OLLD 11/19
November 19, 2012 in Other
Good Monday morning to everyone. There's an oxymoron for you, good Monday! Only 4 days left til Thanksgiving, time to clean and prep and be exhausted before the holiday :))
olldroo
Good morning to you and good night from me. You guys sure were quiet yesterday, must have outdone yourselves the day before.

I don't know how you can put the effort you do into Thanksgiving and then back up a month later for Christmas!! My daughter has quite surprised me they decided on a mini break in San Diego - the kids love LegoLand plus they are doing the zoo for the first time, went down yesterday and returning Wednesday and she is hosting all the in-laws for Thanksgiving.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 5:05AM
Your daughter is either nutzz or ambitious! It is a challenge if you do both holidays but usually someone will take Thanksgiving and someone else will take Christmas. This year I'm doing both, but because the Mexican tradition for Christmas is to have tamales and we buy them from a Mexican restaurant, it's not so bad.

I have so many Thanksgiving lists! First the menu, then the shopping list, then which food item will go in which bowl, then there's the timetable to make sure everything is done at the same time. And that's not even the challenging part! Even with the new fridge storing a 25 pound turkey and a 15 pound ham takes up a lot of room, and then there's all the accessory parts. But it's worth it in the end.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 5:12AM
Here's a question for everyone! What is the funniest Thanksgiving story you've ever heard or experienced? I read somewhere (maybe Houzz?) about a guest that was just trying to help when she turned the oven on AFTER the turkey was inside. She turned it on 'self-clean' which locked the oven and cooked the turkey at 700 degrees! Needless to say, they ate out that day!
2 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 5:33AM
olldroo
I know she did all the shopping on Saturday. It was also my grandson's 4th birthday on Sunday. I think she will go the Aussie way of very simple food nicely presented on a nicely decorated table. She has never cooked a turkey before, isn't even fussed about eating it so has just bought breasts instead of the whole bird which won't take as long to cook. No idea what else she is planning.
   November 19, 2012 at 5:53AM
olldroo
I used to make pumpkin pie a lot. I had two recipes, one was the American version the other an English version which had dried fruit in it but the mashed pumpkin made it really moist.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 6:04AM
They always remember the "off" stuff, don't they? :)) I have a GREAT recipe for a no bake pumpkin pie if anyone is interest, it is by far the best pumpkin pie I've ever tasted!
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 6:04AM
olldroo, that English version sounds good!
   November 19, 2012 at 6:05AM
mpoulsom
I've never really had a funny thanksgiving experience that I can remember....one of the most unusual ones, was when I was about 21-22, living in CA, and my roommates and I for some reason did not cook a turkey dinner. Still not sure what was happening around then, for us not to do it???
But it was great....we laid a picnic tablecloth down in the living room floor and ate hotdogs for thanksgiving with candles! :)

JENGA FIREPLACE;
ok girls...after brainstorming with my man about HOW to attach this wood to the brick, we came up with an idea that only insane artist people would do and it worked. We bought industrial strength velcro and attached some of the boards with a combo of velcro and liquid nails. I also used wood glue for some of the little little boards angled horizontially like tiny shelves. We DID screw the top mantle piece to the board underneath it running along the top.
It was VERY time consuming figuring out the puzzle however. But God was on our side as far as the boards that we bought and the spacing between the brick on the fireplace. It some how all measured out to work together with the combinations of varying board widths. Once we did the right bottom half, we then just repeated the pattern on the left but in mirror image. Then the top middle area was just random and funky. The side pieces (little bitty) were a pain to cut as well, the ones that wrap around towards the wall. After I got A.D.D. in home depot the other night, we talked, we decided, then went back to home depot at 10 minutes til 9pm and got the velcro and more glue. After we got back, the measuring and cutting began. We were brain dead by 12:30am and had to stop. I measured, marked and figured where the next piece would go, handed the wood to J and he went on the front porch to cut it. I velcroed/glued piece into place. Then went to the next.
We are going to put some sort of water base product all over it, but not sure how light or dark to go. Everything in the room is very white, bright and contemporary, oh yeah..AND GRAY because of all the cement. The floors are light bamboo. I hadn't really considered a dark stain initially, but what do you think? A dark walnut, or just natural looking? I don't want it to be too "gold, orangy, or red".... I thought about a grayish stain, but I don't think I have the balls to do a color color. Thought about that too. We have so much colorful art, that it kind of consumes that part of the decor. Plus if we decide to sell this house one year, I think a more natural color would be more appealing to "normal" people.
The pictures do NOT do it justice. It is so good-looking in person. It is modern, but warm and very unusual, which is what we like!!! It changes the entire room. Everything else was pretty contemporary all around it, except the fireplace and it just stuck out to me. (J was not going to go for any of my other elaborate ideas for the fireplace, and I knew it. Hence the reason for me not getting to this project sooner.) The kitchen is open to the living area and it's fairly mod in style. Not sterile, but you know what I mean.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 9:17AM
creeser
I love that you named it the Jenga fireplace. *L* I really love what you did with it and the fact that you came up with the idea! Love artists!
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 10:30AM
Rio Brewster
Post pics please!

