OLLD 11/24
November 24, 2012 in Other
Good Morning !

Well, OLLD ladies, this is it. Today I turn 60 which makes me officially OLD. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this, but turning 60 beats the alternative, no?
michigammemom
Olldbob, Let me be the first to congratulate you. Approach this day with joy!
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 5:00AM
Thank you michigammemom, I'll do my best :)) Have you recovered from Thanksgiving yet?
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 5:54AM
olldcan
Happy Birthday Bobbie. Well I think your young enough to say what you want and OLLD enough to not have to apologize :)
So you share a birthday with Rosanne Barr, the first set of false nails was sold, frozen peas were marketed for the first time and Agatha Christies movie " Mousetrap" premiered. I don't know, looks like it was a great day to me.
Do you have any special plans for today, dinner out, birthday cake?
2 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 5:55AM
Thank you, olldcan! Rosanne Barr, huh? I didn't know that, I didn't know any of that ! I do know that Freddie Mercury died on my birthday, that's always been a bit of a bummer. I liked him, what a voice!

No special plans, thanks, by the time you turn 60 there aren't many left :))
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 6:00AM
Happy Birthday, olldbob! I think you should make some special plans right away--at the very least a swanky dinner and movie or something. Sixty is a big one and shouldn't be ignored!
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 6:09AM
Thanks feeny! I'm sure we'll do something, just don't know what yet. Maybe decorate the tree, it looks naked without ornaments. Maybe I'll have a giant celebration and replace one of the boob lights in the bedroom!!! How are you feeling? Any better?
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 6:15AM
olldcan
I plan on living to 100, so I can drive my kids nutz. I told my 23 yr. old, for every year he stays living at home past 18, that's how many years I'm going to live with him. So far I have 5 years worth of FREEEE. Fly little birdie.
Arrggg, yes Freddie Mercury, I love his voice too. I remember when "Somebody to love" came out. My sister bought that album and we'd lay in the long beige shag (the kind you had to rake) with our heads next to the HIFI. Of course, we were singing along like rock stars!!! From Queen to "Daniel" by Elton John. I still love both of those.
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 6:21AM
olldcan, I don't know how to break this to you, but I don't think your son is taking you seriously !!! What's that expression "live long enough to be a problem to your kids" !!

And my bff and I did the same thing, but to the Beach Boys. And we were part of their air band:))
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 6:25AM
Wow Great Place
Happy birthday, Bobbi!! Though I am not an official part of your OLLD, I will be in 3 years, and have settled on being a voyeur about it in the meantime...just had to pipe in and wish you a wonderful day!!
OLLD rocks!!
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 6:28AM
Thanks Wow! I think you're close enough that if you want to join, no one would mind that you're still so young. Whaddya say ladies? Can Wow join? Yes ???
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 6:32AM
olldcan
Hey WOW, I was a little shy on the age thing too but they let it slide. Great group here, plus one Canuck will always root for another :)
2 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 6:37AM
Two in favor YAY!! feeny? michigammemom? creeser? OLLD judyg is probably still snorin' away, don't hold your breath on her. tipi? Everyone?

Jowls? How much I love them....

btw, michigammemom, I typed your name without copy/paste! WooHoo!
2 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 6:41AM
Completely agree--everyone is welcome to participate, IMO, as honorary elderly (after all, you're all going to get here eventually)!
2 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 6:44AM
olldroo? Where are you? Are you still sick, did you catch's feeny's bug?

