Help with louis xv living room! Please
Maria Rivera
area rug, opinions, i like contemporary and eclectic style... any idea? please!
Nancy Hehmann
Here is one I found but pricey.
http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/surya-htg-1003/gray-blue/158HTG1003-9013.html

For less expensive are rugs look on Target.com or JCPenney.com
November 24, 2012 at 11:17am     
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
First, I think you need a colored wall behind the furniture to make the Louis-style furniture pop and soften the black chandeliers.

Second, as you are aware, the white tile floor looks very cold with the off-white furniture, but the furniture grouping is very large and the space is long for a single area rug to tie them together. I think I'd consider having something custom-made, perhaps a standard carpet with the edges bound.
Maybe a Monaco Blue or dusty lavender to counter that gray-beige stone wall . . . the color report says those colors are IN this spring.
November 24, 2012 at 12:33pm     
greenthumb2
Find the colors you are attracted to that flow with your french queen Anne legs and heavy grey wall. I like the suggestions above, but usually a rug is first, or so I am learning...still rug and wall color should flow. You do need a balance of color and weight in the room. I can give you a link of information to help. thank you for posting Maria. :=)

for color combos. see how the lavender works with the blue grey art. your wall is blue grey (or looks that way)...just colorizing ideas here..Modern Elegance: Living Room
here is a room where the only accents colors are rattan/sisal and silver to offset the white furniture and black accents
living room
last one: The Ladue House
notice the original floor in each/then the rug to accent. all of the examples pick these colors up somewhere...
November 24, 2012 at 12:47pm     
Kim D
Your pictures are so interesting; I think I would start with a rug that grounds the space and pulls in the black chandeliers with the stone wall and white furniture, that could take months and months. If you don't want to start there start with a furniture arrangement that give you of an idea of how you will move in the room....then start to decorate.
November 24, 2012 at 1:19pm     
Your room would look better if you didn't have everything in the same style. So let's think about replacing the coffee table with the nice marble topped one shown below.

Next we'll lose the two bigger chairs and place one of the smaller ones at each end of the sofa. A mirrored drinks table, shown below, will go beside each chair. The black screen will separate this seating group from the entry. Place it close behind the sofa and chair.

Now our room desperately needs some color. Below are two rugs that are possibilities, one an orange shag and the other an orange and white zebra pattern. I'd add the pillow below, plus some solid orange and pink pillows to the sofa and chairs. A shocking pink throw would look good draped over the sofa back.

On the wall over the sofa, I'd place a large piece of abstract art in the colors we're using in the room.
Having removed two chairs, we'll add more seating with a bench placed opposite the sofa.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Smart Round Marble Top Coffee Table | CB2 Faceted Mirror Side Table Jay - Folding Screen Orange & Pink Circle Pillow Albino Zebra Rug Ultimate Shag Rug, Orange Modern Art Abstract Art by Bangbouh Simone Bench
November 24, 2012 at 1:19pm     
By the way, I suggest you remove everything from on top of the piano and paint the wall behind the piano a hot pink.
November 24, 2012 at 1:21pm     
I would also repeat the hot pink paint on the wall behind the sofa with an 8' wide stripe, floor to ceiling.
November 24, 2012 at 6:06pm     
anitajoyce
With all of your nice white or beige furniture and light tone of the floors, it would be nice if you could paint the wall on the left in an accent color such as a light grey or tan, so that the furniture stands out a little more. Yes a rug would warm the space up also. check out Kohls.com, Lowes.com , Home depot.com or other reasonably priced retailer for rug choices.
November 24, 2012 at 7:21pm     
Agree that there is too much matched furniture here. Would take the small Louis armchairs to the ends of the dining table and group the two Bergeres with the sofa around your coffee table painted to match this great little French commode which you need. Here are a couple of rugs too. Match CA-KD's hot pink paint suggestion to the shade in this commode, and get some of these pillows for the sofa and chairs. Put a beveled glass top on the coffee table and a silver mirror or a pair to mount on the 8' pink stripe behind the sofa. You need a couple of floor lamps so I'd mix it up with one of each of these; contemporary and French. I'd think about moving the black piano to the wall to the right, clear off the top and paint both of those walls with the hot pink. Then put this silver armoire and butterfly chair against the stone wall as part of the music room. You need a fab wall sculpture to mount on the stone under the lights, but haven't found it yet - maybe a giant silver horse head Well, I could go on but... Have fun tweaking this!
French Hot Pink 'La Vie en Rose' Commode
Jiti Psychedelic Hot Pink Rectangle Pillow
Chantal Wall Mirror
Fine Art Lamps Beveled Arcs Floor Lamp
Contemporary Hubbardton Forge Mobius Arc Floor Lamp
Antoinette Mirrored Silver Armoire
Butterfly Chair
November 24, 2012 at 9:14pm     
Great ideas, deco! I particularly like the hot pink commode and the butterfly chair!
November 25, 2012 at 8:06am   
Thanks CA-KD! Meant to suggest that the coffee table be topped with a beveled mirror, not simply glass. This should be a fun room! Hope Maria is adventurous!
November 25, 2012 at 8:14am     
Me too, but we know that we've given her plenty of fun ideas, and she's not the only one who will be reading our ideas. Others may also learn something from our suggestions.
November 25, 2012 at 8:39am   
Davette Kemp
Move the high wing chairs with the backs to the entry way, move piano to the wall where the sofa is, move sofa where the back is faced away from front door, backing to the plant stands to make a sitting/listening area for the piano. Move the coffee table & other 2 chairs to the area where the piano is at now to make a sitting coffee area. THEN, select a large piece of art or area rug. Start with a color that keeps your interest as a base color, but only a little of it. Your home seems to have clean lines and contemporary, so I would not add more ornate furniture. I think for this room to work with what you have you will want to keep it sophisticated. Try to align the piano in between the chandeliers on its wall.. Then you might see the room style unfolding based upon this arrangement. Btw, I LOVE the stone wall sooo much!!
November 25, 2012 at 8:45am     
Kitchen colors. Help!!
Putting GE slate color appliances in my new kitchen....
Granite help! choosing Donna Sandra or Pedra Azul for white kitchen
We are remodeling our small kitchen and can't decide...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Need reviews on faux wood vinyl planking designer image flooring
Any cons on using the designer image vinyl planking...
need a new front door color
I need help deciding on a front door color. The brick...