Help for difficult LR
American Marine Systems
November 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Between the Entry and the kitchen, the MBR dbl doors and the Hall, is an area that we are having trouble with. As you can see there is no foyer area. Our plan is to replace the large window on that wall, with French doors to the courtyard, but retaining the main entry. the normal path is from the MBR straight across to the kitchen and from the hall to the kitchen. The design for the house is going to be old world/farmhouse with rough beams and Venetian plastered walls and stone floors. The LR ceiling is vaulted. If we do not replace the window on the entry wall, we have an area that doesn't lend itself to much. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Very awkward plan. Am I just dense? What is the PR area? I'm thinking it would make a nice foyer and change up all the issues with the "jump-into-my- home" entry. FP seems very large. Would you consider centering it where the French doors are and accessing outside through flanking French doors either side of it? Personally, I think the pass-through is a waste of a good wall. Most people are asking for help doing something to hide or make them useful. Can you move the MB French doors closer to the hall to give you good furniture arranging space at the FP end of the room?
November 24, 2012 at 7:22PM   
PRO
American Marine Systems
PR is the Powder Room. There is a portico turret on the exterior of the entry. In the summer or daylight hrs, entering the front door provides a fantastic view of the roiling hills of the wine country, I'd hate to put a fireplace in the middle of that view. In the winter or at night, the fireplace is the center of attention and being in the corner doesn't distract from the daytime view. The pass through provides a view from the kitchen when prepping or washing dishes, otherwise it would be a blank wall or cabinets, very claustrophobic. Moving the MB French doors closer to the hall would put it in the wall. I'm try to find a decor that makes the area next to the entry door useful or less useless without rebuilding the house. I appreciate the ideas, everything helps.
November 25, 2012 at 8:05AM   
PRO
Dytecture
Since there is no defined circulation in this room, my advice would be to group all the seating arrangement close together in order to free up space to walk around the perimeter of the room.
November 25, 2012 at 9:35AM   
PRO
American Marine Systems
What you show is exacly the flow path if you add from Kitch to the hall. It's the area approx. 58 sq-ft. between the entry and hall that's giving such a headache.
November 25, 2012 at 10:05AM   
lefty47
HI -- Can you move the MB door closer to the hall ( to the left) ? And then could you relocate the fireplace straight onto the MB wall some what where the MB doors are on the plan.? The room would work better if these could be done. Then that end wall could have the french doors flanked with another window open to view the garden court yard. Have you given thought to opening the kitchen wall more to the living area ? Then your furniture floor plan can be some what like what Dytecture posted. Corner fireplaces are a pain most of the time and make the balance of the room difficult and for furniture placements.
November 25, 2012 at 11:02AM