Tilt & Turn Windows - Blinds/Window Coverings - Help
elisenyc
I am having tilt and turn windows installed because double hung destroy the view from my apartment. What do I do for blinds? I cannot find anything. Help.
PH Interiors, LLC
how do tilt and turn windows operate? I'm not familiar with the term.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 6:29AM
elisenyc
Tilt & Turn Windows open from the top by opening out or from the side out.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 7:16AM
lionnessone
What size are the windows and can you post photos? I need to see the frames of the windows.
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 7:19AM
Dylan Martin Homes & Remodeling
I love this type of window. They also come with built in blinds that will completely block out all light. Very easy to clean!
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 7:20AM
Weatherwell Elite - Aluminum Shutters
Hi Elisenyc,

Do they open from the top or from the side?
0 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 7:34AM
elisenyc
The windows open from the top and the side depending on the handle position. The window is a triple window 105 x 60 made up of a picture window flanked by two tilt and turn windows. The manufacturer I am required to use does not offer the option of pre-installed blinds in the window. A picture of a similar window is attached.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 7:56AM
lionnessone
Check out Hunter Douglas.
Are the windows in your bathroom or bedroom?
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 4:47PM
elisenyc
Windows are in bedroom and living room. I spoke to a senior sales rep at Hunter Douglas and was told Hunter Douglas has nothing. So far the only option appears to be an English brand called Perfect Blinds that do not seen to available in the US. My neighbors do not have blinds up but some have blackout blinds with a rod above the windows. There must be a solution to have privacy with air flow.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 5:46PM
PH Interiors, LLC
If your windows open out, then why wouldn't 2" wood blinds work? You can adjust the slats for privacy and still get air flow. Unless I'm missing something.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 8:58AM
David Antoniuk
I'm looking at buying some tilt and turn windows myself, and was just researching this. Here's a US distributor for a German shade company that makes a taut line "top down / bottom up" shade to allow tilting. http://rs-sylko.com/pages/plissee_1.html
0 seconds ago
0 Likes   March 21, 2013 at 8:46PM
Ironwood Builders
Check out Fenstermann Windows here on Houzz. Search discussions for Fenstermann and David, their SoCal rep will be in the loop. Fenstermann is a German company and they do lots of tilt/turns...and have window treatment options as well.
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 9:14AM
elisenyc
David -- Thank you! I have contacted the US distributor. Ironwood - I will also look into Fenstermann. Finally I may have options!
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 9:19AM
These are virtually standard in Germany, France and Switzerland. I hang blinds and curtains without a problem. We roll the blind up when we want to open the window. Either the blinds are hung above the window frame, or in some cases I have seen them attached to the window (but never paid attention to how)
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 9:34AM
David Antoniuk
I lived in Germany for 4 years (and my wife is European), so we've had many discussions about how cheap (and hard to clean!) most US windows are. For those who are not familiar with this product, many German installations are done with an exterior built-in roll up shutter (with small holes between the slats, to allow you to lift just a hair and have ventilation while still blocking 99% of the light). A nice system for a small flat in Berlin, but pricey given all the windows in my sprawling home.

The issue for us in Florida is that we leave our windows wide open 4 months a year during the night, but still need some sort of sun blocking after sunrise before we get up. Hence my need for window attachments. SOme US blind companies make taut line, but want a screw in mounting of the top of the unit - which is sort of a deal breaker for me given very expensive windows... Will check into Fenstermann (what else would we call a German window rep?).
2 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 9:49AM
Fenstermann LLC
I supply German made windows, doors, screens, shades, and exterior roller shutters. Fenstermann has 10 years experience working with over 60 manufacturers to supply these products ON TIME, and on budget.

We have the shades you are looking for through about 3 different companies to provide the most options.

Please view our website: www.plissee.ca < Full website dedicated to our German shades.
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 10:02AM
David Antoniuk
How do the taut-line blinds attach to tilt windows on the top and bottom? Does this involve screws? Are there any side rails? I'm looking at using these on a Marvin Tilt Turn.

I'm on the website, under Technical Details, looking at PL-11, 12, and 13, which seems to be the taut-line versions. Do these allow both top down and bottom up adjustments?
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 10:09AM
Fenstermann LLC
Yes, we have these shades availble to attach without putting screws into the window. If you would like to discuss in detail, you can email me or call me directly. My contact info is listed on my profile.
0 Likes   March 22, 2013 at 10:26AM
Fenstermann LLC
@David Antoniuk We provide a bracket that clamps onto the window without the need to put screws in. The window treatments are then attached to the bracket. So, they are the same top-down/bottom-up window treatments you see on the website.
0 Likes   March 25, 2013 at 9:13AM
dekeoboe2
I also need blinds for our tilt turn windows and do not want to screw into the upvc windows. I need them for both the operating windows and the fixed glass windows. What did you finally decide? We are also on the east coast and there don't seem to be any suppliers here.
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 12:41PM
Fenstermann LLC
I ended up supplying some people in New York with window treatments because of this thread. I would be happy to help you. Just send the measurements to me via email: david@fenstermann.com
0 Likes   June 9, 2013 at 10:33PM
elisenyc
I am the the NY person who ordered blinds from Fenstermann. The blinds arrived last week and are beautiful. I have not installed yet because of logistics (waiting for a visit from my Dad) but will report back. As the thread indicates I was at my wits end trying to find window coverings and this site provided the solution.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 1:14PM
CellularWindowShades.com
As luck would have it, we have talked about this on our blog http://cellularwindowshades.wordpress.com/your-design-forum/ You can mount a shade above the window to drop over the window or perhaps use a roller shade with a reverse roll (or waterfall) as they call it.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 1:24PM
dekeoboe2
David - I have sent you an email
CellularWindowShades - If I mount a shade above the window on the drywall, it would end up being far away from the window itself because I have very deep window returns. It cannot be an inside mount because there is not enough room - the window would not be able to be opened.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 2:53PM
Fenstermann LLC
I got your email. Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been out all day! I will get back with you soon.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 6:33PM
Fenstermann LLC
These shades attach to the Sash of the window/door, and operate with it. These are European style windows, and this is the window treatment that accompanies them in Europe where they are used the most.
0 Likes   June 10, 2013 at 6:37PM
Rudy Batties
check out RS-Sylko.com
0 Likes   August 28, 2013 at 9:53AM
Rudy Batties
There dealers offer a wide choice of products for these windows
0 Likes   August 28, 2013 at 10:04AM
Blinds/Window Treatment Needed
I want/need to lighten this room (overhaul it too,...
jestillman
How to dress tilt and turn windows??
I got tilt and turn windows as i like the look of them...
thelmafrawley
European-style tilt-and-turn windows
I haven't found any discussion on this type of window....
Janet R
Kitchen Floor "Brazilian Green" Porcelain Tile?
I'm trying to decide if I want to change the tile on...
diyher
Need to fit five kids in this room
Need to fit five kids in this room. Two 13yrs olds...
happycl8
8' ceil in 11x14 galley kitchen. Remodeling 1988, hate recessed lights
I plan two 60-100 arm-style wall-mounted barn lights...
Laura Ready
opening up a stairway
We live in an 1890's farmhouse. The stairway is accessed...
thebigredbarn
Not happy with new drapes :(
My designer is telling me the new drapes are perfect....
angelewing