Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debari

Zebra print ceiling for a nursery

debari
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We are planning a nursery.

The room is tiny--not sure of the exact dimensions, but it's a very little room.

I would love to do a zebra print on the ceiling with a very pale aqua/turquoise on the walls. (Thinking about Yolo Sprout 1.) The crib is Oeuf Classic. We'll do a nice thick crown molding that is a bit ornate, as well. Maybe either white or very pale pink linens, and any accessories (picture frames, etc.) will have a pop of bright pink.

Please let us know which zebra print you think is best. Please think about factors like the size of the stripes, the scale of the print (larger print, fewer stripes), the particular zebra pattern. I have never wallpapered anything before, so have not given much thought to issues like repeat and scale, and would love to hear what you all think.

We want a nice funky look, but want to also have it be elegant and not too overstimulating for the baby. Ideally, we'll go as eco-friendly as possible, too.

Here are some options:
Brewster National Geographic:
https://www.wallpaperstogo.com/p-68376-animal-prints-zebra-wallpaper.aspx

Three Sisters Studio Just Kids
https://www.wallpaperstogo.com/p-68764-animal-prints-zebra-wallpaper.aspx

Beacon House Interiors
https://www.wallpaperstogo.com/p-33749-zebra-wallpaper.aspx

Washington Black and White Preferred
https://www.wallpaperstogo.com/p-60693-zebra-wallpaper.aspx

Washington The Black and White Difference
https://www.wallpaperstogo.com/p-79481-zebra-wallpaper.aspx

Comments (164)

• nasmijati
    11 years ago
    @Aja. If I did not include the info to reach the link in the "To OLLD 1-1-2013" post, I did not keep copies. The info on newborn vision development in the first section is widely available, so I did not reference it. I was not intending to write a research paper. This was just an attempt to find info about nursery colors for people at OLLD.
  • PRO
    EB Interiors
    11 years ago
    deborah, i think if you stick to solids and neutrals for all the fabrics and accessories, the overall feel will be soft and serene. i think a zebra print takes a bit of getting used to for many ppl...the colors are soft, let the pattern grow on you guys! matting the prints together is a nice idea to break up the wall a bit...
    good luck!
  • diannagail
    11 years ago
    It is such fun to see this project evolve. Coming from a zebra print celing to the wonderful decisions you have made! Yesterday I received a, new to me, magazine in my mail box that has some wonderful prints that I think you may find something check out serenaandlily.com. There are some adorable alphabet letters by holli at easy. Hope I am not to late for you to consider these. Waiting for more pictures!
  • diannagail
    11 years ago
    I should have reread my comment before posting.... The prints I refer to in the Serena and Lily magazine are fabrics and the alphabet letters by Holli are her art work to frame.
  • diannagail
    11 years ago
    The art by Holli at Etsy is so adorable Deb, there is a lot there that would fit so well with your colors. The alphabet is darling but there are many more too. The zebra,and the wood chuck etc. Just so cute! All of them!!!
  • Holly
    11 years ago
    Here is the link to Holli's etsy shop. And diannagail is right- they'd be perfectly calming but fun. http://www.etsy.com/shop/holli?ref=ss_profile
  • Ramona
    11 years ago
    Do you have a name picked out? Spell out your babies names with these beautiful Holli prints, but add the Z for zebra print in. Maybe she would do you a custom grouping on one sheet of paper with all her special animals. I love the zebra and unicorn prints. And they look soft, the way you are going in this room.
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love all of these suggestions., and I love that artwork. We do have a name in mind for her. There are five letters in the name (and two letters would repeat).Maybe the artist could do a custom grouping or maybe even a name acrostic or something like that--I will write to her. I do like the prints and think that they do have a soft look to them. I don't know if it will be overkill on the animals because
    I have decided that I really want to order these prints because I just love the sayings. My mom suggesting putting all three into one big frame (on a mat that matches the lighter zebra stripe with a white/light frame). The background colors for the prints are customizable. Do you all have suggestions? Would you do all three in the same background, to calm the room down? I am thinking either pink or light blue. http://www.etsy.com/listing/90949123/be-brave-little-bear-grow-wise-little
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    If you like the sayings more than you like the pictures they're with, you can always print out the sayings yourself, or have someone else do it for you. Then you can use whatever pictures you like most. I really like the name idea with those cute holli alphabet pictures.
  • Ramona
    11 years ago
    I like the sayings too; however, I would not use two different print styles of animals and I like the holli's style better.

I would use one color for the background if you put the three together. Would you consider a pale, pale lavender so that it looks almost pink? It might harmonize better with the pink silk you already have.

Did you notice Kylie has a chevron print background too? I don't know if it would be too much, but if you matched the color of your wallpaper, it might be interesting.

[houzz=
    Owl nursery art for children Chevron zigzag print 11x14 by Wallfry · More Info
    ]

I would be torn between these two artists, but do love Holli's animals much better. There is more whimsy to them.

I have adored zebras for decades and have a small zebra print in my bedroom.

