Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zinggy

Still looks empty and not satisfied.

zinggy
11 years ago
Just did some new makeover in my family room but still not satisfied on how bare they still look especially the wall and the windows any ideas are welcomed
Cathy (oakville Canada)

Comments (43)

• greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    objects all same shape and height (on the mantle) are making you wonder. I think a circle or semi circular work of art would pick up the swirl in the rug and tie the room together. Can use picture/painting art to impart this or sculpture. I'll give you a link. Pillows are nice but too large for this love seat. If you don't sew, can you have someone take them down in size? May even make four oblong pillows out of these two. Then, you can add the other two to your other sofa. Your art on the other wall is pretty but too small by itself. Can add a torchiere lamp perhaps, or offset the large painting with two smaller ones next to it. But, moving the painting to the right first. link coming.
  • PRO
    Adrian Ramsay Design House
    11 years ago
    hi there zinggy,
    classic treatments would be a framed mirror or piece of art over the mantel of the fire place, make it big, and add curtains / drapes to the windows sliding them to one side,
    the sides away from the fire place on a simple rail,
    i would look for a textured or printed fabric that works closely with your wall color not a heavy pattern, you may never close these, if you decide to have them as decoration only don't under do the volume of them otherwise they will look wrong.
    the wall with the art and 2 seater sofa needs to be lined up and maybe look for smaller cushions these are dominating the sofa i would look for 2 plain cushions with texture, one print, and one rectangle with beading or something such like, match something onto the other sofa as well, use colors from the rug etc to tie it all together.
    maybe add a bunch of candles various heights, shapes, colors and sizes to the Hearth of the fire place in the center for summer months.
    i would also add a lamp or two a floor lamp to the left of fire place in the empty corner and one to the glass table beside the 2 seater on the entry door side (i think)

good luck hope this helps
    cheers adrian
    ARDH
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    Set of 2 Circular Reasonings Prints · More Info

not saying "these" are your style at all. However the colors work with your room.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    :=)
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    working on your windows now. :=)
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Panels would be a nice addition to the windows in a tan or rust color thats in the pillows or in the rug. In addition to nice pictures on the walls. Could you post a picture showing more of the room?
  • ccwatters
    11 years ago
    I agree with the great suggestions regarding your mantel and window treatments that ARDH and others pointed out. Posting a pic for you of a very pretty mantel from another poster.
    Also, if your loveseat can be brought off/away from the wall and brought up to your srea rug, I would do that (not sure though as you didn't post pic of full room view). I think furniture looks better pulled away from walls, and grounded with a rug (sofa table behind, lamp on table, etc). I also am not seeing any lamps, which add warmth and interest to a space.
  • zinggy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are more pics thank you all for the idea,was already thinking of the panel but wasn't sure putting a curtain and drape over a shutter window was interior design acceptable ,as for the lamp and paintings am still searching.
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the pictures. Place a big picture over the fireplace and this will solve some of the problem ( a big abstract or big flower picture will work). Can you take a picture from the kitchen so that we can see into the room a little better. Hard to see how the furniture is placed in the space. Thanks.
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    I really like your birch tree painting. Forgot to tell you when I got too busy giving you ideas....
  • zinggy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Anita here is the view from the kitchen area
  • zinggy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @greenthumb2 am still waiting on the window ideas
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi zinggy, took a nap. :=) here goes....
    http://www.crateandbarrel.com/sale/sale-accessories/bri-vase/s313068
    more coming
    Contemporary Roman Shades · More Info

