Bathroom Remodel
Lindsey Gorney_Townsend
I have MS and we are remodeling our master bathroom with an eye towards perhaps needing it to be ADA accessible in the future. Our contractor added new doors to the potty room, and because of the design of the new Toto toilet, one of the doors is actually non-functional. It opens in and hits the toilet. I do not think this is acceptable and want him to redo the doors and make them smaller so that both can be used. Can anyone give me their opinion on best practices here? Thanks!
Lindsey Gorney_Townsend
Door hits potty as you enter. Would this be standard industry practice?
November 21, 2012 at 9:45am   
olldcan
Geeze, really. NO, I would not accept this either and have a tough time thinking that your Contractor would accept this in his home either.
You have a couple of options here.
1. Doors re-hinged so they swing out of the bathroom not towards the potty.
2. Install wide barn or pocket style door. They can be on the heavier side so watch for that.
November 21, 2012 at 9:52am   
olldcan
Just noticed something else that really ticks me off. Once in the potty room, there is NOT enough room to comfortably turn a wheelchair around and be able to be out of the way of the door, to even shut it. So accessing this room by backing into it is not an option either. Maybe the Contractor needs to sit in a wheelchair and see how well this potty room actually functions, the dude has no clue!!!!
November 21, 2012 at 9:58am   
Baltimore Architectural Detail LLC
No it is not standard practice, it is in fact a code fail in many areas. What is behind the door, I am guessing the shower.... Sounds like ADA compliance hit his brain after floorplan layout...
November 21, 2012 at 10:02am   
When my in-laws converted a small first floor powder room into a wheelchair--accessible full bathroom with shower, they replaced what had been a door on hinges with a pocket door. I'm not usually a fan of pocket doors for bathrooms, but in this case it was essential.
November 21, 2012 at 10:02am   
ct design studio
The turning radius for a wheelchair is 5 ft so this fails in more than 1 way. I'm going to have to agree with the other either hinging out or a pocket door are your options at this point. Replacing the doors with smaller ones would also mean making the doorway smaller. You can decide how much you want him to redo but this is certainly not acceptable. If the time comes the door may have to come off to accommodate a wheelchair. Or a shower wheelchair could be used in the bath, although it's more transfers. Good luck!
November 21, 2012 at 10:26am   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You are very fortunate to have enough space to even consider remodeling for accessibility. Most of the toilet closets we see would be impossible to work with. Unless there is a lot more space than we can see in the picture, you probably are not going to get 5' in all directions to work with. The shower wheelchair may be a good option to work with as they are generally smaller.

The doors can swing out, but with a wheelchair this is generally considered to be too hard to turn around, move forward until you can reach the knob and actually try to back up closing the door. A pocket door would be much better than an outswing door. Depending on what else is around, a face slider might be an option, but my gut feel is that while it would be out of the way it would be difficult to operate as well. In a master bath, since the bedroom door can be locked for privacy, you may want to consider no doors at all. This certainly would be a simple, affordable solution.
November 21, 2012 at 11:40am   
kitchen remodel floor refinishing and 2 Bathroom Remodels
We have small Bathrooms and want to make best use of...
Remodeling bathroom shower to up date bathroom.
Shower is 5x3 in a 8x5 bathroom. What is the best...
Narrow Bathroom Remodel, Guest bathroom with Beach Color Theme
This is my second bathroom that I have improved. It...
remodel bathroom(s)
I need to remodel very small bathrooms in home.
what would you suggest for this kitchen !! :)
Would you tear out the left side pantry or paint? ...
New House Practically Blank Slate
Just moved into new house--open concept living, dining,...
"Need opinions on kitchen"
I am getting mixed reviews from friends and family...
Window Well
We have a window well for our rec room in the basement...