Need A New Skin
kdk8
November 21, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Well we bought this because inside its a rectangle house, approaching modern with some small fix ups. But the outside is another story. Hated the color and the front doors since we bought 4 years ago... Want to re-skin maybe even put on a new roof with deeper overhangs, Front entry sucks! sooo small maybe extend front entry? And those "Dutch" style roof lines (only on the front) are actually storage you can access from within the house - useless though... Help! We like a more modern style of home, or west coast contemporary.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houssaon
Is the facade of the top windows in-line with the front of the house?

This is one house that had a "mansard" roof and changed the facad of the second story: Mansard Makeover - before and after. The roof was raised, but us very shallow. It is a craftsman style and you want modern, so forget about the style and just think if the concept would work.

Another option, that would be more practical is to chage the rood to a metal one and the siding including the stone portion to stucco. James Hardie has great stucco products. This is, again not your style, an example of standing seam on a mansard roof with stucco: Southern California Homes. Here is one house with standing seam metal roof and clapbord: Hill Section Home.

The two double hung windows look out of place with the other. I would paint the trim of the windows to match the siding.
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 3:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdk8
No, the top facade is not in line with the bottom. The 2nd floor lost aprox. 2 feet of depth compared to the main floor level. The "mansard" roof line is structural - and what I was wondering is if one could "straighten" up the "mansard" roof - gain the square footage in each room and take the roof off and put on a new roof with a larger over hang like the contemporary photo I've attached, Unfortunately the windows and their casing detail are all vinyl - white ugly vinyl! We are into the investment of new windows also
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 3:30PM