Chair color!?

Jenny EdwardsNovember 23, 2012
I have painted/stained my ugly table and it is less ugly for now. Looking for opinions on what color to paint the chairs (must be paint as I'm not going to strip them to bare wood to stain). Debating between the same dark brown as the base and back wall, or something completely different. I kind of like a red color that reminds me of Campbell's tomato soup!
Nancy Hehmann
I would have done the base and chairs black. But if you like red, I am sure that is the way to go!
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:13AM
nevadan
Your style is obviously very casual. Scrub the chairs and leave them as they are. Put your money into an attractive area rug and some drapes. You might want to use your tomato red on the far wall, more appealing for a dining area that what you have, which is way too dark.
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:15AM
Sherwin-Williams's SW 6333 Foxy is a somewhat tomato soup color and should work nicely with what you've done so far. Have fun with it!
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:16AM
greenthumb2
Hi Jenny,

You can spruce up the entire room with contrasting art (large) on opposing wall. Red is a stimulant color, an action color that cues our appetite. So, depending how much you look at this room... :=)

I love a little red/maroon/wine/bordeaux color in my kitchen area at least two seasons a year. So, if you like to change things up seasonally, you can buy decent seat cushions in red. Tie in a carpet with same colorations and then the pictures for the wall/or accessories. Presto!

May I also suggest a small light on the brown wall as a table lamp? Also, if you own the water cooler, you can paint it to match the back wall and it will recede. :=) a kooky idea.

I'll post a link for you.
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:45AM
Jenny Edwards
Thanks y'all, if you look at my first few postings you'll see that this room has just been professionally painted (colors picked by a decorator I like) and I'm really just looking for chair color ideas. All art and drapes came down to paint, budget reasons mean no new furniture. But...I will move the water cooler back to the kitchen when it gets put back together and I am looking for new art, got a new light fixture, put the drapes back up etc. So although your unsolicited advise may be good, I won't be re-painting or getting a rug :) Cheers, and thanks again.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:50AM
greenthumb2
you should go with your gut.
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:54AM
google rustoleum transformations furniture to see a YouTube video on this easy product.
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 11:56AM
tennisanyone
What a difference painting the base made. Can'twait to see the chairs. Nice job.
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 12:37PM
Jenny Edwards
I realize the base looks kind of grey, I think it's the way the light is reflected off the still-wet paint. The paint is a really dark brown, and I since put a black minwax ebony stain overtop. I like the look, still going to polyeurathane it all once it's dry. The chairs I would like to paint and put cushions on, I just can't decide....dark, light or bright?
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 2:37PM
tennisanyone
What color do you have in the kitchen? If no color, I would paint them green and then use green as your new color scheme around the house. It is so nice to see the transformation when you have been given so many ideas. Great job.
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 3:23PM
Aja Mazin
Well done!

Campbell's tomato red!

Vivid Symmetrical Dining · More Info
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 3:36PM
sondramartina
Jenny,can you tell me about procedure? What exactly did you use?I have oak chairs and tablen in the kitchen and I am dying to paint them .
Thanks
    Bookmark   November 23, 2012 at 3:55PM
builper.com
Dark Green
    Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 5:28AM
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
The table looks great! I would go with red or black for the chairs...
    Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 6:17AM
Jenny Edwards
Sondramartina, I just kind of winged it with what I had. It's dark brown paint, two coats (BM Clinton Brown), and then ebony minwax stain, and a coat of polyeurathane. It looks darker in reality than it does in the picture.

I've decided to paint the chairs the same color, more pictures to come when it's all done.
    Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 6:28PM
The chair color works so well here! What color is that?
Knoll has so many iterations of a similar green, would...
hildahouston
chair color
what's the chair paint color or does it come that way?...
lalasknr
Need help with dining room: table and chairs color/ size, layout, etc!
I need help on deciding on a dinette look: I'm thinking...
Pansy Cra
Family room chair color....help
I have walls that are a darkish taupe (grey squirrel...
itzamelori
HELP! Backsplash 911!!
I need some help please! When installing a kitchen...
Marianna Vecchio-Zimmerman
Kitchen Makeover ideas please
We are going to reface our oak cabinets replace our...
fay711
Painting in a Giant room
I have a room that seems to go on & on...from kitchen...
Marianna Vecchio-Zimmerman
Need Help For Paint Color
I have all my walls BM Edgecombe gray, I wanted an...
Faith Private