After doing the "home away from home" Thanksgiving for 20 years, we are finally embracing the concept of eating out. For which I am very thankful!
2 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 11:43AM
mpoulsom
rio...are you talking about the jenga fireplace?
   November 19, 2012 at 12:06PM
Well, however you did it and whatever you call it, it looks good! I wish your pics enlarged!
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 12:26PM
mpoulsom
thanks honey!
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 1:11PM
creeser
mp... I'm saving your photos to show hubby. He's going to love it and may even rip out our fp and do this. *L*
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 1:41PM
mpoulsom
thanks creeser! he'll kill you though! lol! BUT if you wanna get rid of him for hours and days on end...that'll do it!
It really was worth the brainstorming though. You could do this same thing, but do it on a large piece of plywood as your base. And also, you could do it while the plywood is laying down flat and glue it well, then install it. We just wanted a way to do it directly to the brick. I threw a couple of J's paintings on top of the mantel last night and wow! AND now I can decorate for christmas on top of it too! YAY!
If you can't tell, it's been bugging me for a long time.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 1:55PM
olldcan
very cool mp, I like it. Might be giving my 90's golden oak with black marble catastrophe,the stare down.
2 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 3:29PM
olldroo
Love the fireplace, mp, boy you sure do have patience. Lucky you are both artists, I'm sure it would have been grounds for at least 7 divorces in other homes:) I think it would be nice natural, like the colour it is. It seems to go with the grey fine, and you don't want it screaming at you when you walk in the room - just a polite "look at me, aren't I special". I guess it is our climate here that doesn't inspire us to think dark which usually gives things a heavy look.

Olldbob, I will see if I can find the recipe for that English pie - I had a purge of all my cookbooks and it could have been in one I tossed.
   November 19, 2012 at 3:36PM
olldroo
Hi Rio Brewster - have you come to play?
   November 19, 2012 at 3:53PM
First married, did not know how to cook anything, had a crowd. Turkey, stuffing, gravy, home made cranberry sauce, sauteed mushrooms,peas were great! Left squash, green beans, turnip, mashed potatoes in the oven and did not find them for 5 days!

Beat that one!

Cutie Pie makes killer apple and mince pies.

Friday is our real holiday, now that the entire family has gone to heaven. The three of us have done this every year for 22 years. Mid afternoon, we head to Provincetown. Really just one main street, Commercial Street, but fun stores, coffee shops, etc. Then we head to this funky, wonderful restaurant, Napi's, have the same waitress every year. Anyone who wants to join us can just call and add their # to our reservation.

Think of us on Friday afternoon. You will know where we are. At the very tip of Cape Cod, about as far away from roo as anyone can be (at least in the U S). We will walk by these places you may be familiar with. house,Ideabook: My Houzz: A Summer Beach House Charms and Welcomes
Provincetown Shop by Becky Harris provincetown artist's studio renovation
Provincetown Cottage
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 3:54PM
Thanks olldroo!

judyg, you didn't find them for 5 days???? That sounds a lot like something I'd do. I made homemade cranberry sauce one year, followed a Martha Stewart recipe, it almost glued my cheeks to my tongue it was so sour!

