just purchased a home and redoing the living room in french counrty reds and yellows
celebrityNovember 21, 2012
Redoing my living/family room all in one. I have a floral print (large) in red from country curtains for my window treatments this is my inspiration fabric. my walls are painted butter yellow from Glidden. I want to do a red coventry/burgess plaid sofa and love seat or a red tapestry print with different shades of red because we have grandkids my sofa can be no longer than 87 inches and my love seat no longer than 64 inches. Also if I go with plaid my curtains are a large print floral so what size print should the sofa fabric be in plaid?
No pic loaded. Can you repost here?
    Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 2:13PM
Stanton Designs-online design services
Any pictures of fabric....scale of the plaid will make a difference.
    Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 2:15PM
celebrity
Attached are my fabrics along with a pic of my tables. need to decide also on a rug color/design and two chairs/recliners for a fabric/design my curtain rods are black. my wall color is a golden butter...but thinking about doing a tuscan finish to soften them.
Thank you so much for your help!!!
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 10:40AM
michigammemom
Celebrity, your photos are still missing. Try attaching them in jpeg format.
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 12:03PM
Sometimes you need to reboot your computer in order to get pics to attach, I've had to do that many times.
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 12:50PM
celebrity
Here are the fabric samples....hope they come through.
Thank You!
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:12PM
Not yet!
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:17PM
celebrity
Have you received it yet?
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:20PM
No, and it will be instant, as soon as you click on SUBMIT.
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:21PM
celebrity
Here we go!
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:26PM
Not yet! Did you try rebooting?
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:27PM
celebrity
Trying again!
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:35PM
Are they in a jpeg format? They need to be. Still nothing, sorry.
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:41PM
celebrity
Hopefully this time.....
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:55PM
celebrity
Hopefully this time.....
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 3:55PM
Ok, here's the deal. When you click on browse and you pick your picture, and then you click on submit, if the link in the browse box disappears the pic didn't attach.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 4:06PM
celebrity
Thank you. I did a repost: redoing my living room in french country.
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 4:12PM
celebrity
Again,,,,
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 4:15PM
Nope!
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 4:28PM
celebrity
I rebooted....
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 4:38PM
celebrity
I rebooted....
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 4:38PM
Not yet! But you absolutely get an A+ for effort!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 4:52PM
celebrity
Okay... I will have to call my son and ask him what is going on with my pc....I'm tired...lol... GOOD night!! I'll try tomorrow.
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 5:10PM
celebrity
one more time
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 5:17PM
celebrity
one more
1 Like    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 5:20PM
Woo hoo! Good for you for not giving up! Now I need to go back an re-read your dilemma......ok, I think the scale is fine, but, on my monitor the red in the curtains is more pink than I'd like. Is it pinkish in person? For your rug - you have enough pattern here already. Try to keep it as simple as possible. [houzz=
] Solid red pillows, maybe a yellow one thrown in for good measure. Your walls sound very pretty !
    Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 6:51PM
celebrity
@olldbob,,, Thank you for your advise and guidance on the pattern scale and rug design. No, the curtains are red in person,,,between a cinnamon and cranberry red.
    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 8:43AM
Ok! Well, what I would do is hold the plaid and floral together and make sure the reds are a perfect match, and if they are, go for it ! This kept me awake for hours last night because I was unsure of the rug. French Country tends to have a lot of pattern to it and I'm thinking the rug I suggested would be too plain. What are your thoughts on it? Here's another suggestion: [houzz=
]
    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 8:53AM
celebrity
@olldbob, LOL...Trust, me I have swatches of the fabrics and they are beautiful together... I have tacked them on the wall laid them on my old furniture... my husband just laughs at me!!! But..Yes, I like your second choice for the rug better..it adds softness and warmth. Now I need to do 2 chairs or recliners.Now this Living room is a multipurpose room and will be used a lot... That is why I also love my plaids this will be my 3rd plaid sofa...lol! They will be together with a table between them. I have been trying to look for durable fabric with the dragonfly design in it or just a solid color with a small pattern in it. What is your thoughts?
    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 9:16AM
I'm mad for plaid, too. Dragonfly's sound great! But these giraffe's look like they were made for that rug: [houzz=
]
    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 12:14PM
Nancy Hehmann
Good for you olldbob! You really hung in there. So glad celebrity got the pictures to attach.
    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 12:45PM
Carolina, I am nothing if not tenacious. Which is a kind way of saying stubborn !!! Thanks.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 1:19PM
celebrity
WOW! The giraffes are stunning with the rug I totally agree! Very DIFFERENT!! Thanks!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 2:16PM
victorianbungalowranch
Do you think a green would go well for the chairs or recliners?

An honest to God Provencial print could be nice in a pillow or something--like a foulard or a border print, stylized floral with stripes, depending on how big the room is to absorb the different textures and patterns. The fabrics you have are sort of a modern interpretation in some very pretty colors. Posting pictures of the space can help.

