Centerpiece ideas for table and buffet

jmduarteNovember 17, 2012
Looking for ideas for my buffet and table. Right now there's a rectangular votive holder on my buffet along w 2 candelabras. Any thoughts? Feel like I need more. I also need something on my table. Don't want to go too floral, looking for something a bit contemporary. Thanks!
carolyn prohovich designs
If you are looking for something more contemporay, I would ditch what you currently have and use it elsewhere. I would place a series of square or cylinder vases with pillar candles in different heights and widths. Just keep the shape consistent -- either square or cylinder vases. I would keep them all to the back of the buffet so you can use the front and middle during a dinner party. The vases can be found a Pottery Barn or less expensively at a chain craft store or wholesale flower market. Good luck!
    Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 11:08AM
I was thinking a candlestick "collection" for your table centerpiece, with a pretty clear vase for flowers. I found something like this on houzz as well..
William Hefner Architecture Interiors & Landscape · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 11:19AM
fife2
Have you checked out : Home Goods (owned by TJ Maxx) - they have tons of beautiful glass - even Murano if you get there on a good day. I would suggest a large ROUND or OVAL glass piece for the center of your table - NOT so sure about anything floral here - everything in the room is rectangular except for your lovely light fixture reflected in the mirror - so why not add a beautiful hand crafted something for the center of your table?

Just a suggestion here you might try: Have you thought of putting BOTH of the glass candle holders on the left side of the painting - and then adding at mid-level height bowl, platter, something on a stand or a little taller on the right side - this might break up the stronger angular lines of your room - since you do have the round fixture above?

I love your chair fabric and colors - but I would start looking for something a little more original or unique? Pier One often has objects, or try some antique stores; flea markets, etc. - for that one things which YOU love. OR - perhaps on this side - a beautiful Orchid in a pot YOU have chosen? When it croaks - get another one? I think you need something with some softer lines - to carry the idea of some height on this side?

Please show us - Even a large glass trencher - with some beautiful glass balls in it - would look lovely on your table..
    Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 11:26AM
dcer
I would put a pair of table lamps on the buffet, and then a decorative platter in the middle. A grouping of candlesticks and small decorative accessories would look nice on your table.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:06PM
jmduarte
Thanks for the great ideas. "Dcer"-I tried looking for table lamps but had no luck finding small,thin ones I liked. "fife2"- do u think those candle stick are not tall enough? Tried putting on left side but I think they should be alternating heights if i do so. I like orchids, so maybe a tall, cream color one on buffet? How about in the center?, or is that too ridged? Funny, I hate my chair fabric...it's to formal n dark for me. We're u suggesting I look for diff, more orginal chairs or were u referring to the objects? As for table centerpiece, I like idea of round glass piece or hand crafted something....a specific color or just glass? "Caroline"- are you talking about maybe mini hurricane type vases?
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. This room has been sitting here un-accessorized for 9 months!
    Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:58PM
michigammemom
I would suggest a simple arrangement of cube shaped planters filled with wheatgrass for a contemporary table scape.
rentfluff.com · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 1:30PM
pcmom1
How about a large Italian glass bowl, one with great colors?
    Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 2:31PM
You didn't ask, so apologies...I would remove your dining room rug. I like the stripe fabric on your chairs with the colors in your tile. Like dcer's idea of buffet lamps. Maybe something to go along with your chandy?
Crystal Lamp · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 3:08PM
the essentials inside
Hi jmduarte & everyone!

jmduarte - Love your dining room! It looks beautiful!

I'd like to try to photoshop some accessories in for you based on some of the ideas given (& my own) but I was wondering if, when you get a chance, you could take a picture of the buffet w/out anything on it. I'm ok at photoshop & I love it but not great yet. It is easier for me to add, then take away. Maybe lessismore will stop by this discussion - she's great.

Also, a couple of questions:

-how tall are the candlesticks you have now.
-what color is the mirror frame and pendant light - I can't tell from my screen if they are brown or black.

Thanks! Again, a beautiful room.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
    Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 6:59PM
orangecamera
I see lovely pictures reflected in the mirror. Perhaps bring that red color into the dining room with something like this red bowl, either on the table or the buffet. Go for something large and handmade to make a statement.

Also consider making your arrangements balanced, rather than symmetrical.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 7:14PM
jmduarte
Thank you all for the ideas. Lyvonne- the chand and mirror are black. The candle holders are 18" high. I've attached new pics w/o accessories. Eventually, going to replace that buffet w one i found at ZGallerie-all mirrored w a champagne wood trim. Thnx soo much for trying photoshop! Orangecamera-great bowl! Going to TJ Maxx to look for one!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 7:47AM
pcmom1
For glass bowls, also check out Tuesday Mornining. Remember: go big or go home (get a large statement piece). A couple of glass candlesticks along the same line as the bowl for the buffet would bring some of the color over there.

Your art of trees is very nice. I would bring a little more nature in, with the addition of a metallic or ceramic urn on the floor with some branches in it.

