Updated kitchen doesn't flow well to the family room
bgermantown
Our house is decorated with a warm color scheme of golds and oranges. We went a completely different direction when redoing our kitchen. We don't want to make major updates to the family room but instead are looking for ideas to tie the two rooms together - paint color, maybe pillows, area rugs, etc. Ideas?
You just need to add a little orange to your kitchen, using accessories to do it. You could start with a small piece of art, framed and leaning against the backsplash, or hung on a wall. You could put a large bowl full of faux oranges on the island. I'd also add an orange throw to one of the nearby chairs. Don't go overboard with it. Just add something gold or orange, one piece at a time, until it looks right to you. aSunset by Tatsuro Kiuchi Kaska Large Pistachio and Grey Bowl by Leili Design
November 23, 2012 at 12:10pm     
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
you can try changing the chairs and adding some wall art above the fireplace.
November 23, 2012 at 12:13pm   
Yes, directbuy is right! In addition to adding orange to the kitchen, you can take the black from the kitchen and add it to the sitting area nearby.
November 23, 2012 at 12:32pm   
nevadan
Your situation looks awkward because you have the wrong bar stools. Get somehthing homey looking and less industrial and your whole problem will be solved. It is not the color that is causing your ;problem.
November 23, 2012 at 1:21pm     
myrns
Carolyn is right. All you need is some color added with accessories. Red like the Wolf range knobs? You may have gone overboard in de-cluttering for the photos to the point the kitchen looks quite sterile. A big bowl of fruit on the island. Herbs growing in a pot by the window. Red/orange utensil holder by range. Books on the table by the fireplace. The fish on the fume hood looks too small for that location and hung too high. Try it over the window. Love your appliances and floorplan!
November 23, 2012 at 5:45pm     
Hard to see the colors, but the rooms are so contiguous, I would paint the walls the same color, including the hall (above the chair rail). It looks as if you living room is a warm yellow or gold. Do that. What ever the color inside your living room built-ins, take that color, some gold, orange and find a great oil for over the mantel in the kitchen. The two chairs, table and the rug look crowded. A fireplace bench would be beautiful instead.
Canna Flower Impressionistic Painting Original Oil By Carol DeMumbrum
Kathryn Bar/Counter Stool
November 23, 2012 at 6:08pm   
Madeline
I agree that the barstools are part of the problem. I know modern barstools are slim lined, narrow and thin and like this but your kitchen needs some color and warmth, dare I say wood and maybe some fabric?
November 23, 2012 at 6:13pm     
standinginline
What I can see... You can paint the mantel black and add a more colorful piece of artwork above the mantel. Vintage poster art would look good here. And change out the barstools for something without chrome--http://stores.homestead.com/hudsongoods/-strse-1841/industrial-vintage-metal-iron/Detail.bok (possibility)
November 23, 2012 at 9:02pm     
J & D Interiors
I like the barstools! I'd add the color as suggested in a couple of posts. And I might change the color in the arched cabinets in the living room to your kitchen wall color or a few shades darker!
November 23, 2012 at 9:54pm     
ccwatters
Standing at your island counter looking out into your fireplace/sitting area and beyond reads traditional cottage. Beautiful! Standing at that same counter looking into your kitchen reads transitional/modern beachouse. Also beautiful, but these two views need to be unified. I agree that color can help, but I feel like "style" elements / textures are even more important.
First, I would definitely change out the barstools to some painted wood barstools, preferably with exposed wood stain seats. See photo below for example
Second, your very sleek 'dark' backsplash with all of the surrounding SS---even in spite of your white beadboard cabinets---makes the kitchen read more modern. I would get some countertop decor going to soften and brighten the feel. Just 2-3 things with color and different textures. White, coral, yellow or blue. For example, a white ceramic pitcher with some poppies (or dried hydrangeas that have ambered a bit) in it, with a wooden rolling pin lying flat behind it for a backdrop. You could even add a small bowl/basket of fruit next to it. I might put something like that in the corner between your hood and refrgerator. Then for balance...
Third, I would find a rectangular piece of art and put it above the window. Something that has your cool beach blues mixed with your warm cottage red/orange/yellows, framed in wood or distressed black. At the very least, you could move the fish from the hood to above the window...and stick a bright fishing lure in it's mouth

Woven rugs could be an option, but maybe not neessary.
Bowl of fruit to your island can be an option, but not be necessary
Window treatments an option, but not necessary
I'm being presumptious, but I get the feeling you wanted to create an uncluttered feel to your kitchen. So I don't think you have to completely give that up by adding more "stuff", I would just make some minimal changes first.

You have a beautiful house!

[houzz=Shady Grove Kitchen]

[houzz=kitchen and baths]
November 23, 2012 at 10:49pm     
bgermantown
I've enjoyed reading all of the suggestions!! So much to consider. All of the comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks! We're going to repaint the kitchen today and make some of the other quick fixes. Will post updated pics.
November 24, 2012 at 8:33am     
We'll look forward to seeing the updated photos!
November 24, 2012 at 11:03am   
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
You could hang a triptych of kiln-fired art tile right over the backsplash. As your desires change or the seasons change you can change out the art. The art tiles are easy to clean after grease spatter from the stove top
November 24, 2012 at 11:52am   
Siding
We recently purchased this home that has wood vertical...
Too many colors! What to do?
As you can see I have the to many colors/textures ...
Need a custom size area rugs, what are my options?
Need a rug that is 11' x 13' to fit properly in out...
Not white! What color?
Edwardian reno. Center hall is Linen White, dining...
Kitchen update - Small Island - What to do with lighting?
I am updating my kitchen. I will be getting all stainless...