Building permit
ilau1
Do we have to ask the general contractor to get a building permit for just finishing a basement ? he said we did not need a building permit if you're not adding any additions into your basement but we are wondering if he's trying to cut corners.
Aggie Purvinska
You are responsible to pay the building permit fee, so I don't think hes cutting corners in the classic builder cutting corners (getting cheaper materials for the same price etc.) sense. Normally you do not need permits for cosmetic renovation.
    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:04AM
HI -- Be for aware of any contractor that says that . Talk to a few more contractors because a permit wil protect you and it helps to make sure the job gets done properly. Check with your city building permit office and see what permits you will need and get the permits yourself. You may need seperate permits for the structure , the plumbing and the electrical etc.Please be careful of the contractors - go with someone that has a good reputation - so you will have to shop around a bit ,and do your homework .
1 Like    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:07AM
houssaon
Ditto what lefty47 says.
    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:09AM
Charn Karnchanaphati
I would suggest that the contractor to pull the permit. That will reassure that everything is up to county building codes. Good luck. C.K.
    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:10AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Depending upon the scope of the work, a permit might not be needed, however I think that is actually rare. I can't think of a single case where we did a basement that didn't need a permit.
    Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:18AM
Linda
In my area, you are supposed to get a permit for most building work. Granted, a great majority of home owners don't get permits for interior work (including the basement work I did on my own house), but technically, it is required.

Finishing off a basement here would require a building permit and also an electrical permit. If you are doing a bathroom or laundry room, you would need a plumbing permit for that as well. Anything that involves the removal, alteration, or addition of framing, insulation or drywall requires a permit. The only work permitted without an electrical permit is changing out light fixtures and light switches--you're supposed to buy a $65 electrical permit to change out a 25 cent outlet. We are allowed to install cabinetry, shelving and flooring without a permit
    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 12:04AM
Waiting on building permit .to start construction of...
trinityashe
Sleeping Porch Conversion
I live in a 1914 Craftsman Bungalow and would like...
tomquas
Anyone have experience with hypertufa?
I was thinking about getting started on making the...
Karen Pease
Need help with front door color and updated curb appeal
We just had a new black roof put on our house as evidenced...
huey6
Front door
For comfort, energy reasons, and curb appeal we need...
kelly61413
how do you decide which wall would be an accent wall?
Had a house fire in 10/15/14 i have chosen my colors...
dka1979
Updating exterior?
Anyone have advice on updating the exterior? We would...
goodkleenfun
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
kids room with living room sofa
i need using one room in two issues as akids room plus...
Muhammad Refaie