paint to compliment maple floors
cstone1319
November 20, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a dark rancher with southern exposure and maple floors. I need a white paint color that will illuminate the smallish rooms tied in with hallway. Is Decorator white a good choice? I'd like suggestions for whites that are not too warm.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Noz As A Service
I LOVE Decorator White. It's a pretty, versatile, neutral white -- not too warm. Do the smaller rooms tied in with the hallway also have southern exposure?
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 6:02PM
cstone1319
No, other rooms off the hallway have western light..............it's tricky choosing whites for the western exposed rooms. I love Decorator White on my ceilings and moldings and doors. Therefore, a slightly tinted white looks good next to the molding.

What white should I use in the western rooms? I'm looking at BM bone white, sail cloth, and winds breath, or SW crushed ice. The BM colors are warmer than the SW. I keep looking at my samples at every time of day. It's a hard choice.

Undecided, thanks for your thoughts.
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 9:50PM
houssaon
As a general rule for southern and western exposures use cool tones for east and north warm tones.

I always use Benjamin Moore personally for over 30 years, so I'm partial to that brand.

Look at Navajo White OC-95 Paint. Here is a room with Navajo White on the walls and Dove White on the trim: Lakemont. I did a room with Navajo on the walls and a bright white and really liked it.

If you look the BM web for decorators white there is a chart of "more shades" the next shade up is Benjamin Moore Wickham Gray HC-171. Of course that is gray and you might not want gray. See it in a Martha O'Hara room: Minnesota Residence 2 Family Room. This designer used it with Dove White, another popular white: White Dove OC-17 by Benjamin Moore Compare this to Decorator's White: Decorator's White CC-20 by Benjamin Moore which is whiter. white down OC-131 Paint has a smokey tint to it, but it is still white and not a yellow white. These cabinets were painted White Down: Bright & Crisp Kitchen
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 11:16PM
cstone1319
The front room is northern exposure and dark. The rooms off the hallway are western exposure. The family room is southern exposure. And, all of your examples and paint samples are extremely helpful. Thank you so much.
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 3:47PM