OLLD 11/18
Good Sunday Morning!
olldcan
So check this out. I changed my profile a week back so all discussions wouldn't be shown and only idea books would be shared. This morning to my surprise, westcoastsider has a link to my (NOT PUBLIC) part of my page in there question. Once you click on it all discussions are there including recent activity.....

REALLY, I started the day in a great mood.... now just a little pissy!!!!! over this

by westcoastsider
30 minutes ago in Design Dilemma
Thinking of using Ikea cabinets http://www.houzz.com/user/olldcan
Anyone had good or bad experience.?
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:05AM
Yes! I've had two retailers post their products to my ideasbooks, one is that lamp company that makes lights look like animals, and the other was some cabinets company. I just deleted them.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:16AM
olldcan
I just don't get this. Why would westcoastsider put a link to my personal page (the part nobody should be able to see) in a question posted in design dilemma.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:27AM
I don't know, Candace, you should probably bring it to Emily's attention: emily@houzz.com She'll take care of it for you!
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:30AM
olldcan, when I click that link westcoaster posted it only shows me your public profile and ideabooks (which you said you allow others to see), not anything else. i.e. NO recent activity feed. So I suspect that when YOU click it, it is allowing you to see your private home page while the rest of us only see your public profile. It's a bit like when I click on my name anywhere on Houzz, it goes to my page with all the personal feeds. But if anyone else clicks on my name they only see my public profile. That is, the link itself recognizes YOU are the one clicking it, not the rest of us, and gives you the private access. Do you see what I mean? I double checked in the Discussion itself as well, and same thing. ONLY your ideabooks are showing, nothing else. I agree it is odd that the link is there at all, but I assure you it isn't revealing anything you don't want revealed.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:56AM
creeser
Good afternoon ladies!
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 9:11AM
creeser
MM, college towns are great for rentals as well, though with college students, I don't think you get someone who will take care of the property as well as others might. We use a property manager. They take a portion of the rent, but they deal with all the paperwork and dealing with the tenant as well as repairs and efficient evictions should they be needed. Our homeowner's insurance isn't that bad, since we're only dealing with structure. The tenant insures the contents. I will say that a lot of ours are foreclosures with damage. Being a builder, hubby gets it fixed up for less than what others can usually get it done. With the market like it is, we've even been offered 2 for 1 specials by the bank. If you buy that one, I'll give you a great deal to take this one as well.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 9:36AM
Hey! There's a bit of a verbal volleyball going on in the Fiscal Cliff discussion, and we're not even part of it! Judyg, you stay out of it!!!
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 11:48AM
I can't bobeeee, I just can't. Although I am eating humble pie today for my fresh remarks on the sofa. Still am not convinced as to motive…and don't you dare post pix of your living room.

I, too, have a rental (two family), a cottage with an up and "lower level"…i.e. basement. I do fairly well on the rentals (annual) and I do like the tax write off part. I didn't intend to become a landlord but the house came on the market and it was underpriced. As it is on the way to the beach, I couldn't let it get away and we also thought it would be a good downsize option in the future. But now C P has decided that he wants a condo down town (I am saying that with a smile, as downtown has a library, P O, a restaurant and a small all purpose store.) I love my tenant (wish he'd date my daughter) and I don't want to put it on the market in fear I'd make him homeless. It probably will turn out as a good investment as the lot is worth more than what I paid for the house.

Here the best scenario is to rent just during the season, but I couldn't put up with all that work that is involved every week on turn-over Saturday.

Sitting around today. I had lots of incentive at one point after my walk, but now just waiting for the Pats to come on @ 4.

Thanks, feeny, for explaining that to olldcan. But, how did her e-mail wind up in that post? Will you go on mine and see what shows? Thanx.

Anyone try Rachael Ray's cornbread stuffing in muffin tins?
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 12:11PM
I wouldn't post pics on her discussion, no worries. No on the cornbread. Question: She had to know her sofa wasn't going to go over well!!! Why post it and subject yourself to that much ridicule?
1 Like    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 12:14PM
The Pats? Tom Brady is a California boy, ya know, just across the bay from us.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 12:36PM
judyg--It wasn't olldcan's e-mail that ended up on that post, just a link to her home page public profile. But I have no idea how it ended up there. I suspect it was an error, as it made no sense and had no connection to the content of the post.
I just took a look at your home page and your public profile shows nothing--just that you live in the US and your style is "traditional, but open to everything". That's it. BTW, you can always see what your own public profile looks like by clicking the green "Preview your public profile" button on the upper right of your home page.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 12:44PM
bobeee, TB just bought here on the Cape in Harwichport. On the harbor, of course. C P played for the Pats many moons ago, #1 draft pick. No 24 million dollars then for us. He was soooooo cute. Still is.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 1:43PM
Well neener neener on me re TB jg! Who is CP?