I envy your Friday! And I will be thinking of you. Brat.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 4:01PM
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 4:58PM
olldroo
Oooooh, beam me up Scotty!!
   November 19, 2012 at 5:06PM
Rio Brewster
well we barbecued the turkey every year. And my DH was so proud to have cooked - even though I prepared the turkey and made stuffing, mac n'cheese, cornbread and sweet potatoes.

So the one year we had 40 people, DH ran out to get something and one of the turkeys caught fire. The grill is next to a large garden complete with hose. This guy - not too bright - comes running into the house - which was from across a huge deck, up stairs, through a covered porch, through the living and dining room and into the kitchen to tell me the turkey was on fire. I was in the middle of making everything else, there was nothing I could do. Just then DH comes back and ran down and put the fire out. The turkey was a little dryer than usual but still OK.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 6:22PM
olldroo
Welcome back Rio, now barbecue turkey, that really sounds civilized, the way we would do it. Had to read your story twice, I was visualising the guy running through the house with the hose, sort of Keystone Cops scenario.

I didn't realise your logo was actually a tile mural. Is that in your bathroom? Absolutely stunning.

We get turkey breasts here that are rolled into a log and very easy to bake and then they are simply sliced and can be served hot or cold. Can you get things like that? We usually get one for Christmas, although ham is more the preferred meat but it just adds some extra taste.
   November 19, 2012 at 8:18PM
olldroo
Hey, olldbob, nearly forgot to tell you, our builder called by today to check a few things and said he wanted us to get a new bath, we were going to keep the old one but as he has to take it right out he isn't happy about ensuring it doesn't get damaged and he feels we would be disappointed when everything else will be new. Anyway, we had to dash to the shops to get a new one and while I was there I checked out those floor plank tiles. They only had three colours but I just wouldn't know which one to choose they were all lovely. Actually when I saw the price, the choice was easy - $97 sq mtr - definitely off my agenda!!!!
   November 20, 2012 at 2:40AM
Rio, so you ended up with a crispy, soggy turkey? Eeew! Ok, so you're winning the Thanksgiving mishap so far! Last year my son offered to deep fry the turkey and came over on Thanksgiving day and said, oh, sorry, couldn't borrow the fryer, can you bake it? Oh sure! Everything else will be done in an hour, but those things can wait. Four hours, while the turkey bakes.....

ollroo, if you like the tiles, see if this guy will ship to Oz! He's in Canada and shipped my samples overnight, and shipped for free. www.builddirect.com
   November 20, 2012 at 3:16AM
michigammemom
judyg, Provincetown looks delightful...panoramic ocean views, quaint cottages and lovely gardens.
MP I am so intrigued by your Jenga fireplace technique. Does the Velcro run the whole length of each board?
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 3:25AM
olldroo
Olldbob, have nowhere to put them, I just had to comment on the price difference. I'm sure something like that, even if shipped for free, which I'm sure wouldn't be, would still attract all sorts of duty and goodness knows what and probably end up being dearer than in store. We just get screwed in all directions.

How could you deep fry a turkey??
   November 20, 2012 at 3:43AM
olldroo
Calling all OLLDs............... does anyone know how you can download a photo on a iPod to this site?
   November 20, 2012 at 3:45AM
Well give it time, olldroo, I'm sure it will become more widely available and cheaper as it settles into the market. iPod, no clue, sorry.
   November 20, 2012 at 3:46AM
creeser
No clue. Can barely operate a cell phone. :)
3 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 3:48AM
creeser
roo, my in-laws deep fry turkeys all the time. There are special turkey fryers for this. Propane fueled vats. You can't get the oil too hot, or you burn the outside and it's raw inside. It's really kind of a 'man thing'. Something they stand around outside talking 'man talk' and staring at the hot oil while it cooks. There's a new cooker they are all in love with called an infrared turkey fryer. Less oil is used.
   November 20, 2012 at 3:52AM
olldroo
I figured deep frying would toast the outside and leave the inside raw. Looks like the turkeys don't stand a chance over there. Our "man things" here are called "barbecues". Takes at least two to cook as they can only use one hand - the other has to hold the mandatory stubby.

Hey, what sort of a mood are y'all in? Check this out http://www.houzz.com/discussions/250120

Olldcan and I have already had our say. I love the "UFO".
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 3:58AM
Wow! Way over done on that room. I could never be comfortable in there and I couldn't wait for the meal to be done!
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 4:03AM
olldroo
Very Italian in my mind.

