Bathroom Remodel
Lindsey Gorney_Townsend
I have MS and we are remodeling our master bathroom with an eye towards perhaps needing it to be ADA accessible in the future. Our contractor added new doors to the potty room, and because of the design of the new Toto toilet, one of the doors is actually non-functional. It opens in and hits the toilet. I do not think this is acceptable and want him to redo the doors and make them smaller so that both can be used. Can anyone give me their opinion on best practices here? Thanks!
Lindsey Gorney_Townsend
Door hits potty as you enter. Would this be standard industry practice?
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 9:45AM
olldcan
Geeze, really. NO, I would not accept this either and have a tough time thinking that your Contractor would accept this in his home either.
You have a couple of options here.
1. Doors re-hinged so they swing out of the bathroom not towards the potty.
2. Install wide barn or pocket style door. They can be on the heavier side so watch for that.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 9:52AM
olldcan
Just noticed something else that really ticks me off. Once in the potty room, there is NOT enough room to comfortably turn a wheelchair around and be able to be out of the way of the door, to even shut it. So accessing this room by backing into it is not an option either. Maybe the Contractor needs to sit in a wheelchair and see how well this potty room actually functions, the dude has no clue!!!!
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 9:58AM
Baltimore Architectural Detail LLC
No it is not standard practice, it is in fact a code fail in many areas. What is behind the door, I am guessing the shower.... Sounds like ADA compliance hit his brain after floorplan layout...
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 10:02AM
When my in-laws converted a small first floor powder room into a wheelchair--accessible full bathroom with shower, they replaced what had been a door on hinges with a pocket door. I'm not usually a fan of pocket doors for bathrooms, but in this case it was essential.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 10:02AM
ct design studio
The turning radius for a wheelchair is 5 ft so this fails in more than 1 way. I'm going to have to agree with the other either hinging out or a pocket door are your options at this point. Replacing the doors with smaller ones would also mean making the doorway smaller. You can decide how much you want him to redo but this is certainly not acceptable. If the time comes the door may have to come off to accommodate a wheelchair. Or a shower wheelchair could be used in the bath, although it's more transfers. Good luck!
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 10:26AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You are very fortunate to have enough space to even consider remodeling for accessibility. Most of the toilet closets we see would be impossible to work with. Unless there is a lot more space than we can see in the picture, you probably are not going to get 5' in all directions to work with. The shower wheelchair may be a good option to work with as they are generally smaller.

The doors can swing out, but with a wheelchair this is generally considered to be too hard to turn around, move forward until you can reach the knob and actually try to back up closing the door. A pocket door would be much better than an outswing door. Depending on what else is around, a face slider might be an option, but my gut feel is that while it would be out of the way it would be difficult to operate as well. In a master bath, since the bedroom door can be locked for privacy, you may want to consider no doors at all. This certainly would be a simple, affordable solution.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 11:40AM
kitchen remodel floor refinishing and 2 Bathroom Remodels
We have small Bathrooms and want to make best use of...
gmaof7
Remodeling bathroom shower to up date bathroom.
Shower is 5x3 in a 8x5 bathroom. What is the best...
Eileen Vernon
Narrow Bathroom Remodel, Guest bathroom with Beach Color Theme
This is my second bathroom that I have improved. It...
crisplanner
remodel bathroom(s)
I need to remodel very small bathrooms in home.
kencjones
New gift- paint questions!
I received this amazing piece of art - very contemporary...
Amber Trubiak
Before & After Photos
Here’s another project we began working on recently....
VANGUARD development
Bar height or Counter height home bar?
We're remodeling our great room into a game room with...
Jennifer Wood
Powder room design help
We recently bought a fixer upper. The main floor powder...
iknowclc
Is it a good idea to buy velvet sofa
I have to move and buy a lot of furniture, including...
mimi944