinets and bianco antico granite....