Did you see the feature the other week on a house those guys did in the desert? It was10,500 sq ft.!!!
Someone put a comment on that they had been searching for their crying baby for a week and still hadn't found it.
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 4:07AM
creeser
I don't think you have to worry about an alien invasion in that room. They'd get lost in the clutter or stuck in the muddiness of the room.

roo, we have our BBQs as well. A local favorite is called a pig pickin'. A hog is roasted over coals sometimes overnight. It's a great male bonding time. Beer, trucks and everyone's 'secret' sauce. Generally, the women wake up in the morning with some stupidity induced injury to bandage that always starts with "hey y'all... watch this!"
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 4:08AM
olldroo, I missed that post! But I did see one of a bathroom done in stainless steel, cold, sterile and the only comment I saw was "Is this where I get my flu shot?".

Creeser, I laughed my butt off at your comment! "hey y'all....watch this!"

I'm going to open 11/20 now!
   November 20, 2012 at 4:13AM
olldroo
Maybe the aliens actually live there.

Sounds like men are the same the world over. If it results in an all night bender it is amazing anything is still edible the next morning.
2 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 4:17AM
creeser
I am always concerned about the 'edible' part and what is the 'secret' in their secret sauce.
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 4:20AM
Have you guys seen Aja's post? Interesting on the chalk paint! Check it out (toward the bottom of all the remarks) http://www.houzz.com/discussions/250064/How-to-stain---paint-laminate-covered-bedroom
   November 20, 2012 at 4:21AM
olldroo
I missed the bathroom one - love the comment - but I have only just taken the the Dear Abbey columns to see what you lot have put on.

Yes, the watch this cracked me up too, I could just hear it. Made me think of a TV show on a channel I can't get yet, think it is called American Pickers. They had it on a normal channel for a few weeks and the stupidity of it cracked me up.
   November 20, 2012 at 4:21AM
creeser, eeeew!!!

olldroo, R hates that show!
   November 20, 2012 at 4:22AM
olldroo
This is the desert house - same mob did it as did the dining room

I just have to check those shows out to see how bad they can really be. Bit like the Kardashians.
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 4:26AM
olldroo
Creeser, maybe they drink the sauce and put the beer in. I'm sure they wouldn't know the difference.
   November 20, 2012 at 4:28AM
olldroo, I wall call that home "Vikrant in the desert", what do you think?
2 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 4:29AM
olldroo
Lingo barrier - don't get it.
   November 20, 2012 at 4:47AM
You don't remember the frequent commenter Vikrant? LOL appended to EVERY comment?
   November 20, 2012 at 4:51AM
Did you check the table leg for the guests sitting at the side end of table? That is called a wood wedgie.
   November 20, 2012 at 4:55AM
A wood wedgie??? Oh Lord.....
   November 20, 2012 at 4:58AM
olldroo
Bob - no I can't remember that one. Actually I used to go through the articles each week but didn't realise there were comments at the bottom for ages - didn't scroll that far..........DUH!!!!
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 5:08AM
Let's see if anyone else remembers Vikrant! I'm going to try and find a dilemma he posted so you can get an idea.
   November 20, 2012 at 5:10AM
   November 20, 2012 at 5:13AM
I remember Vikrant and miss his posts. Never knew if he were serious or not! The poor guy posted his front hall pix and asked…..oh, see bobbi posted it above. Stirred up a lot of trouble….much, much more than we ever do :>)
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 5:18AM
judy, your response to his foyer was a lot kinder than some of them! But thatbritishchap's response was def interesting!
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 5:22AM
olldroo
OMG!!!! Don't know who was the best Vikrant (with emphasis on the RANT) or the British bloke and his Knitting Convention. Yes I think it would definitely apply to the desert house except for the fact there are no Gods.
2 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 5:38AM
Well. like I said, I wasn't sure if it was a joke. Get into the ethnic thing and that can really get nasty. I never want anyone to ever call me on that! I did read some of the links he attached about money and how India views investing in things for the home decor. Those that have $$ over there, really have $$$$$$$!!!! I only know one Indian and he is very into money, expensive hold their value kind of furnishings, has a great financial advisement business. Although he is quite modest about his assets and that is why I thought Vikrant was pulling our leg. The worst about contact through the typed word is you can't read someone's expression. that's why I like :>).
   November 20, 2012 at 7:18AM
judee I agree. Many people who grow up without money equate it with power. We know someone from India in that situation, he's insecure and a bully. But it could be with any ethnicity, right? And you're right, comments, like email, have no "tone".
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 7:21AM
Rio Brewster
The turkey actually wasn't bad and we had two of them because it was such a big group. BBQ is the way to go! You don't even need gravy.

recipe:

Wash turkey and rub inside and out with salt and butter

Stuff with apples or onions - whole.