Three in favor! Hold tight, Wow, we're getting there!
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 6:55AM
Wow Great Place
LOL I'm honoured! Off to start sketching a room now....then to a cold arena to watch my son's hockey game... I'm in Canada, eh, it's what we do! And call me Joanne! (Although being known as "Wow" does help the ego!)
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 7:01AM
LOL ! I saw a fridge magnet that said "You look thin, have you lost weight" !! That def helps the ego !
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 7:07AM
olldcan
Joanne, enjoy those times at the arena. Although it can seem like a full time job considering every weekend from Sept-Mar is hockey, hockey, hockey. Before you know it, it will be over. At the end of every season, we were all wondering what to do with our time. Many friendships that were formed back in micro-mites and tom thumb are still going strong today. At the height of my Hockey Mom involvement all 3 boys were playing and 2 of the 3 were refereeing as well. Crazzeee times but tons of fun. One of my boys currently works part time at the local arena, maintaining the ice etc. and I can't wait until my Grandson starts to play next year. Good times will come again and thankfully not at my expense this time, eh!!
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 7:15AM
michigammemom
olldbob, Replacing that boob light would be a fitting way to celebrate the day:) Have any of you read Norah Ephron's hilarious book, "I Feel Bad About My Neck"? That was THE first body part that began showing my age. What a shame that in my youth I was too self conscious to wear low cut tops and now I'm trying to camouflage the neck creases. On 2nd thought olldbob, celebrate by buying something with a scandalously plunging neckline!!!
2 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 7:27AM
I LOVE Nora Ephron--hilarious!
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 7:31AM
Plunging neckline !!! hehehe Doubtful! I couldn't even do that in my youth, I've always felt self conscious about stuff like that. I'm not tall but I have incredibly long legs so at least I can still wear shorts. Which is a good thing since the temps here hit 113F last year. About 43C.
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 7:32AM
michigammemom
olldcan, Here is the krumkake recipe.
1/2 Cup soft butter
1Cup granulated sugar
2 Eggs
1 Cup milk
1.5 Cups flour, sifted
1tsp vanilla
Mix all with electric mixer and drop batter by heaping Tbsp. onto hot krumkake iron (electric or stove top) The electric type bakes both sides simultaneously like a waffle iron, whereas the old cast iron stove-top model needs to be flipped to bake both sides to a golden brown. Roll the warm and pliable cookie immediately. Cool thoroughly prior to storing in airtight container to avoid cookie becoming soggy. *Yields appx. 3 dozen
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 8:45AM
I didn't sleep in, miss sixty! Happy birthday to you. I walked 4 miles this morning, had my coffee with the GFs, and we sat outside…very chilly. Then I had to catch up on all your gossip. Hmmmm 1952. Parents built a new house for $19,700.00! And purchased a brand new green Chevy. I got a new suede jacket with fringe on it and I truly believed that Hopalong Cassidy had sent it just for me. (Still pretty gullable!).

Do one special thing for yourself today. No one deserves it more than you on this special day. From my perspective sixty is looking pretty good. Enjoy! I will go all out for you with a toast at 5:00. xxoo
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 9:12AM
Give it up judy, we all heard you snoring ! Thanks for the birthday wish. Nothing special, just trying to talk R into new living room furniture, in vain !!!

1968, just moved to California, my parents paid $21,000 for an unbelievably small house, after selling in NJ for $19,000. New house = 1100 sq ft, old house three full stories. My father bought it without my mother seeing it, I think she wanted to kill him !!!
1 Like   November 24, 2012 at 12:30PM
nasmijati
Happy birthday, olldbob! :)

Welcome to our group, wow. We try not to give ANY identifying info about ourselves here. This group a bad experience about six weeks ago. Anonymous is safer.

I decided not to replace any flooring. I will just have the carpet cleaned after "fiscal cliff" reveals how much discretionary cash I have to work with.

Meanwhile, I have leaves to rake on the north side of the house. The leaves on the southwest side are still half green. With the drought in this area continuing, I will not plant any bulbs in the garden this autumn.

The Jamaican Ginger Ale was a hit at Thanksgiving dinner. I am told by the host that a bit of whiskey makes it even better.

olldroo, are you feeling any better?
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 3:03PM
Wow Great Place
Hi eztia, I hear you. Which is why I will remain a voyeur for the most part, as I do not have anonymity here! I do appreciate you guys, though, as I see many intelligent, thoughtful posts on design coming from this group in the Discussion threads!
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 3:13PM
WGP, Joanne, I don't know how intelligent but, thank you, we are thoughtful. And irreverent with each other. A lifetime of making a house a home gives us some kind of perspective and once in a while we are spot on with the design. Keep up with us.
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 4:04PM
Thank you Tipi!! Errr.....extia!!! Does your Houzz name mean something?
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 4:14PM
olldcan
michi, thanks for the recipe. I'll let you know how they turn out, I plan on making for the holidays.
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 7:24PM
olldroo
Roo all better - she felt the love and it did wonders, and she thanks you.

