Color suggestions
sprattliz
Hi,
I am painting the hallway red (any suggestions?) and the kitchen walls a Provence buttery yellow. I need some suggestions for the cabinets. I havent a clue what color would bring the red, buttery yellow/Provence Blue (?) cabinets to all come together for the living room. Open to any suggestions. It is all open and airy. I will be adding beams to the living room as well. Thanks! Liz
kazemini
I do not think that u should paint it red, because red is a little to much in my sense, I would prefer a light creamy color, or white. It is your choice. Good Luck!
November 17, 2012 at 5:52pm     
nume
I love the picture hangers in the stair area! Is that wrought iron?
Sorry! I'm color challenged and can't help with your cabinet question.
November 17, 2012 at 6:15pm   
houssaon
I would do the hallway and the living room in the same color. I wouldn't do red either. I like what you have now for those areas. But if you are look for a change, how about a burnt orange: David Howell Design 2002 Showcase 1 2002 Showcase 2
November 17, 2012 at 6:29pm   
I am in awe of the beautiful job you have done so far. And what is beautiful about it is the subtlety of the colors, and the refinement of the mix. So please don't strike out on a bold color route.

These are the only things I would dare do to your beautiful home:
1. In photo one: That's where you say you would like to paint the walls red. Well, I know you will select a very muted clay red. So I might add a faded green rug to the floor.

2. In photo two, I would angle an approx 6x9' rug in the bare area, picking up on the faded red of the
window covering, but bringing in also the pale greenish grey of the cabinets.

3. In photo 3, you need to bring it all together with slightly brighter colors. I'd use a patterned rug of faded Provencal colors. Then I'd add slightly brighter pops of those same Provencal colors.
Congratulation on your beautiful home!
November 17, 2012 at 6:36pm     
msslynne
Like another poster here I was going to say burnt orange, though I really love the cabinet color now as well! But think your own suggestion of the provence blue would look completely awesome. The colors you already are making use of in all rooms pictured are real nice, I think you are going to do best for your space with your own instincts as you have excellent taste and a good eye. Have fun and hope you post the finished pics as well!
November 17, 2012 at 6:42pm   
tennisanyone
Add a runner and pillows to the bench. Nice wall color. In the LR a big area rug to anchor the couch.
November 17, 2012 at 6:42pm   
sprattliz
Thanks but I have already decided on the red hallway, my biggest concern is what color to paint the living room AFTER painting hallway and kitchen that will bring it all together/flow. I just bought this house so these colors came with the house.
November 17, 2012 at 7:07pm   
adill74
Red is a bold color, therefore you really need to know what you are doing with it. If anything I would paint the small wall red. Add a red throw to the bench, a antique finish umbrella stand by the door, and replace the wood mirror with a antique finish frame mirror. Seem like you have a pretty big living room but the floral chair has to go, replace it with a nice rustic/western accent chair...since your armoire and leather sofa has that theme. The coffee table is too small for your living room, a oversize square coffee table would be great with an animal hide rug. You need more decors also. Why don't you paint your cabinets a dark grey with red, white and grey mosaic back splash, get rid of the wood chairs, the table is ok but I would upgrade the chairs.
November 17, 2012 at 7:26pm   
yvonnecmartin
With so much wood in the hallway, you need to be very careful with the exact shade of red. It should be to the orange side, not the blue. I suggest that you paint the candidate colors on foam board and look at them in all lighting situations before you decide on which looks better. You probably also need a rug in the entrance way to cut down on dirt tracking into the house.
November 17, 2012 at 8:02pm   
sprattliz
Just bought the house so the only furniture I am keeping is the leather sofa. I am starting from scratch, nothing on walls just yet and no hallway bench. I will also be changing the bannister to a darker wood stain to work with the ceiling beams I am adding. So paint colors comments are greatly appreciated. thanks!
November 17, 2012 at 8:48pm   
parisgirl1970
I'm tired of being so pc about decorating. Camp it up. Ralph Lauren carries some beautiful matte' red colors so take a look. You must be careful b/c of all he wood you have-, so it doesn't look barn-ish. Get some Persian-y rug going there to throw the thought. Even a long runner. .Lose those kitchen chairs, the whole block has them. Better to have four different chairs and create some whimsey or some wow.. Red people are passionate people.-go wild. If you experiment you will know what's right for you--you can always return the wrong item, but go w/ your dream. Beautiful living room but needs a better cocktail table, something unpredictable. Please show us your 'red' results. .
November 17, 2012 at 9:59pm   
November 17, 2012 at 10:07pm   
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...
should I have a central A.C or split units in special rooms
I want to put an A.C system in the house. But I heard...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...