If you want to get fancy you can slip basil, rosemary or sage under the skin.

Turn breast side down. Cover the back side with strips of peppered bacon - the thicker the better
.
Hold them in place with wood toothpicks or those little metal stakes you are supposed to use to tie the legs together.

We used a weber grill. We took a large loaf pan and filled with apple cider then put in the bottom of the grill. Spread coals around the pan for indirect heat.

Cook 11 minutes per pound. You may need to refresh the coals periodically. The bacon bastes the turkey for you. It is divine! I almost miss it now...
   November 20, 2012 at 8:31AM
Rio Brewster
Yes the sunflower is a tile mural of a detail of a van gogh painting. The bathroom is still not quite done. We're in that phase of "Just get it done I don't care how you do it!" I'll post pictures in the next day or two.

Sigh - back to work - I'm suddenly busy again...
   November 20, 2012 at 8:34AM
Rio, the "just get it done I don't care how you do it" phase comes when you are physically exhausted and emotionally (and financially) bankrupt !! Been there, done that, got a T-shirt!
   November 20, 2012 at 8:36AM
Rio Brewster
Well not bankrupt - but we started back in september and it was only supposed to be two weeks.
Partly my fault because I wanted a special order tub that turned out to be too big, but still.

Yesterday they were supposed to mount all the towel racks and robe hooks. Our towel "rings" are really just open-ended racks, about 10 inches long. I left them on the vanity on the sides they were supposed to go and marked it with painter's tape.

We came home and they had mounted the towel racks as robe hooks with the bar facing up. I should have taken a picture - it looked so ridiculous.

It would've been funny if they weren't more than a month behind schedule and we are sharing a single working shower with our house guest.
   November 20, 2012 at 8:56AM
Two weeks! Two weeks! Isn't that what they promised Tom Hanks and Shelley Long, in The Money Pit? OH, renovation with a house guest....silly, silly you! But good luck to you! Post pics when you're done, ok?
   November 20, 2012 at 9:02AM
Rio Brewster
Hmm. Only saw that one once. Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House is sooo much better. Cary Grant is so much more - um - inspiring than Tom Hanks. LOL
   November 20, 2012 at 9:55AM
Inspiring? hehehe I'm not a Hanks fan, but I've seen The Money Pit so many times I know the dialog by heart. And when that bathtub falls thru the ceiling, I need Depends!
   November 20, 2012 at 9:58AM
mpoulsom
i love cary grant! have not seen the movie however...i'll have to look that up!
   November 20, 2012 at 11:37AM
MMMMSteve McQueen in Love with the proper stranger with Natalie Wood. That trench coat!
   November 20, 2012 at 12:22PM
Rio Brewster
It's classic. Anyone who has ever thought about building a house or doing remodeling needs to watch Mr. Blandings. The only thing that is dated is the amount of money everything costs.
   November 20, 2012 at 12:29PM
Ohhhh, Steve Mc!Queen....
   November 20, 2012 at 12:54PM
creeser
*handing biblets to the ladies to catch the McQueen drool*
2 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 12:55PM
And Matt Damon!! Don't forget him AND my biblet!
   November 20, 2012 at 12:56PM
creeser
Keep Matt Damon, give me Johnny Depp! ....and a biblet ....
   November 20, 2012 at 12:59PM
Ok, I'll take your Johnny Depp and up you one Dr. Spencer Reid!
   November 20, 2012 at 1:01PM
Rio Brewster
Johnny Depp, Gerard Butler and Antonio Banderas (particularly in Desperado.)