Think my body was trying to tell me something, with my left knee and right hip throbbing, neck, shoulders and legs aching and feet burning I have only been sleeping in cat naps and I think it caught up. Really upset tum yesterday but soldiered onl and we got the lounge room and entrance all painted plus the 1st coat on the dining room ceiling. I was in bed by 5.30pm totalled, still didn't sleep, but definitely the aches and pains were more diminished this morning. BH was all geared to continue and finish the dining room today but when I got up, ate breakfast, lost beakfast, he knew he had to back off. Gave him a list of things only he can do and he is happily immersed in them. Don't think the weather is helping either suddenly it is 29 today but feels like 39 and the humidity is huge.

My lounge guy rang Friday, to say the lounge is finished and ready to go and the ottoman will be done this week, then all delivered the following week - can't wait. The wall colour came up great, hardly any difference in one way to the previous colour, it was just a blue blue which this has a green tinge. Just the shade I wanted and looks perfect with the piece of lounge fabric I have.

Happy Birthday OB, hope you have had a great day - oh to be 60 again!!!. Can't you con R into giving you the new furniture as a birthday pressie ............ and Chrissie......and the next.......and the next....................... heehee!!

Welcome to Wow!!! With a name like that, who can say no. Olldcan qualified as a grandma.

I thought I might have had one up on you OB when I worked out who eztia was - drat, no flies on you are there.

Just noticed too we haven't heard from j222b for ages. Hope we weren't too much for her, she seemed really nice.

Very disappointed yesterday and today hasn't been filled with all your Thanksgiving stories and successful meals. I expected far more. I think my tum can take it ............... oh - but maybe your's can't. (teehee).

My daughter's first Thanksgiving was an outstanding success and she has been unanimously voted future Family Thanksgiving Hostess. M-I-L normally does it but she is getting a bit longer in the tooth than we are and it is getting a bit much for her. DD arrived home after their 3 day break at 3pm Wednesday, hit the washing machine and started a house clean she was hoping to have done before they left. Now when my daughter cleans, I kid you not, even the underside of the dining room table would be polished. She finished at 1am!!! On the day she worked out the cooking times for everything, put the longest cooking thing in the oven first and timed everything down from there. She also bought dishes on stands with tea lights so everything stayed piping hot right through to seconds. She did a potato and cheese bake, yams with a pecan nut topping, I think she said zucchini, and a salad with pecan nuts also. The stuffing was so successful M-I-L even went back for seconds just of that and gravy, and M-I-L is very fussy. She also made cornbread but instead of doing it in loaves, she decided it could be too hard to slice hot so she put it into muffin tins and just tipped the muffins into a basket. That was a big winner also. Didn't get to ask her about sweets.

Have you guys been following this discussion http://www.houzz.com/discussions/250737? She has the most amazing timber shelving around the room that half the idiots want to paint, (fortunately her hubby says no) but I kid you not they are literally rearranging her stuff shelf by shelf, book by book and object by object. I laugh one person - janicehill - arranged a shelf for her then says she has to take the dog for a walk and after that comes back and does the next shelf. Admittedly she had way too much on the shelves originally, but she keeps saying it is the room where they all love to laze and watch TV, like it is a room to relax in but they are trying to showcase it to within an inch of its life. I really think she has o/d on this site. I have to stay off the discussion or I might left fly and Emily won't like me.

I have to go a melt a little, this heat is ridiculous after being low 20s for weeks.
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 8:40PM
Thanks, olldroo! And congrats to your daughter for a successful Thanksgiving dinner! She's very ambitious.

I was following that discussion for awhile but it got out of hand and I lost interest. That's a lot of book shelves, no?
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 3:01AM
olldroo
Yes, in one way, but appropriate for the room. I'd love a room like that to store all my books, videos, DVDs and photo albums minus the dust collectors. It would be a room for "living" not showcasing and to heck with what anyone else thought..