One thing that really added a nice touch to my own home: go to the Switch Plates website for new switch and outlet covers. I replaced mine with burnished bronze (not cheap around $5 to $10 per), you could go with a nickle to match the mirror. It is subtle, but adds a richness.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:19AM
Nancy Hehmann
If you want something colorful and made in the USA, visit Blenko.com. They have been handblowing glass there for decades and it is timeless. Might even make an heirloom. I have a vase from there that I got in the 70's. So much better than buying something a Pier 1. Beautiful room.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:21AM
jmduarte
Thank you thank you! Luv the suggestions. Interesting about the rug...I didn't have a rug for the longest time. It was too difficult to find one cuz the floor is so busy and my chair fabric too. Without a rug, It was also very dark and looked unfinished. I had a light, patterned rug before but it fought w them too. So now this bounded piece of carpet has a swirl pattern and lightens up the room. It looks more finished, and the chairs aren't in conflict w floor. Maybe a darker piece of carpet?
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 11:57AM
the essentials inside
jmduarte - thanks for the pics! I'm working on some ideas for you and will post as I go. Did you find anything at TJMaxx?

I actually like the rug.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 1:11PM
the essentials inside
jmduarte - how wide is your buffet? Just trying to get the scale right on some of the items. Thanks!!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 2:35PM
jmduarte
Luvonne- it is 63" wide.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 7:02PM
fife2
Gosh , I never even noticed the rug. What about something simple like a plain Berber or a bounded Sisal? I think your room is lovely - and would have never noticed the floor.
    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 8:30AM
the essentials inside
Thanks for the measurements! I'll be back. :)

~Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 3:37PM
the essentials inside
Hi again! Don't want you to think I've forgotten you. Just having a tough time putting things together - not finding exactly what I want.

You'll see w/the attached that I'm working on it, but hmmmmm...... I'm going to keep working at it. :)

Hope you had a great Monday!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 8:20PM
jmduarte
Looks nice! Cool photo! Super sweet of you to do this but don't know yourself out. I went out shopping around., looking for centerpiece, glass, for table and a tall orchid. "fife2" suggested an orchid on one side and the candle on the other. Along with "orangecamera"- mentioned more balanced rather than going symmetrical? "PcMom1"- where would I put a floor vase w branches? I actually have one I was going to return back to ZGallerie cuz its "Python" design, it bugs me! See attached.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 6:23AM
Madeline
A ready-made opportunity for a great tableau: a huge silver tray, lots of shiny crystal objects, like stemware, on-the-rocks glasses, a special small ice bucket & tongs, some silver candlesticks. (This of course is if you and your friends partake...) In the summer months a chance to change out for more casual stuff, like wood tray, pottery, chunky glasses, etc.
Just a thought, madeline
1 Like    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 6:51AM
the essentials inside
So many wonderful ideas and possibilities! It is fun to play around w/the photos b/c sometimes you think something is going to look great and then.....nope. If you find some things you like online & want to try them out b/f you buy, just post them here (w/their dimensions) or paste in the link & I can try them out in the photo for you.

Hope you have a great day & a wonderful holiday!!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 7:32AM
pcmom1
Michael's has all sorts of very tall, "thin" vases? urns? I have two in my foyer in a "copper" finish, one around 3 feet tall, the other a little shorter, that hold some tall branches, also from Michael's. I was thinking something very similar would look good next to the buffet. The copper would work well with your chair's material.

Today I hit our backyard. I have some trees out there with great orange berries and leaves to add to mine. (for Christmas I hang some Swedish straw ornaments on the branches)

If you do this, add some weight to these so they are steady. I added some gravel to mine.
    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 8:12AM
bamamom
I like the rug!
    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 8:18AM
jmduarte
So decided to go w the asymmetrical look n changed out my candlesticks. This orchid is just a "stand in" I put just to see the idea. Looking for a large, more full orchid. Are these candlesticks to thick?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 3:28PM
orangecamera
The difference between your original set-up and now is remarkable. I think it looks really great now. The candlesticks are not too thick, in my opinion. They play in nicely to the size of the reflected chandelier and artwork panels. And I like the red orchid, is there a reason you wouldn't keep it?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 3:34PM
pcmom1
Candlesticks look great with your mirror!
    Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 4:06PM
bamamom
I really like what you've done. I like the thicker candlesticks
    Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 4:35PM
pittypatva
Love the candlesticks.....not too large at all. They could be ever bigger I think. How about one fat
mercury glass ginger jar on the other end of the buffet?
    Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 5:02PM
the essentials inside
I agree w/the others - it looks great!

Wishing you and everyone here a safe and happy Thanksgiving,

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
    Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 7:42PM
jmduarte
Thanks all...I was thinking a larger orchid, maybe a gold one w a touch of red. That orchid plant goes in my bathroom. My friend is going to make me an orchid plant...she gets wholesale prices and is talented w making arrangements :) Thanks again everyone. Now, time to search for a glass piece for the center of the table!
    Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 8:00PM
Decorating dining room...ideas please!
Need ideas and examples pics of items to finish decorating...
lovefrappe
Need suggestion for my buffet
Hi fabulous Houzzers! Does anyone have a lighting...
Lori
Dining rm table decor
Just purchased new chandelier. Love it but hung it...
rtapp
Small 12x12 dining room ideas.
Our dining room is covered in DREADFUL paneling that...
Angelina Litaker
Need help with decor ideas for living room
I need help with decor for our open concept living/dining...
tuckersgurl
Does this rug work?
Posting for a friend--what do you think of this rug...
lacy
Need help for our bonus room - build a shed dormer
We have a playroom that looks like an attic space due...
ecduke
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Stefanie
Need help with drapery options and final decorating touches
We recently built a farmhouse style home. The living/dining/kitchen...
carmenck
Wall Mounted Fireplace or Inserted Fireplace?
Looking to get one for my new living room and still...
poshky