[houzz=
    Z for Zebra Alphabet animal Print 8x11 inches by holli on Etsy · More Info
    ]

I just love this zebra from Holli for you. It even has a peachy pink balloon.

And Holli's owl is just begging to be wise.

[houzz=
    O for Owl Alphabet animal Print 4x6 inches by holli on Etsy · More Info
    ]

Maybe I am wrong about mixing the styles. I think I would have to pick the exact pieces and then see them side by side.
  • Holly
    11 years ago
    How about going with the Holli animals for wall art as an alphabet or you baby girl's name but then hand paint the sayings in unexpected spots. "Grow wise little owl" by a book case, "Grow brave little bear" by the door as she heads out into the world, "Grow clever little fox" near a mirror or dresser. They could be right on the wall or on a little sign. Subtle, almost secret, like you are whispering to her...
  • diannagail
    11 years ago
    How sweet and lovey would that be!
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    i love these ideas, and I really did like the Holli prints, but my husband prefers the original ones I picked. I emailed the artist to see if we could see proofs of them all on a pink background, all on a light blue background. That way we can decide between keeping them all on one background or doing three colors. If I get images, I will post. The room is TINY--7 by 10--and the wallpaper already provides a LOT of shimmer/action/contrast, so I am thinking same color may be the way to go. Possibly with large ivory/white mats and large frames. Stay tuned!
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh, and the sconce we ordered arrived today. It's a Jonathan Adler giraffe sconce. I'll post pics once it's up!
  • diannagail
    11 years ago
    Love the whimsy giraffe sconce! Soooo cute!
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Alright...so we're definitely going with these woodland prints. (And thank you all for chiming in on the other suggestions. They are all wonderful!)
    The question of the day is whether you all think we should get 11 x14 prints or 16X20. (This is the size of the print. Then, there will be the mat and the frame.) They are going up on a wall that is about 9 feet long. The crib is 54 inches long. So the 11 x 14 scenario would be prints kind of just along the span of the crib. If we got the 16 by 20's, they'd be much bigger in the frames and would take up more of the wall--maybe would space them out evenly. Thoughts? (Will ask for feedback on colors later...)
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The room is coming along! We installed the giraffe sconce, and we also ordered an overhead light. Pictures to follow...
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I ended up ordering the woodland prints from Wallfry on Etsy. She created three sets of proofs that are all based on the ceiling color. ( http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/inyoureyes). The blues--listed below as 718, 719, and 720--are all darker versions of the ceiling color (715). Please let me know which one you think will go best with the room. I plan to put them on a white mat with a white (ivory white--to match the lighter zebra stripe) frame. Thank you all for chiming in!
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    to clarify--718 is the lightest, 719 is the middle, and 720 is the darkest. The square of light blue is the ceiling color, and then there is also a snapshot of the wallpaper.
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Confused, but the 1st set posted.
    718?

I absolutely adore them!!

They will look fantastic in ivory frames.

If you choose the lighter blue, have you considered mats the colour of the darker stripe.
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    What are you doing for curtains?
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes--the first set (lightest set) is 718. The middle color is 719, and the darkest is 720).
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    haven't picked anything, yet, but something very simple and either white or ivory.
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    this is lily the giraffe!
  • diannagail
    11 years ago
    Oh Debari, this is going to be such a wonderful welcome for your new little bundle of joy! I love the sconces, the color palet, the wall paper and Miss Lily the lamp is just perfect! I would pick 719 for the pictures I think! When is the baby due! It is fun to be waiting with you and your family even when it is thru the wonder of houzz! Curtailn next? Did you look at the fabrics at serenaandlily.com?
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    curtain and rug next! I think we are going to just do a plain white or ivory for the curtain and a light beige for the rug, but if you have specific suggestions for the curtain, would love to hear it. definitely want to go organic on the window treatment. baby girl is due in 3/14! i am torn between the 718 and the 719, as are my husband and mom (who has great taste). the graphic designer did suggest 718 (the lightest) because she thinks that it has the least contrast/mellows the room the most, and it definitely needs toning down--you may not be able to tell from the pics, but the pattern on all four walls is a lot!
  • diannagail
    11 years ago
    Oh! I love that you did all of the walls with the zebra pattern!!! Brave and unique! I really think you could do either of the colors for the pictures. The medium tone might grow with the room as your little one grows out of a nursery and on to the next toddler stage. That might seem premature right now but from experience it happens all to quickly. Enjoy each day! Love the idea of keeping the curtains and rug light and neutral. You are making such great chioces!
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for the input. I went back and forth between the light and the medium and decided on the light because the room already has SO much contrast, and I think/hope that the pictures can help tone it down a bit. Going to get a simple curtain (ivory or cream). More details to follow!
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Okay, time to get advice on window coverings. We are decided on doing an organic cotton curtain--very simple--in a natural color that is sort of ivory and falls between the two different zebra strip colors. The question is whether to have one curtain or two. One seems like it might be better for just fully covering the window and not having a space where the two curtains meet, but I don't know. Here is a picture of the window. We're going to get these curtain rods. http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/elephant-finial/?pkey=e|curtain%2Brod%2Belephant|1|best|0|viewall|24||1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-
    and curtains like these, but with a hidden tab top.
    http://www.babybedding.com/natural-organic-drapes
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    although, oooh, maybe we should get owls instead of elephants. there will be owls in the artwork....it's animal, not necessarily jungle animal themed, i guess..;.
    http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/crystal-owl-finial-and-hardware-set/?pkey=dwindow-hardware&cm_src=window-hardware||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    we are having this light installed on the ceiling. it and the giraffe sconce will be set on the same dimmer switch. http://www.lampsplus.com/products/possini-euro-planetarium-ceiling-light__96999.html
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    The elephants are awesome!