not sure if you even like blinds or shades. this room reminded me a little but of your home.
    Grisell Navas · More Info
    (open this one up to see the top of windows)...not feeling good today. back manana. I personally like drapery because we can take them with us if we have to move. :=)
  • inkwitch
    11 years ago
    1. Rug is too small. Ideally front feet of all seating should be on the rug.
    2, Painting needs to be centered over loveseat.
    3. Three items on the mantel is enough, not all the same height or type or color. A painting or mirror would add to the mantel.
    4. Cushions on loveseat are way too big. Smaller, softer. Colors are good.
    5. A sofa table behind the sofa would look good. GOod place for a lamp. Move some of your mantel objects to that.
    6. Need a floor lamp beside the loveseat.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Furniture placement is bugging me, but TV rules in the decor world today. I would prefer the large sofa against the wall so it isn't blocking things up. Then float the smaller sofa to form an "L" and all sofas should have front feet on the rug. This one is probably way too small. Try it in your foyer. The birch tree art is much more proportionate to the large sofa and should be centered and hung 4-6" above it. The floral cushions are good for color but are all more like floor cushions. Decor items look better when grouped in threes and fives, unless there is a stunning pair of items that need to take center stage together.
  • Nadejda Hristova
    11 years ago
    wallpaper on the wall only with the TV something like this - 1 wall: http://www.linesofpinner.co.uk/w-villanova.php?categoryID=Wallpapers&subcategoryID=W-Villanova&productname=Yoshino&productID=W512-02, mirror above the fair place, and good curtains double road,. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1158790&categoryId=cat1560017.... fix all in quick time and get color and nice home stay -:) not that much money ....will fit all !
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Thanks zinggy for the pictures. Panels are needed on the windows to help warm the space in a color thats in the rug. (decoenthusiaste) you hit it on the nail with your comments. The tv by itself is too small for the big wall. You could even place the longest sofa on that wall along with your picture and have the smaller sofa facing it on the opposite side.. Place the rug in the middle of both sofas and place the coffee table closer to the longest sofa. Add a small plant and a group of candles or a small plant and a big coffee table book or two.You could place the tv on the wall opposite the fireplace also ( a much bigger wall unit would be nice also for the tv if you have the budget). Either switch the side table to wood ones and add lamps to both of them, or place lamps on each glass side table. On top of the fireplace place a big picture of art similar to what you have. Remove all of the pillows from both sofas (they don't add to the space visually). Replace them with accent pillows with tan ,brown, or the rust color in the rug (something with a bold print, stripes or another pattern ) . Place two plants on either side of the fireplace in nice pots also. Last replace the throw with one in the colors in the rug and place it on the arm of the longest sofa. Try this and see if you like it. Please post picturess of the finished room.
  • windingcreek_creations
    11 years ago
    Love the birch bark painting. I would put that over the fireplace and use it as a theme. Birch is big right now. I don't know if you live near a forest with birch trees, but it might be a fun day trip to go to the woods and collect fallen birch branches. I would place cut, narrow logs in a basket near the hearth. You could also put a couple tall, unstripped birch branches in a large vase or bucket in one of the empty corners. Print out several of your favorite digital photos in black and white, same size, and construct either a collage, or get several 3 dollar black frames and arrange them in a square over your loveseat. Scour your local goodwill/resale shop for a simple, low, long bookcase,and possibly flank them on either side by two more tall bookcases. Paint them one of your accent colors ( I would go with that gorgeous eggplant color in you pillows-just me) and put your tv etc on that. You can drill holes in the backboard for wires. ANYthing is perfect for display as long as there is some cohesive element to them. A bunch of books with the same color bindings, or cover them all in brown, black or white paper. Baskets for CD's and movies. Clear jars full of pinecones, stones, acorns, or shells. Windows: love the shutters! A simple valance or valance with swags. And finally- a nice size plant, real or faux, and a couple of lamps. Fun fun FUN!
  • creativesewing
    11 years ago
    curtains and a big mirror or art on top of the fireplace is the first thing that came to my mind. thefireplace should be more the focus.
  • zinggy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Update
  • windingcreek_creations
    11 years ago
    Nice job! Love the clock. Love the rug. Really like the fern and the tall sculptures used to fill that corner. I'm thinking maybe a tall floor lamp? I might try an assortment of round, shallow baskets on the walls on either side of the tv. EIther that, or shelves? You could try placing that first rug under your dining room table, if you still have it. Overall it seems to really be coming together!

