Kitchen Cabinets - Paint, glaze or just replace?
whitlevy
I think these cabinets are perhaps maple? The fronts and framing are solid wood but the sides and interiors are plastic fake wood as can be seen easily in 4th photo which is of the back of the cabinets that is seen from my living room (yuck!). I have never really liked the wood color and am considering painting them all Benjamin Moore White Chocolate and leaving the black granite tops but painting is a big job with so many and painter said the paint wont stick to the plastic parts, which would then remain that "natural" color (he said he could cover outsides doing beadboard or something, but not drawers or cabinet interiors). Another thought would be to use just a glaze, but I don't know much about how that works. Has anyone done just a milky white or grey glaze over existing finish on cabinets like these? Would that be as difficult as painting them? And where do I find professionals in glazing techniques in Houston?

Thank you in advance for your recommendations!
missymo
The interior of your cabinets, and the sides are quite possibly a laminate, which is a good choice to keep cabinets light weight at installation and easy to clean. It looks like the bar has not been backed.
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 10:12AM
One option for the back of the base cabinets could be finished off better with adding some moldings and higher end paneling so they don't look so plain as seen from the living room.

1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 10:18AM
missymo
http://www.cardellkitchens.com/

This is the link to your brand of cabinets. You could contact a dealer near you to find missing pieces from the bar.
1 Like   November 19, 2012 at 10:24AM
whitlevy
Yes they are - sorry to not use correct term and that makes sense, I'm just worried that they will look strange when open if they are not white. I also have glass front cabinets in the butlers pantry with same issue.

As you said, none of the outside of the cabinets were finished with wood which makes it look very cheap - there are 11 separate laminate surfaces on the outside edges of cabinets, the island and the bar. This is an 8 year old kitchen though so I don't think I can match wood now without re-doing all. Is that right?
0 Likes   November 19, 2012 at 10:25AM
Kitchen remodel- forego (or at least wait) on the island?
We're knocking out half of a wall into our den, so...
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...
Anyone have opinions about Duravit toilets?
I like the Duravit D Code toilet line. Does anyone...
Need help for my kitchen
I am in the process of renovating my kitchen. I want...