Help with making a movable island
Vicki Williams Interior Design
November 24, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Well I finally did it. I just bought a triplex & will live in one & rent out the other two-in fact already have my first renter! My contractor, so cool! However I am now joining the growing group of of people living in tiny living spaces-my new home is about 350 sq.ft.
I have designed my kitchen using the honey maple cabinets that were in my son's home, (he is doing a gorgeous remodel, as we speak), so it is a little interesting as I have to use the size boxes that he had as opposed to what sizes I could have used if it were all brand new but it is working-except I need a floating island because I have hardly any counter space or floor space. to be able to open my oven I need to move the island out of the way so...I have a Base 42,
(42W x 24D x 36H) that is the perfect size but my contractor says it will tip if I put casters on it, that it has to be 36 deep. That is too big! I know you can buy them ready made that size-24" deep-.

Does anyone have any knowledge that will help me be able to use this size? I am just not ready to give up on it yet. Thanks, help! Don't know how to do pictures, sorry.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Emily Hurley
Eek! I'd hate to see it tip over. I wonder if there is a way to make it sturdy enough? Maybe depending on the type of hardware you use to roll it around, you can do something more steady?
November 26, 2012 at 11:24am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Ryan Sullivan
Get locking casters. You lock them when in use and unlock to move it around.
November 26, 2012 at 11:27am     
More Discussions
Sitting Room mirror decision!
I have a relatively dark sitting room with a large...
Something is missing in my family room design...HELP!
I recently remodeled my downstairs with tile flooring,...
What's your dream kitchen style?
Minimalist, farmhouse, traditional, rustic... Which...
Unused kitchen gadgets?
To coincide with the launch of Houzz UK, we've released...
Dingy dining room help
I have slowly been updating the color scheme in the...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™