[houzz=
    San Anselmo Dining Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    San Anselmo Dining Room · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Decorative Bowl Wall Art · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Big Island ocrean front residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Adelson · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Modern Family Room · More Info
    ]

Love the idea of the tv wall being an accent color as well.
  • sondramartina
    11 years ago
    Zinggy I really like new rug,much better than previous one.Where did you purchase? In Oakville?
  • kah416
    11 years ago
    I think a large entertainment center would really that wall up, and maybe sitting chairs on either side? :)
  • jansgirl
    11 years ago
    Oh my gosh!! Such an improvement already!!! Love the mirror you have over the mantel. Very good choice along with your new chair.

Yep, you need a entertainment unit and I really, really vote for winding creek"s Adelson example.(only in white) I like that it is not a big heavy piece of furniture. Could see the wall an accent color/simple wallpaper--is there a soft green in your chair that would work?

Neutral drapes, close to your current wall color with a wide band of your ?rust? raspberry? along the bottom. And should you choose an accent color, use that as a thinner band above the rasperry band.

Would be interested to see if you have tried switching the sofa and loveseat for better traffic flow. And I just have to ask......why is the one glass table in the middle of the room?

Can't wait to see more!! This is looking so good!
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    Hi Zingy. I have a feeling the coffee table is important to you. However, it's not working in here. If you are attached to it, place it someplace else (another room for a few days)

PS Your room looks absolutely beautiful. Much better than before. Agree though that it's difficult to make this a sitting, TV, and family gathering place. It has all the pieces in there but the TV is the dual focal point with the fireplace. Hmmm. the linear line of the fireplace stops and then we have window and wall and black box. Yes, either a shelving situation (floating) or a way to better utilize the wall space without making it look cluttered. would move the eye through the room easier... Like your chair in there!
  • zinggy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Sondaramartina I got the rug at winners (trafalgar)
  • zinggy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @jansgirl yes I have switched the seat below is the pics
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Hi Zinggy. It looks better, but there are still some tweeks you can do to improve the over all look.

If it were my house I would put the sofa on the wall the TV is currently on. I would put the loveseat directly across from it. The TV would go on the wall opposite the fireplace, so if I were sitting down I could see both the TV and fireplace. See photo for sofa/loveset arrangement.

I would put the chair in the corner where the plant is now and make a little reading nook.

The mirror should be hung, not leaned against the wall. Hang it about 4 inches above the mantle.

The tree picture should be centered above the sofa, but hung only 6" up.

I would add drapery panels to the windows. See illustration for how to hang them.

Hope to see more updates.
  • melindavalle
    11 years ago
    I agree with Janishill ... curtains/drapes in an ivory color would add warmth and completeness to your already improved works.
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    11 years ago
    Definitely need some color on the windows--curtain panels drawn back to each corner. Entertainment unit on the tv wall. Or paint that wall so it does not look so sparse!
  • Jenna Emrich
    11 years ago
    The wall where your tv is looked so empty...it is not balanced with the rest of the room. You should consider creating a built in look with book shelves on either side of the tv, or at least mount the tv on the wall and put a sofa table beneath it. I would also put up some drapes over the windows. A larger coffee table or ottoman in the middle would fill the space more too.
  • jansgirl
    11 years ago
    Zinggy-I like the new arrangement better. Do you? This room looks cozy at night. Lucky you!
  • zinggy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is where I am as of today I am hanging the TV on the wall where it is now tomorrow .thank you all for the advice and help am still eager to take more advice and critics
  • PRO
    Bluecopper Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Much improved from where you started! I'd still add drapery panels and shelves on either side of tv or larger media cabinet. I don't mind the coffee table but it looks like it needs to be closer to the sofa vs, centered in the room. I also agree with a sofa table behind the floating sofa. And I actually like the clock leaning instead of hung on the wall - more current and casual. (Ask 5 different designers and get 5 different answers, right?) Nice progress.
  • SweetDreen
    11 years ago
    Your doing an awesome job. I love seeing the changes.
  • inkwitch
    11 years ago
    Love it! Love it! Love it! What a transformation! It's a stunning room. Have only a couple of comments.