It also depends on your personal tolerance of business and clashing patterns--it can look fun and interesting, or cluttered and jangles the nerves. I like serene rooms--for other people LOL. I like lots of visual stimulation, but that is because I'm a visual omnivore with a way higher tolerance than most people! Both the more is more and less is best options can be lovely in their own way.
    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 2:55PM
celebrity
@victorianbungalowranch,,,, To be honestly that was my first thought on the chairs the color green!! I like your idea on the different options of a print for the chairs! I love patterns... for me they are breath taking... lol ... Thanks for your ideas...love them!
    Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 6:46PM
victorianbungalowranch
I have a real soft spot for beautiful textiles and intricate pattern and color. Provincial is so happy and bright, and can be lovely. I guess it is a little out of favor right now--but who cares? I think it is lovely, especially with a touch of rustic and the unexpected.

Please post pics of the whole room, even with the fabric draped everywhere. I helps to see.

Project: Martini Project
Ideabook: French Country - Blend
    Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 5:37AM
celebrity
@victorian.........A question for you....I will searching one of my favorite furniture store sites i found a line of furniture by England ...called Bill in plaids that has caught my eye. Do you know how well his furniture holds up? My currant living room furniture is by clayton marcus.....which I waited over a year for it to go to the outlet store and paid 1/3 of what it cost retail back home( 10yrs ago)... We have been really please as how well it is holding up ...going through 10 grandkids and 3 state wide moves! So we are empty nesters now and we still like quality furniture. Thank you for your advise!
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 12:05PM
victorianbungalowranch
I'm sorry, but I'm not the one to ask about quality furniture! Just about all of mine is second-hand or not that expensive! Got to say that my really old (1960s?) Ethan Allen has held up well with multiple moves overseas and all over the states and on loan to dozens of Army families before we got it. Weighs a ton too.

It pays to invest in quality in the long run. Solid wood construction, dovetail joints, reinforced corner bracing, etc... make a difference, as you pobably well know. What are you thinking of buying? Are you going to post pictures of what you have and the room?

Perhaps a professional interior designer here can help you with that. :) I'm a historic preservationist who has always loved anything old--art, clothing, furniture and buildings--my whole life, and a textile nut to boot, and have developed an eye for historic design over the years.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:54PM
celebrity
that is good... my mother and 2 sisters are the same way... they always find good thing... me ... I always missed the good deals.. so I usually do outlet shopping..... I will try to post pics my cp is old.Thanks for thoughts.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:09PM
victorianbungalowranch
It sounds like you get good deals. I just never had a that much money to invest, and used up too much on my weight allowance on books to get too much furniture that I really cared about.

Did get a nice painted hutch and sideboard in Germany after oogling them for years--decent price, comes apart, and in pine from the 1920s rather than some heavy thing in oak from earlier, even though I loved those too. Too fancy and it would make the rest of my stuff look shabby in comparison. Kind of wish a got a few other things, like a Dutch or English style hall tree, though now that we have more elbow room.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 6:26PM
victorianbungalowranch
Hey, I was just looking at the Annie Sloan website (great paint colors BTW, even if you don't use chalk paint.) and she wrote a whole book on how to get the French look. Might be worth checking out! I bet you can get a used copy.

Chalk paint discussion: http://www.houzz.com/discussions/265490/Need-to-decide-how-much-taupe-and-cream-paint (scroll down to bottom)
http://www.amazon.com/Creating-French-Look-Annie-Sloan/dp/1907563954/ref=la_B001H6UE2K_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355850378&sr=1-2

Interesting blog on French and country inspired tablescapes http://confessionsofaplateaddict.blogspot.com/p/about-this-blog.html

Merry Christmas!
    Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 9:07AM
Redoing our Christmas decor. Opinions appreciated!
Hello there, Houzzers! We've FINALLY decided to start...
daylightca
AYUDA!!! Need some help deciding how to redo my bedroom
Hello fellow Houzzers, this is my very first post on...
munecachina
Living room re-do.
Moved into a cool 1966 contemporary home. Dark wood...
Janet Chappell Tarnacki
Cultured stone, pop-outs and front door redo. Good bones need help!
Our new (just purchased) old exterior needs a makeover....
Cindi Keller
Kitchen re-do... where do I start?
I want to re-do this kitchen, but I'm not sure where...
Tess
Help! How do I know what's a good quality sofa?
Hi, I was wondering, how do you know if a couch is...
Rebecca Dyken
Fireplace help!
I really want to redo the fireplace in our great room,...
hilrab86
Paint color help!!!
Really need help with paint colors for my kitchen and...
Angie Hougelin
Great Room Lacks Some Style
I'd so appreciate some ideas to fit my Mediterranean/Transitional...
lamujerdegary
Living room redo
We are redoing our living room, paint, new furniture,...
megkantar