Small kitchen help!
hjh5673
We just took down the walls enclosing our kitchen. Now we don't know how to redesign it. As you can see from the pictures it is very small and so is our dining room. Any thoughts and suggestions would be a help... we do plan on moving the sink to where the fridge is and putting in a window.
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi hjh5673!
It looks to me like your kitchen has a lot of white going on, cabinets, tile, counters. White is good for brightening up a small space, but now that your kitchen is very open, so much white isn't really necessary anymore. A nice way to make your kitchen more special would be to replace the white tile backsplash with something more fun and unique. I see you have a half wall dividing your kitchen space from the dining space. If you're feeling adventurous, you could even continue the backsplash tile onto the half wall. The picture below is a tile with an iridescent finish, which would reflect light beautifully.
November 20, 2012 at 10:05am   
City Cabinet Center, San Diego
Are you willing to knock the rest of the pony way down and make a long L shape kitchen with an island? You can move the sink to the center of the current fridge wall and make a window. Keep the range in the same area and have the fridge to the left of that. That would give you a backwards L. Maybe add a small island or even a nice mobile island with a wood top.
November 20, 2012 at 10:06am     
hjh5673
Thanks City Cabinet. I think that is a great idea! We do want an island.
November 20, 2012 at 10:13am   
pcmom1
I love it when the dining table is in front of the fireplace! Such a warm and romantic spot to eat!

Take everything off the mantel and put that great picture of bottles hanging above, or leaning on, the mantel. Clear out clutter from corners. Place table on a round carpet to catch spills. Add a large, shallow wooden bowl to center of table to hold apples or seasonal decor.

Sofa can stay pretty much in same spot, only flip it to face in opposite direction. Place a narrow sofa table behind it. This can serve as a buffet area for the table to hold food, extra napkins, a wine rack on the bottom. You get the idea!

Then where table had been: I would add an overhang to the kitchen bar area and add three stools. To the wall where bottle picture had been add some tall swedish wood shelving. Love the looks of those and they aren't expensive. You can usually find them at Home Depot or Lowes. If not, search online. Great for holding nice looking extra pantry items: Pelligrino, wine, baskets of pasta, nice serving trays, etc.

Also great for holding those extra appliances seldom used (that could help in your kitchen?). In kitchen clear as much as possible from the counters. A real big bang for buck is changing out door pulls. Do something contemporary in nickel. Get yourself a nice looking rectangular trash can with lid to replace the one you have.
November 20, 2012 at 10:55am     
deanalee123
pcmom1 I love your advice! Do you have any for me? :)
November 20, 2012 at 11:43am   
Hi, do you have pictures showing what is going on opposite to the fireplace wall ? I could see some drastic change depending on how the space is organized.
November 20, 2012 at 11:59am   
hjh5673
The front door is across from the fireplace. I had thought about turning the whole area into a kitchen and dining room but we do like to relax in front of the fireplace and I thought it might be a little weird to walk in and be in the dining room? I had also thought about combing the kitchen and dining room into just a kitchen and splitting the living room and half and have two chairs in front of the fireplace and the dining table behind that but again you would be walking into the dining room.
November 20, 2012 at 1:27pm   
Recessing lighting placement on large covered patio
I have attached a diagram of how I think the lighting/fans...
Paint color suggestions for exterior of my new fixer-upper home.
I just purchased this house and it needs a lot of work....
Floors?
I'm thinking of putting down wood look tile where the...
Bored with my loung room- need help pls!!
Hello Experts, I need help with my loung please! The...
How to design an ad-on room into a patio room
We purchased an older mobile home in Capitola in a...