Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goosefairy

Micro Entry Issue

goosefairy
11 years ago
Ok Houzzers, if y'all can't come up with some ideas for this I don't think anyone can.

You can see from the two pictures the size of my entryway. Pretty much non-existent. I need this area to be functional. I need a mail collection system for 3 people, a place for keys and immediate paper recycling for junk mail. The current trash basket holds the junk mail and also the plastic sleeves from the newspaper which my husband uses for "doggy duty" when he walks the dog. It would be nice to have a way to store those at the door as well.

The art work does not have to stay, I don't need paint color options just some way to make it functional. I also don't have any other way to show this area as the door opens directly onto the wall - no room behind the door for squat. The second picture is taken from the stairs. I want to keep the table to the right cleared of mail and junk so I don't want to use it.

I guess you can see why I'm stumped. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• charleee
    11 years ago
    I would look at getting a slim and narrow shelving unit, and putting baskets in it to make it functional. This one is a bit pricey, but it will give you an idea of what I mean: [houzz=
    Revolving Bookcase · More Info
    ]
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    How about:
    Metal Wall Basket · More Info
    Wall Mounted Magnetic Organizer in Espresso by Umbra® · More Info
    Seagrass 3 Tier Wall Basket · More Info
    Metal Basket Shelf · More Info
    or
    Wood Wall Pockets · More Info
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    You could also put up a series of shelves the width of the area and the depth of the niche and paint them to match the wall, but with semi-gloss paint. Usually lumber stores will cut the wood you buy to fit. Put the plastic sleeves in a nice basket and the recycling in a covered basket on the floor.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Wall pockets already mentioned. Ballard Designs carries some nice ones. If the area to the right of the post can be used, I suggest over the narrow table. Then for the recycling I would add a nice looking basket/hamper under the table. World Market has a wide selection.
  • goosefairy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I like the idea of the wood wall pockets. Maybe that with a combination of a shelf with a basket for the plastic and the basket on the floor for the recycling. I also really like the look of the magnetic wall organizer since there's room for the keys there. Very nice.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Here's are a couple of inspirations for a space about the size of yours. Just put a couple of baskets underneath for plastic sleeves and junk mail.
    Historic House · More Info

Mudroom & Laundry Room Makeover · More Info
  • goosefairy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @decoenthusiaste, those are both really nice. I especially like the bench although I'm not sure there would be room in my space for that. I think the archway only juts out about an inch or two.
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    Everything is okay but please do away for privacy's sake and safety's sake with the glass front door. You can have a wooden door with some windows up top.
  • goosefairy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    No worries @nevadan. That's actually the storm door. We have a regular solid wood door in addition, it's just open in those pictures.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    How about a sofa table that would jut out into the room? Or a bench placed perpendicular to the door? Can't tell if it would work from the photos.
  • goosefairy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @pcmom1 - that's the problem with this - there is no room. I want functionality AT the door not in the next room. I'm tired of mail getting scattered in the rest of the house and want to keep it localized in one place. The entry into the living room is probably ~3' wide - like a regular doorway without the door. There is just no space for any actual furniture - it has to be located on that small strip of wall and not jutting out too far or it will just get knocked into. The stairs are directly opposite the door so there's no wall there. I'll try to get another shot so y'all can see the limited space I'm working with.

Also, I forgot to reply to your earlier comment, the space over the table in the living room is filled with artwork. I also want that table kept mainly clear.