But I like the old movie stars. Like Peter OToole in Lawrence of Arabia - TOO gorgeous.
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 3:25PM
Wasn't Peter O'Toole also the Pink Panther? Can't remember, too lazy to Google it. I can name all the actors my hubby can't stand in alphabetical order:
Afleck, Ben
Banderas, Antonio
Cruise, Tom
and so on, and so on.....men are so jealous!
   November 20, 2012 at 3:30PM
mpoulsom
I'm a likin the Johnny DEEP! Always have liked Johnny Depp, and my fave is Andy Garcia! I seriously think he is the hottest thing. He just seems SWEET! And I think that Paul Newman was just gorgeous!
2 Likes   November 20, 2012 at 3:39PM
Rio Brewster
That was Peter Sellers. Not the same thing at al! Agree on Paul Newman. here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Peter_O'Toole_--_LOA_trailer.jpg/220px-Peter_O'Toole_--_LOA_trailer.jpg
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 3:50PM
Yep, you're right, I get the names confused. How about Edward Norton? Hubba hubba!
   November 20, 2012 at 4:03PM
hubba hubba? I thought R looked pretty o k, bobeee All right, OLLDS, we have to make up our minds and vote for the # 1 man that would never give us a second look, but we love, even though. My vote (now this is Hollywood and does not involve my C P) is….drum roll…poop! I forgot his name. I think he said, "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn." C G

That is the way I feel today. Anyone involved in the Fiscal Cliff discussion? I am very grumpy over Marq. Googled him and he is just an angry man who seems to have a LOT of time on his hands and gets involved in everything political. Poor Emily. I hope she gets paid a bundle. ( I wanted to say Marq, with a q? Get real !)
   November 20, 2012 at 7:01PM
olldroo
Y'all mean Rhett Butler aka Clark Gable??

I'll go Rock Hudson.
1 Like   November 20, 2012 at 7:30PM
Roo, honey, there would be no go with Rock.
   November 20, 2012 at 7:37PM
olldroo
I know that Dahling, give me another reason why he wouldn't look at me - other than the fact that like your's he is dead!
   November 20, 2012 at 7:44PM
olldroo, he was also gay! I think that's a pretty fair reason. Johnny Depp gets my #1 vote.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 2:05AM
olldroo
I know bob, that was my reason why he wouldn't choose me. Definitely can't think of any other - lol.
#2 Hugh Jackman.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 2:32AM
Oh, yeah, Hugh Jackman's a hubba! Also Matt Damon !
   November 21, 2012 at 2:38AM
creeser
Careful ladies. I'm going to have to bring in the water hose and cool you off! *L*
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 2:40AM
creeser, you're up early ! Good morning to ya !
   November 21, 2012 at 2:41AM
olldroo
Of course he's a hubba - he's an Aussie!!