Got so hot here today - made it to 32, although my daughter said LA wasn't much cooler and she was photoshooting the kids for their Christmas cards. Took over 400 photos!!!! Lucky for her, they love the camera.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 3:18AM
It's been warmish here too, not that unusual. It's not til December we get the real cold stuff started.

You think 32 is hot??? We hit 43C last year !!!
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 3:21AM
olldroo
Yeah, but we are still in spring. DD said they had no humidity though and sadly that is what makes things so much worse here. January/February we will be up around the 40s - and dripping. Need a full body Depend!!
1 Like   November 25, 2012 at 3:38AM
olldroo
So how did your birthday finish up?
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 3:39AM
olldroo
Oh, found that cookbook I thought I had tossed, that I thought the pumpkin pie was in, but it isn't. Drat, have absolutely no idea where I found it now. Will keep my eyes open, just in case I still have it. Gave a lot of my books to my nice young neighbour who is an avid cook so will check them out too.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 3:44AM
creeser
Happy belated birthday Bobbi! I'm so sorry I missed you yesterday, we were decorating for Christmas. And yes, sagging jowls qualifies for olld. Please join us Wow! Did you have a good b'day B?
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 5:03AM
mpoulsom
oh olldbob, i feel like a schmuck! I missed your bday!! Hope it was good....got up at some ridiculous hour yesterday morn and then ended up taking a 2 hour nappiepoo from 12-2! LOL! I suck!
Did some shopping yesterday for misc stuff. Brought the concrete hearth in last night. I am soooo glad it didn't break. whew!
J and I have decided to skip any elaborate lighting in the front for christmas...lights are outrageous! holy moly! We had some, but not enough to do this house. SOOOO, we are just going to concentrate on the garden shack and turn it into a gingerbread house. Go after christmas and buy lights on sale for next year.
I never showed you guys the headboard I got for the bedroom. After painting it and adornnig it...we put it together last night, only to find that we had full size side rails and not queen. Well, that didn't work. I could not believe it. I bought it from my neighbor, so hopefully they have the right side rails somewhere! Just ended up taking it apart and putting the mattress and springs on the floor for last night.
I'm sitting here with the end of a key lime pie and coffee.... :)
Oh yea, went to tuesday morning and got 2 annalee elves that are bendable and cute cute cute! of course they are on the new mantel! and 2 gingerbread animated thingys that sing we wish you a merry christmas and dance. I love them! But J keeps placing them in obscene positions!
i will talk to everyone soon!!!
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 5:44AM
Thanks creeser, no problem, no worries. Did you get your decorating done?

I'll open 11/25 now.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 6:04AM
creeser
No, just the decorations moved from the old house. I have my main tree up, but not decorated and a few Santas out, but that's about it. I'm wading through boxes this morning trying to decide where everything should go. It's a whole new setup with the new house.
1 Like   November 25, 2012 at 6:07AM
WOW! That is some discussion. Some of the posts were cliffhangers. I gave up because the anticipation was too much for me to handle! Next week, on "Arranging Your Bookshelves" there is going to be a special guest, a direct descendant of Freud's,
addressing the issue; "should books be arranged alphabetically, by color, or by ascending/descending height. Stay tuned as it is sure to be riveting post.
1 Like   November 25, 2012 at 9:42AM
olldroo
Judy - are you serious!!!!! I definitely won't be safe there.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 3:24PM
judy, judy, judy, sarcasm ! I love it !
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 5:38PM
OLLD11/11/13
HAPPY VETERANS DAY Are there any veterans out there....
OLLD 11/11
Good morning and happy Veterans Day! I was thinking....you...
OLLD 6/11
Morning! Am I the first or did I miss something?
OLLD - 5/11
Hope I'm not duplicating a discussion someone started...
OLLD 4/11
Good Morning! Did I wake you? hehehe Hope everyone...
Color clueless
PLEASE..! Please ..! Please...! Help me find the best...
Colours that works with the floor
I just bought a house and the kitchen is stumping me....
Need help with my entryway
I have this rigips dressing in the entry way, and I...
Need help with our 70s era split level exterior.
We are going to be doing a second floor addition over...
Have you ever sold a home as a "For Sale By Owner" transaction?
I've never been brave enough to go it alone when selling...