Updating an old fireplace
lizandtim
This is one of the first things you see coming into the house. Need some ideas to decorate it please.
Shawn Lagemann
Cool fireplace. First I'd hang the picture over the firebox opening and not centered on the wall. Then treat the "void" verticle section seperately. Like 2 smaller square art pieces hanging one above the other close together. Then fill the lower portion from the floor level. A large ceramic piece, or a large metal vase with twigs or stems taller in stature. Look for an uplight to put behind the vase or ceramic pot. They sit on the floor with a small flood bulb in it, they are about 6" high with a switch to turn it off and on. They cost under $15 and can ass some great shadows and texture to the stone.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 5:12AM
This one is very similar to yours for an idea: [houzz=
]
    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 5:35AM
nomadkath
take picture on the stone over the fireplace down. paint cream wall a closer value to the stone to attract less attention to the wall, long low bookcase to right of fireplace to extend and balance hearth bulk. the dark/light contrast is what draws your eye, so if you don't want the fireplace to be the only focal point, maybe something lovely on the coffee table, or put some color or pattern on the window treatments to pull your attention around the room. I agree with Shawn....some twigs, dried or natural material in vase would warm up and soften the overall effect.
    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 6:39AM
HI --- I love the fireplace !! Please don't do anything to the fireplace , it's fine , it's the walls you need to do something to. Take the painting off and don't hang anything on it . Just have something tall and thin on the left side like a tall vase or pottery piece and a couple of interesting bare branches. Your furniture style /decor doesn't really go with the fireplace , that is what's maybe not looking right to you . If you add some textured wall paper (Linen or a fine grass cloth look) to the walls or paint a warmer richer color , then that would help. Also think about updating your window coverings to drapes , scarf swags are somewhat out of fashion now. Anyway the fireplace is the real star in the room.
    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 7:06AM
This sculpture reminded me of flames and came from Etsy.com. Think something like it to the left of the FP opening would be stunning.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 7:38AM
bhelmore
I would like glass doors facing the room (rather than the gathered screen that is there now), and a fixed glass panel next to the wing chair. Try to pick up the neutral colors in the fireplace for your walls. Cream is not the way to go - more of a taupe would make the fireplace less visible.

Either hang a larger picture directly centered over the fireplace, or skip it all together and put something tall on the side as suggested above. It could be a sculpture, a long picture, but do something with color - even a fern on a tall stand would be pretty.
    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 8:19AM
lizandtim
Thanks for all the comments. Im glad you dont feel I need to paint it. I love the sculpture ideas and a taupe wall color. I know the drapes and mesh screen have to go. Would you put anything above the flat glass panel side/
    Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 9:32AM
Fireplace needs updating.
I need suggestions on updating this old fireplace....
jcrabb5
What Should We Leave to the Experts?
My husband and I just bought our first home about a...
alerval
Double storey void - no personality - help!
We have a double storey void. The room has an abundance...
lanijett
Outdated fireplace
Give me some ideas. The fire box is operable. I'd...
shelbyjudd
1970's Gas fireplace needs updating. Want TV above fireplace.
We would like advice regarding our early 1970's gas...
tantacatho
Please help declutter/redeisgn my L Shaped Living Room/Dining Room!
Hi Everyone! We've been living in our house for a...
Tania Orenstein
TV, cable boxes and wires with odd wall space.
The dilemma is how to hide or get rid of all the cable...
lisamanzo
Plans / blueprints for Cottage
We're starting the process of building a guest house...
zenmodbelle
Decor for kids room
Should I make this?
swishjen000
Could I create a very eclectic room?
I have a stupid country room and am wondering if I...
Ann