Creeser - did you wet the bed????
   November 21, 2012 at 2:48AM
olldroo ! That's mean :))
   November 21, 2012 at 2:54AM
olldroo
It is a very common comment here when people get up early, people will even jokingly say it as an excuse - seriously.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 3:00AM
creeser
Good morning roo and bobbi! roo, I don't know which is worse, wetting the bed or having a cat determined to get you up. At least he didn't start at 3am this time.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 3:05AM
olldroo ok, you're forgiven!!!
   November 21, 2012 at 3:05AM
creeser, a friend of mine woke up to her cat next to her pillow, swatting at a spider which had webbed it's way down near her face! So, yep, wetting the bed wins!
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 3:07AM
creeser
I shut the bedroom door because the cats tease my little dog at night. They all sleep on the bed and the two cats try to edge him off. Eventually, he huffs and goes to the living room, but not after keeping me up all night. So I started leaving the 2 troublemakers in the living room, but the oldest one doth protest. Loudly. He claws at the bottom of the door and meows. Louder and louder. My only saving grace is my hearing is going.
2 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 3:11AM
creeser
....and if I woke up with a spider webbing me up, I WOULD wet the bed.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 3:12AM
To the garage ! With ALL of them ! hehehe Did you ever rescue the puppy and kitty?
   November 21, 2012 at 3:12AM
Yea, a spider over my head would def cause a bladder issue!
   November 21, 2012 at 3:13AM
creeser
We have no garage yet. It's in the plans. Hubby got burned out building the house.
Haven't caught them yet, but hubby finally saw them and has been putting out food. I saw the kitten by itself yesterday and it was eating in the road. I got it to move off and looked in the rear view mirror and it was heading back to the road and another car was behind me. It missed the poor thing, but I don't know if it stayed out of the road after that. Hate to go by there this morning. It'll make me cry if something has happened to one of them.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 3:16AM
Well, I hope you do catch them, they surely need a good home. Your hubby sounds like a kind hearted soul!
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 3:29AM
creeser
Thanks. I hope we do as well. He's got a slow day today, so getting his crews out and spending the rest with me. We're going car shopping and while we're out, we're going to check on the puppy and kitten. When we get our stuff done, we're going to pick up the grandbaby and she's spending the rest of the day and evening with us while her momma and daddy go to a reunion.
   November 21, 2012 at 3:33AM
Here's tip for car shopping - you'll get your best deal the last day of the month. Sales people have quotas, and they're more anxious to make a deal that day than any other day. And if it's raining that day, even better ! Have fun with your grandbaby !
   November 21, 2012 at 3:36AM
creeser
Ohhh... good tip! Thank you! That should fit in with hopefully getting one next week.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 3:37AM
olldroo
Hey, want a good spider story?? We have huge huntsmen spiders that are harmless but are very active in spring. They get in the house and also love cars. Well one morning I was driving to the bus to get to work and half way there just got a really cold feeling that I had one in the car. Couldn't immediately see it so just kept going as fast as I legally could, got to the bus stop, parked the car, checked again, found nothing so locked the car up hoping it would go during the day. Got to work and about 1/2 hour later daughter rang to tell me she had had a car accident - just her 2nd day in her first job. She was driving along in slow traffic when suddenly a huntsman dropped from the ceiling straight down the front of her blouse and in panic she didn't notice the traffic stop and went straight into the back of a truck in front. Driver rushed back to check my daughter was ok and found her dancing around in the middle of the road pulling her shirt out of her skirt and shaking it. All she could say was "spider, spider". Never found where it got to, but she missed work that day and was without a car for 2 weeks. Of course she didn't expect the response she got from me when she told me what had happened - I just yelped "It was in YOUR car, no wonder I couldn't find it in mine" The next day a woman went through the front fence of a nearby home and did quite a bit of damage but she was ok - yep another spider.
   November 21, 2012 at 4:03AM
Oh that is so gross !! I couldn't handle that for one New York minute! My mother got rear-ended by this poor guy in a station wagon with six kids and one bee !!!
   November 21, 2012 at 4:08AM
Rio Brewster
No spider stories! Eeek. I'll stick with Cary Grant - who started the whole thing.
   November 21, 2012 at 7:56AM
How big is this spider? I was just thinking about moving to Australia (all churned up over that fiscal cliff post) and now the cliff is looking like the better choice!
   November 21, 2012 at 8:47AM
One name that will NEVER hit my hottie list is Marlon Brando. A legend in his own mind.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 8:56AM
And you would never understand him with the Marlon "speak" when he told you that you were the most gorgeous woman on the planet. Remember? "I cudda been somebody…I was a condenda"
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 9:01AM
Baby, I'm still a condenda !
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 9:12AM
Rio Brewster
and Jack Nicholson is another one that was supposed to be so sexy and I just never saw it.
   November 21, 2012 at 9:42AM
Nope, Jack Nicholson not for me either. Harrison Ford BEFORE his mid-life crisis, oh yeah.
   November 21, 2012 at 3:05PM
olldroo
Too funny Rio, blame the spiders on Clark Gable!!! Just come on for the day and reading this in one hit is hilarious when you realise how one word can send the conversation off on a totally different tangent.

Yuk, yuk, yuk to Jack Nicholson. There is something about his smile that is sooooooo sleezy to me, I can't handle it and won't even watch his movies - which is a pain when I believe some of them are very good.

Huntsmans grow to about 6" diameter. The best thing about them is that they love cockroaches, so having a few around the house is very beneficial. Check them on Wikipeadia or here
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Huntsman-Spiders

Judy, we really have the most amazing wildlife here but they are definitely an acquired taste offset by our glorious countryside and (mostly) beautiful weather.

