Wool fabric - appropriate for duvet material?
Jill Tucker
I am looking for material to make a duvet for my 15 year old son's bedroom. He wanted bright red walls when we built four years ago and I STILL cannot find anything remotely masculine for bedding. It is all floral, swirls, etc. I love the pintuck look but think that is too feminine as well.

Furniture is black. Was thinking a herringbone type print, accented with black or white furry throws. I have attached a sample fabric I thought might look nice. Am worried it would be too heavy but truthfully I doubt he sleeps under anyway. Thoughts?
If your son does use the duvet, he might find a wool cover scratchy. How about something in black and white or gray and white like the duvet covers shown below.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Stripe Duvet Cover and Shams, White/Feather Gray DENY Designs CityFabric Inc NYC Midtown Black Duvet Cover
1 Like   November 23, 2012 at 11:56AM
greenthumb2
If the fabric is quality merino and lightweight, that would be wonderful. If it is heavy, it will be extremely heavy. When dirty, the moths will devour it.

I love the fabric sample your posting here. Just being practical, however, ask yourself:. Is it lightweight and a great deal? If so, do it. If heavy and a great deal, think it over.

I tend to go for natural fabrics but lean to: cotton, linen, wool in this order for the bedroom. Unless, the wool is exceptionally light and soft...Lucky 15 year old! I want you to find something which is easy to care for as well, unless your son does all of his laundry and bedding too. :=) Save the parents from more hard labor at home!
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 12:00PM
mpoulsom
I like the pattern that you have posted, but would not reccommend wool for a duvet, or a duvet cover. If your comforter is down or down and feather it needs to breathe. With down/feather duvets I suggest a cotton or lightweight natural fabric. You can also make a duvet cover with one side (underneath side) being a high thread count cotton sheet and the top half of another color or fabric. I would always suggest a cover for a duvet for easy cleaning and not having to wash the actual duvet as much. You can always have a wool blanket or throw at the foot of the bed for more interest.
Carolyn has posted some good options above as well.
1 Like   November 23, 2012 at 1:00PM
mpoulsom
Here are a couple of options from IKEA...
2 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 1:07PM
nevadan
The whole purpose of a duvet is for it to be machine washable. Therefore cotton or cotton blend. Easy to make from two bed sheets. Sew areound three sides and leave one open for inserting the quilt or blanket. Solid color is best for a teenage boy - dark color will look masculine.
1 Like   November 23, 2012 at 1:18PM
Jill Tucker
I would prefer a twill type/cotton material but have been unable to find this sort of pattern in a lighter material. He actually only sleeps under a sheet, toppers usually are just kicked to the foot of the bed. I am worried about the durability and washability though - excellent point I need to be watching for.

I hate to do a solid color as they show lint easily. Thanks for the suggestions above, they are just a little more modern than my taste.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 2:07PM
mpoulsom
Jill. don't give up...if mod is not what you're looking for, you have plenty of other options. Have you looked at any houndstooth patterned fabric, or something more ralph laurenish. He has a lot of "manly" traditional type fabrics. Maybe you should start looking at sheet sets. You can have the solid sheets and do a patterned houndstooth or something on the top of the duvet cover. If black and white seems too stark for you, with red walls and black furniture, you can do a black and khaki/tan houndstooth or plaid, and then add a red throw pillow, and/or black and red pillow on the bed to tie the red walls together. If you do have a duvet cover made, you can add red piping to the outside edge as well. Start searching houndstooth printed fabric or sheets....You may could find some flannel sheets that would work as well. If I run across anything, I'll let you know!
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 2:43PM
mpoulsom
Not sure if I got this uploaded...but
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 2:45PM
greenthumb2
You know, fabric dye is very user friendly. If you go in for this kind of project. Let me know.
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 11:31PM
greenthumb2

you and son could make his own custom duvet cover. purchase a sample piece of material for practice. purchase dark brown, or dark grey or both fabric dyes, maybe black but use this color last. Decide on design or two. tape off to create four sections. apply fabric dye with rollers or sponges or ? you can use may different objects and roll over them. It would be time consuming to do an entire duvet system but you could do one side solid grey, the second side the custom!
0 Likes   November 23, 2012 at 11:51PM
Need help designing back patio
Hello, I'd love your help designing a large patio that...
I need help with ideas on these dormers in my boys rooms. We are buyin
The empty room is above the garage. It's quite narrow....
Need help with a dining room tablescape
I'm looking for just the right tablescape to set off...
Tiny formal dining room
Hello Houzzers, This is my dining room with my table...
Glass block window in shower? Or does glass block scream "dated"?
I'm re-doing a master bath and want a window in the...