Great deal on Elephant Finial & Hardware Set!!!

Frankly, I do not like the curtains.
    The colour is off and they are way too expensive.

The zebra paper looks stunning against the white trim and the giraffe sconces look great with the paper!!
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    1 window or 2?

What is the length you need?
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Why would you buy anything that needs to be dry cleaned?

The fumes from the cleaning solvent are unhealthy and stay in the fabric forever....

Buy Organic Fabric Sold by the Yard from Carousel -
    Our 100% Certified Organic Cotton is offered in an array of solid shades and colored using low-impact dyes for $7.90 per yd. and make them.

5 yds would make 2 panels.
    I love the tie tabs. You can make bows or use nifty shower curtain rings.

White would look best!
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    I like this kind of ceiling light.
    [don't even think it.]

Easy to clean and it will not yellow with age.

Have you seen those organic "rope" rugs?
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I totally agree with you on the dry cleaning. I wrote to them, and they said that the recommendation for the curtains is dry cleaning, but the fabric is actually machine washable on cold. That's what I'd do--machine wash cold. I prefer the hidden panel over the tie tabs. There's no way I could make them myself--I have no idea how to do it/no time/no talent! I thought the white would look best from the pictures online, but then when I got the swatches, the ivory seemed to go better. I will try to post pics of the swatches next to the wallpaper to see what you think.
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Aja, I am laughing at your comment about the light fixture you posted. The one we got is fabric, so it may not last a long time, and it could yellow--but I love the texture of it. I think I saw organic rope rugs on Etsy, but please do point me to any suggestions you have. We have been looking at Earth Weave, both for the baby room and for a stair/hallway runner.
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh, and just one little window. Would you put one panel or two?
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    debari,

I accidentally posted the "boob" light on some guy's "What's wrong and what color sofa?" discussion.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/whats-wrong-and-what-color-sofa-dsvw-vd~321525

GOOD NIGHT!
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hilarous!!!
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    OMG I was laughing so hard at your "don't even think it" comment, Aja! Poor baby will get confused as to which boob to go for!

debari, might I suggest a mushroom light instead?
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    one panel !
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    okay--i think i am leaning towards one panel, too. i ordered the giraffe curtain rod. will take pics of the two swatches against the wallpaper in daylight tomorrow.
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    we had the ceiling light installed today. here are some pictures of it. the ceiling fixture and the giraffe fixture are both set to a dimmer switch. you're not seeing the full brightness because we only put in one light bulb, and it takes three. we need to get more dimmer light bulbs...
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    That's a really nice fixture! The room is coming out so nicely. Lucky baby!

For your window, think about room-darkening. If the curtain you like isn't room-darkening, you have some options...either a room-darkening roller shade or a room-darkening panel that can be sewn onto the back of the curtain. I'm recommending this because sunlight will wake your baby. It will be easier for them to nap (and sleep past sun-up) in a darkened room.

I can't stop looking at the pics of the wallpaper...it's really so nice and what a unique nursery!
  • debari
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Okay, we haven't fully decided about the curtain, yet, but we're trying to decide on a rug. We're going to get a bound rug from Nature's Carpet. Very green, low VOC, etc. What do you all think of either
    http://www.naturescarpet.com/products.php?pid=19 or
    http://www.naturescarpet.com/products.php?pid=26
    All of the lighter colors are fair game.
    Or--Elymus Natural Canvas. http://www.naturescarpet.com/products.php?pid=7
  • debari
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm going to update with pictures soon. The little tenant arrived at the beginning of March and LOVES this room. When she was starting to really see things, she would see the patterned wallpaper, and just look all around. The most surprising reaction was to the elephant finials on the curtain rods. (She is four and a half months old, and I still have not put up a curtain, though. Crazy!). She would look up at the elephant and smile and laugh, and I'd tell her "elephant." Well, at three months, she was on her changing table, and looked up and croaked out, "El-la." I'm not kidding!!!
  • debari
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I ended up not getting blackout curtains because I was concerned about the chemicals. We just got organic cotton ones from Carousel Designs in North Carolina. Just a single ivory panel. It is on order. More details to follow. Btw, the other night, my husband and I were out walking in the neighborhood, and we spotted (not peeping toms--just couldn't miss it) this wallpaper in someone's DINING ROOM. It was gorgeous. We were tempted to knock on their door to tell them that we had the same wallpaper, but we thought that might be a bit creepy....