Did ya notice Emily stepped in on the Fiscal Cliff discussion?
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 2:29PM
olldcan
Thanks feeny cause when I clicked on it I could see everything including my edit profile, e-mail address and all. Don't know if this was deliberate to post a link to me or not but it sure sent me sideways... Oh i'm going to go check if they responded or edited there question in anyway.

I'll be back soon :)
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 5:50PM
Olldcan,
I don't think anyone can edit the opening part of a discussion question. You can edit and delete comments, but people seem not to be able to delete or edit the original posting. (Am I right about this? I don't know for certain since I haven't posted a discussion, but people seem to complain about this all the time) Since that is where the link to your public profile appears, I think it will stay there. But it is clearly a mistake. He/she probably had been looking at something in one of your ideabooks earlier and accidentally pasted in the wrong link.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 6:05PM
olldcan
Looks like it was an oops feeny :) there response was they are pretty new to Houzz and don't know how it got there. I'm satisfied that they copied and pasted my profile since I no longer allow followers. Can you imagine how much someone on my coat tails would slow me down...what a drag.....

Anyway, once again I'm just amazed that a group of OLLD strangers has so much in common. Sure were dabbled around the globe but daily were very much involved in the same things. Sure enjoy the friendship and look forward to having a daily chit chat with you all.

How funny, I am a landlord as well. Hubby and I have an apartment bldg in the city were just 20 minutes from. We also have a Triplex in a National Park about 3 1/2 hours from here. All are monthly rentals, we'd love to have the Triplex be nightly but without living there we just can't swing it. There is management companies that handle nightly rentals, weekly, etc. Since the Federal Government and Parks Canada won't allow any more building in the townsite and you have to have a "need to reside" , anyone actually living there, is also employed in the town. Renting out one of the units is very daunting, one ad can yield up to 800 calls in less than a week from all over the world. That being said since it's so easy to rent out we often just change the answering machine to say the unit has been rented and don't answer the phone unless we know the number. One of my biggest issues for that property is getting trades. Since the population is so small your always calling people in from out of town If it's something we can't do ourselves. Vacancies are few and far between so the question is always asked if we have accommodations for them or will we refund the parks admission rate. Luckily we have other family there who also have rentals. One rents to tourists nightly so sometimes they can help us out. I must say sleeping in the garage of a mountain town in January is not exactly my idea of a great time. Although I have learned to make a wicked Blueberry Tea.
    Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:55PM
bobeee, C P is my cutie pie!
    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 1:00PM
judy, your hubby played for the Pats? That's exciting!
    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 1:58PM
He did! It was an exciting time. Things were a lot different then. The team was a family; there was no salary competition; we had a great wives' club. Just so much fun. Other teams would come into town and we all socialized after the game. Met some wonderful people. You are a little too young, but some of the names you might recognize. If you are interested in football, look up the AFL 1963 to 1969. In 1970 the AFL merged with the NFL. Go to Pats, 1963 #1 draft pick and see what I mean by cutie pie :>)
    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 3:26PM
I didn't start getting into football until the Niners ruled the world in the 80's. But I will check out CP !
1 Like    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 4:04PM
    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 4:27PM
He is a C P, judeeee! And a Hall of Famer, too! I'd say he's a keeper, no need to throw him back. hehehehe
1 Like    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 5:24PM
OLLD 11/26
Good Morning ! I started this post early because...
OLLD 11/17
Good Morning OLLD Ladies!
OLLD 11/28
Good Morning ! Buckets of rain are expected here...
OLLD 7/18
Morning all! How's everyone doing today? We're in...
OLLD 11/9
Who's OLLD and who's in?
Hate my entryway slate floor
Is there a way to transform the look without actually...
svivas
what size pendant over 36" square kitchen table?
I have 3 I'm considering. #1 is 20 dia x 19"h #2 is...
youngstown
Should I re do counter top before I move or just let it be? Help!!!
I am moving soon. My kitchen counter top and backsplash...
chareza
Help finish decorating my living room!
We recently finished a major remodeling, enlarging...
cjhp22
Using Old Silos for New House
Planning to use these silos as part of our new home....
Saratoga Farmstead