Should I paint cabinets
maggymae
I find my kitchen to dark and was wondering if a lighter granite would have any impact on lightening the space. The other option is to have the cabinets painted in an antique cream, which is really expensive. It does seem a shame to paint over cherry wood. Any advice would be appreciated.
New Again Home Interiors
Have you considered painting the island? That would lighten the room up a bit, and keep some of your lovely cherry wood.
November 18, 2012 at 7:14PM     
nanett1
Definitely paint!
November 18, 2012 at 7:15PM     
New Again has a good idea there...save the big bucks and lighten up with some easy fixes, like painting the island. A cream colored subway tile splash would also lighten and brighten things. Do you have under cabinet lighting? I'd remove the ruffled vanance from the window.
November 18, 2012 at 7:17PM     
maggymae
So you don't think a lighter granite would make any difference? also a good idea just painting the island.
November 18, 2012 at 7:23PM   
Kim
I think the wood looks beautiful. A lighter granite would definitely bring out the gorgeous dark wood and the lovely backsplash. I wouldn't change the color of the island to a different color than the rest of the wood though. That's my vote.
November 18, 2012 at 7:25PM     
cececo
I'd paint the upper cabinets a lighter color and keep the granite on the walled cabinets, but swap out the granite on the island for a lighter color that matches the top cabinets. So the bottom cabinets and island would remain cherry. The walled cabinets would keep the granite. The upper wall cabinets would be lighter color and the island would be a lighter granite/stone that coordinates the light cabinets with flecks of black and cherry to bring in the other colors, if possible.
November 18, 2012 at 7:31PM     
Natalie
No, I would not paint them. A lighter stone would do wonders (at least on the island) and perhaps just changing the backsplash to something with a unique pattern and color is all you need to do for the perimeter of the room. Do remove the ruffled valance and change the light over the island-it takes away from your beautiful cabs. Good Luck!
[houzz=Murano Vena Glass Mosaics from Royal Stone & Tile][houzz=Verdi One Light Chandelier]
November 18, 2012 at 7:39PM     
New Again Home Interiors
You could also remove the cabinet that is over the window, or paint it to match the island. I have copper counter tops on the island in my home, with a dark granite in the rest of the kitchen. The copper changes daily, depending on what has come in contact with it. You might consider doing something like that.
November 18, 2012 at 7:42PM     
New Again Home Interiors
Sorry, meant to attach a picture of my kitchen with the copper island. I am considering painting my island a lighter color with a distressed finish, I am tiring of the dark look.
November 18, 2012 at 7:45PM     
maggymae
I would rather just change the granite to something lighter as it's less work and money, but really don't know if that would make a huge difference. Yes, I am going to change the light out to something a little more appealing. I will take down the drapery, but don't think that's going to let in any more light. I wish I had put the window on the south side and not the east side, that makes a huge difference. It scares me to spend a lot of money on granite if it doesn't make any difference.
November 18, 2012 at 7:51PM   
Natalie
I really do think you only need the lighter granite for the island and a different backsplash---which is far less expensive than redoing all the counters. Hope this is helpful.
November 18, 2012 at 7:57PM     
maggymae
Here is a better photo
November 18, 2012 at 8:58PM     
maggymae
With light on
November 18, 2012 at 9:05PM   
selftaught
I would remove cabinet over window, along with the valance; change the light fixture and leave the rest alone.
November 18, 2012 at 9:31PM     
maggymae
Would also like some ideas for light over the island, Thanks.
November 18, 2012 at 10:11PM   
jagood
That cabinetry over the window and the curtains are really cutting the light; if removed, you may get more natural light bouncing off the ceilings. If you notice in the photos, the dark but glossy finish on the cherry cabinets actually reflects light. I have cabinets almost that color and they reflect light beautifully. Dark glossy granite also reflects light unless it is matte finished. So I'm not sure that your problem is the surfaces reflecting (bouncing light) as much as it is the fact that you don't have much natural light entering the space. Your cabinets are beautiful - I would never paint them! But it does look like almost every wall surface is covered with overhead cabinets and that can feel "heavy" and closed in, although the storage is wonderful. Try chainging out your light bulbs to ones that are more like natural sun, put the lights on a dimmer, and leave them on most of the time you are around the kitchen. You might also experiment with bouncing a light off the ceiling. I would consult a lighting specialist before replacing the expensive granite.
November 18, 2012 at 10:19PM     
jagood
Oh, and perhaps some color accents that really pop would relieve the dark coloring. I noticed in the one photo, what looks like an orange gourd really "pops". Or a colorful vase filled with real flowers, a few cook books with bindings that are light or bright, or a runner on the island, etc, etc. Maybe even a colorful pleated translucent shade for the window that can open from the top down - one that would "glow" when the light hits it, cutting off the glare that can bounce off granite but allowing the light to bounce off the ceiling, and bringing some bright color into your dark-toned space.
November 18, 2012 at 10:40PM     
I think that those who have advocated changing the island countertop have the best and simplest idea. Also like the idea of removing cabinet over window.
November 19, 2012 at 5:24AM     
Media Decor
Before you jump into the deep end of the pool (all kitchen redos are the deep end of the pool), i suggest the following sequence and see what you like:

1. remove cabinet and curtain above sink
2. add light colored cabinet pulls
3. change island top to lighter granite
4. paint island lighter color
5. Try to get a loan from the bank
November 19, 2012 at 6:04AM     
apple_pie_order
This is a high end kitchen with gorgeous cabinetry, granite, backsplash, the works. What the owner maggymae says is that she finds it too dark. By far the simplest and least expensive change would be to change out the light bulbs in the light fixtures, including the recessed pot lights, for brighter ones. You can also replace the island light fixture with a brighter one. Add lights in the space over the cabinets; try piling strings of white fairy lights to see how uplighting there looks. Take down the fake plants and other decor in that space; they just look dark.

Take down the ruffle valance and see how much more light you get. Remember, it is winter in the northern hemisphere; you get far less light through that one east window in winter than in summer.

I agree that taking down all or part of the cabinet over the window would let in more light.

If you have access to a lighting consultant, I'd definitely try that route before making structural changes or painting over the beautiful wood cabinets.
November 19, 2012 at 6:22AM     
heatherd1968
I would remove the cupboard and valance above the window for definite and replace with a simple blind. Introduce some chrome to match taps, eg cabinet pulls etc... Some modern light coloured tiles and more contemporary stools. And of course a chrome light fitting. This is assuming you want to modernize the look. I think the countertops are fine. You are just lacking a light contrast. Good luck!
November 19, 2012 at 6:28AM   
nomadkath
I might think about lightening or painting the wood frame above/around the stove.....maybe even a warm color.......it is interesting, and large enough to draw attention and make a difference. And maybe remove the heavy dark upper cabinet over the stove...they are hard to access anyway. Definitely remove over the sink cabinet and valance. A light/colorful runner rug for color and distraction. Is that a tv over the oven? It is also dark, and could be replaced with a lighter picture if you don't use it much. Like everyone's lighting comments, and some colored accents on counters.
November 19, 2012 at 6:52AM   
maggymae
I think I now have a plan. I will remove cabinet and valance over the window, not that it will let in anymore light but won't feel so closed in, then put in lighter granite and change light over the island. I can't take down cabinets over the stove because that's where my hood fan is. Hopefully this will do the trick. Thanks for all the advice.
November 19, 2012 at 3:50PM     
Lighting, paint, media center in my living room
Hello, I have uploaded a discussion about my living...
Are these cracks in my Quartzite???
Hi all. My wife and I are currently building our home...
House design
I need a house design of five living rooms self contained,dining...
What type of border needed for tiling stairs?
We are planning on taking the wood look porcelain tile...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...