Need help
my9408
I'm stuck trying to make use of my old furniture. I'm not sure what area rug and other things would help make this room look complete. Any ideas?
Well, that's hardly the worst old furniture I've ever seen! I think it's quite nice. I would suggest an area rug in the blue (turquoise?) family you like, as per your pillow and art. And yes, you can put an area rug over carpet! [houzz=Mystic Collection Turquoise Rug]
[houzz=Bogart Flat-Weave Wool Rug]
[houzz=Amy Butler Hand-Tufted Wool Rug, Coventry]
November 18, 2012 at 7:51AM     
Monique Jacqueline Design
I agree with olldbob! Your furniture looks to be in great condition. As long as your furniture has a hint of blue in it, it will all tie together beautifully. Some of the choices brought in above could be a beautiful addition. Do you have a specific style in mind? Traditional, whimsy, contemporary?
Cheers!
m.
November 18, 2012 at 8:00AM     
ehoyt2000
I agree with olldbob. Also, bring your artwork down about a foot to a foot and a half, and move the tv shelving to the left, so it's not blocking the stairs.
November 18, 2012 at 8:08AM     
my9408
I've had it in storage for some years now, so I'm sure that helped with the condition. The couch has some hints of green in the threading. I really love, grey, turquoise, and brown (for now). I love the rugs olldbob posted! Any thoughts on lighting, accents, or my tv stand?
November 18, 2012 at 8:09AM     
my9408
Monique- I tend to like transitional and modern.
November 18, 2012 at 8:12AM   
sharleeg
great furniture! Love the idea of a rug picking up the blues in your artwork ( and yes, lower it, it's too high). That torchiere in the corner doesn't work, but maybe it could work elsewhere.It's too tall and thin, you need a lamp with substance there or a plant ( live) My feeling on the TV stand is it is not the right style, color for the rest of what you have.. is it laminate or is it something that could be painted over to warmer tone perhaps? Otherwise, would suggest replacing it.Also,I'd remove the blue pillows with the white pattern, too white and doesn't blend w the warmer tones.Find pillows with more of the tones you have in artwork and it will really pull it all together! Best of luck!
November 18, 2012 at 8:31AM     
diannagail
Try moving the furniture away from the walls, cozy up a bit. I love the idea of an area rug but don't go to small. You will also get a warmer feel with more on the walls. How about one of the huge clocks along with a few other things to make a nice wall story. I love telling a little story with areas in my home. Don't forget to use old stuff along with your feel. Eclectic causes interest! Good luck!
November 18, 2012 at 8:31AM   
Monique Jacqueline Design
The rug options that olldbob brought in are great then!
As for the art above the sofa I would definitely consider bringing it down, but 18" might be too much from it's current position. As for the television, most definitely am in agreement with the thought of moving it to the left, off the staircase detail. I would also think about removing the television from it's stand and wall mounting it. This would bring the television up and give some balance to this wall. Right now, it seems very short. The staircase detail is playing into this feel right now too. So, both thoughts could be a tremendous help visually. What is the distance from the sofa to the television right now? You have a larger television so for viewing purposes, you might not have the necessary distance allowing you to pull the furniture off the wall. It is not bad as you currently have it.
Hope this helps!
Cheers!
m.
November 18, 2012 at 8:41AM     
Thank you Monique!
November 18, 2012 at 10:11AM   
Your art should be as close to the sofa back as it is now to the ceiling, so that is an easy fix. Agree with the tv and lamp fixes suggested. If you can just pull the sofas six inches from the wall it will visually imply that you have more space than you actually to. Don't see a ceiling fixture or a view, but a mirror that reflects something interesting or beautiful could work on your empty wall. Otherwise, try something round like a starburst with a convex mirror.
November 18, 2012 at 10:32AM     
Ceramic tile color and grout color
What color and style ceramic floors are popular today...
What should should every homeowner or renter know how to do?
There are essential tips, tricks and skills that no...
I need texture print
Light gray walls, black doors, med brown wood grain...
Help me finish our bedroom
I need help finishing our bedroom. I want the colors...
Door Stops
What do people suggest are the best door stops for...