I'm not going near the Fiscal Cliff, have absolutely no idea what it is all about but doesn't sound like fun.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 6:04PM
It is one of the most unpleasant threads, and I can't leave it alone. Poor Emily. olldbob, is she the only moderator? If you google some of these commenters, you will see that this is all they do,,,,fight and be nasty, no life, hide behind anonymity. What is wrong with a person who does this? Girls just want to have fun
   November 21, 2012 at 7:25PM
Roo, that sucker needs a saddle. The biggest spider I encounter here is about the size of my index fingernail. And that happens once a year, maybe.

Sydney/ Cairns, was where my daughter was, white water rafting and scuba diving. She was living in Japan, US Navy, and wanted to travel to places she thought she may never be again. Loved every minute there.
   November 21, 2012 at 7:35PM
olldroo
Bet they have no BFFs. Wonder at their age group, my niece is 27 and is really over all her old school chums that were BFFs for many years but suddenly it is like they haven't grown up and they don't know how to mix with people or make conversation. They live on FaceBook seemingly to make snide remarks to and about each other or any one else who comes into their radar. Maybe it is a low self esteem thing????

I got an email yesterday that quoted Einstein "I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots". It then showed a bunch of photos titled 'meeting friends for lunch' 'a day at the beach' 'sightseeing', etc but everyone in the photos was on iPhones/iPods or similar. Maybe the art of interacting is getting lost.

Maybe I should go on and tell them to put it in their turkey and baste it!!!
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 7:43PM
olldroo
Judy, your're not going to tell me you jump at one that size are you???? We wouldn't even see them.

Well as a Sydney girl I won't argue there, but I also love Cairns - just not in the summertime. If you ever get a chance to go there, don't stay in Cairns itself but on their northern beaches, particularly Palm Cove. Paradise!!!!!
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 7:48PM
Your spider is as big as our lobster.
   November 21, 2012 at 7:56PM
olldroo
You are kidding me - do you starve your lobsters. Ours would fall of a large plate.
   November 21, 2012 at 8:04PM
Rio Brewster
Politics is so ugly here right now. And facebook et al only magnifies the problem because no one feels accountable for anything they say.

I read an article that people keep slamming FB over the timeline thing because they are horrified that some of the things they said years ago are public.

Thing is - they were always public. Just not easily accessible. Generation of Idiots indeed.
   November 22, 2012 at 7:19AM
olldroo
Trouble is Rio, no one is accountable for anything these days!!!.

Did you know too that if you Google Rio Brewster, everything you have put on this site will come up? It is also accessible through the San Fran Chronicle. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!!!!!!
   November 22, 2012 at 1:12PM
Rio Brewster
That's why I'm RioBrewster. You didn't think that was my real name did you?
   November 22, 2012 at 5:56PM
olldroo
Well we ain't lived this long not to know things:)
   November 22, 2012 at 11:28PM
The main reason I am not on FB is I don't want anyone looking at my face. Some old boyfriend chuckling and guffawing at the sight! That's why I will be cremated…I want no one looking down and gazing in horror at what happened because I lived long enough to know things. :>)
   November 23, 2012 at 7:11AM
In your case, judyg, totally understandable. My sympathies to your survivors.
   November 23, 2012 at 8:16AM
mpoulsom
judyg....screw old boyfriends! ;) they are always the ones that have the regrets! trust me! i'm headed over to today's lady talk!
1 Like   November 23, 2012 at 8:17AM
GIRLS, bobee is pickin' on me.
1 Like   November 23, 2012 at 8:39AM
mpoulsom
you 2! cracking me up!
1 Like   November 23, 2012 at 10:45AM
OLLD 11/19
It's Saturday! Yea!!! What are the big weekend plans??? roo,...
OLLD11/11/13
HAPPY VETERANS DAY Are there any veterans out there....
OLLD 11/11
Good morning and happy Veterans Day! I was thinking....you...
Refrigerator help! Way to fit in a larger one without a total re-do?
Looking for some advice/suggestions on how I can get...
Need help arranging the tiles I've chosen.
I've chosen white, beveled, 4x8 subway tiles for my...
Keep, replace or turn into lamps?
Any thoughts about the two blue vases? I got them because...
Do I need a Pantry Cabinet for resale?
Purchased a 3 BR 2 B coach home condo in Naples, FL....