Need help with fun Space!
newbie1001
This home has a really fun living room space with a wall of windows, but I have no idea what colors to use on the walls and in the furniture. The previous owners went very 'retro', but that is not really my style. Any suggestions?
houssaon
Is this your furniture? (I love that sofa.) If not what are your colors?

It is a modern house, so paint is not going to make it something different.
November 19, 2012 at 7:08am   
newbie1001
Not my furniture. It belongs to the previous owners. I have no idea how to go about 'designing' a space. I have never done anything more than hang a couple random pictures on my walls and call it good. I asked about paint because I have only ever rented before and this will be my first chance to have something other than white walls! I just have no idea how to start. Currently, I have no colors in particular in mind, but I do like colors that make the space feel warm and inviting. I have no furniture for this space yet and am in the process of trying to decide what to get.
November 19, 2012 at 7:13am   
Aggie Purvinska
are you the one with the purple door idea? Bring the purple in the sunny living room with very light subtle greys and taupes.

I think paint the window frames almost white, walls almost white, the carpet works, or could be replaced with light gray engineered hardwood, if it's in the budget. You can even re-use the couches and re-upholster them in a Grey Linen, you can bring in purple in accents.

Beautiful house! Very stylish for todays trendy midcentury design revival!

[houzz=Mid-Century Modern Home]

[houzz=Caterpillar House]

[houzz=Mid-Century Modern Addition, Truro]
November 19, 2012 at 7:14am     
Aggie Purvinska
Oh sorry , I didn't read it was not your style, still you can go with contemporary mid century without the retro palette....it would be more Scandinavian, I guess.
November 19, 2012 at 7:21am   
newbie1001
I am the purple door person! Thanks for all the ideas and pictures! Really helpful!
The flooring is something I will definitely consider in the future! We'll have to save up, but I think it would look nice!
November 19, 2012 at 7:22am     
newbie1001
Also, don't be sorry! I honestly have no real idea about what my 'style' is. All I really know is that I want my home to feel warm and inviting to people, and be a place where I can relax and feel at home.
November 19, 2012 at 7:25am     
newbie, since you don't really know what your style is right now, may I suggest you search Houzz photos using "family room" as your search term? Then you can create an ideabook of all the pictures you like. When you think you're done, go back and review your ideabook, you will probably find many common elements in the pictures you've selected. You can take it from there !
November 19, 2012 at 8:17am     
greenthumb2
Yes, make yourself an idea book or two on houzz. It will help you define what you are drawn to in living spaces; lines, fabrics, colors, textures, materials....it's so helpful, as are the individuals here.
November 19, 2012 at 8:29am     
houssaon
Can you get us more shots of the room to see all the walls? I love your house. Good luck.

One thing to think about. If the top windows are not double pane, I would replace them with clear glass energy efficient windows.
November 19, 2012 at 8:37am   
newbie1001
Thanks for all the great ideas! I will get more photos up soon! I can use all the help I can get!
November 19, 2012 at 9:55am   
Need Help Creating Fun Outdoor Space.
My back is all grass. Need ideas on how to decorate...
My new condo needs to be more fun, more space, lighter, happier
Help! At 120 years old, this South End Boston condo...
Need help making basement a fun girly teen room AND a man den
We have 2 girls ages 13 and 10. They need a room to...
Need help with designing a fun teen video gaming hangout.
Tired of the paneling (it is staying for now) and...
What is your favorite white to use in open great room with vaulted ce
Be drown leather, reclaimed wood tables and deep gray...
I hate this room! It's my playroom/ eating area I want to make it awes
There is a refrigerator round kitchen table small couch...
Design can change as you need .
We have own designer , can Design a unique design for...
Bathroom Design Help
Hi guys. We're renovating an old house and are having...