THe coffee table needs to be near one of the seating, not floating in the middle of the floor. I opt for a location close to where the 2 sofas come together. Then you get another small table to go at the corner of the chair -- one of those ceramic barrels in black or rust or deep green; a chunky wooden something; you'll know it when you find it. Just big enough to sit a glass or cup on, maybe have some small decorative item. It's for convenience, but it also "dresses" and completes the area of the chair.

Love the plants, but I think 1 with the giraffs (love them!) is enough. Put the other one in the dining area. (It needs something.)

Draperies in the living room area would be very elegant, especially silk shantung (a particular weave of silk with a "pulled" thread --- you'll recognize it when you see it. It can be faux but the real thing isn't that pricey) which has a rich sheen. And I love the idea of a band of rust on the bottom. Nothing too formal and no valances.

You have done wonders, and I am so impressed. All any of us need are a few idea to get our imaginations going, and look what happens! Stunning!
  • sondramartina
    11 years ago
    Zinggy check Fabricland for ready made drapery panels.They have nice selection and 50% off.You can get 96"long, 2 panels for 25$ . I don't know if they have silk panels.
  • zinggy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for your comment and critics it helps and energizes me to keep going.
  • T Bearie
    11 years ago
    Perhaps move your birch painting to above the fireplace. Even though its another geometric shape, it is a natural organic subject with depth and softer lines. The pillows on the love seat go with the area, but do overwhelm because of their size. Pulling some of the blue grey out of the painting and adding it to your space (a couple smaller, solid pillows) would give it a bit more, but not too much variation. Maybe add a basket on the floor. Adding textures like baskets can bring the dark color of the floor up into the room. Hope this helps.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    You have worked hard and it shows. What a great job. I would imagine the room feels so much more comfortable now! Does it?

If you can move the two large pieces (loveseat and sofa) so the arms touch and they form an 'L' shape. Then bring the small glass end table in closer to them. Next move the coffee table closer to the sofa. Turn the chair so it angles and is facing in the direction of the small table between the sofa and loveseat. The palm should be back behind it.

I like both giraffes there, but with the chair moved they may need to move to the hearth.

The round mirror behind the sofa would reflect the light from your window then the birch trees print can go above the fireplace.

I would like to see a glass sofa table behind the loveseat. You could put some of your art figures on it rather than on the hearth.

These drapes might work: http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/for-the-home/departments/window-treatments/in-home-services/custom-decorating-/resource-center/fortune-faux-silk-solid-rod-pocket-drapery-panel/prod.jump?ppId=156a99c&catId=cat100260226&subcatId=cat100260213&deptId=dept20000011&N=1402 1405 1504 4294966702&pageSize=96&topDim=Color&topDimvalue=blues&dimCombo=Color%7CColor%7CTop+Construction%7CItem+Type%7C&dimComboVal=blues%7Cwhites%7Crod+pocket%7Cpanels%7C&currentDim=Item+Type&currentDimVal=panels
    They would put some color in the room and it looks like the shade of green will work with your chair.

Keep on with what you are doing. Can hardly wait to see more updates!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I agree that the birch trees would look better above the FP. Mirrors should reflect something beautiful or interesting, so "no" to a mirror unless there is a way to hang a striking chandy right in the center of the room that will reflect in it. Clocks are the lazy way to decorate. Unless you're teaching children to tell time the old fashioned way (which they do need to know) or you're digitally challenged and can't be bothered to look at your cell or other device for the time, I consider them to be pure marketing by the big box stores. Your room is really coming along though. Keep tweaking!
  • PRO
    Cheery Curtains
    11 years ago
    Hi, you may need curtains for a beautiful view. Here attached are some photos you may like.